Class of 2019 - QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Garrett Shrader (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/19/20)

Numbers are in our favor now.

Between DeVito and Shrader, the odds are good we have good QB play all season.

After that, between DeVito (if he does another year), Shrader, 'Ssippi, Tex, and Lamson, hopefully odds remain good that we have good QB play the following season.

After THAT, between Shrader, 'Ssippi, Tex, Lamson, and whichever other QBs come in, hopefully odds remain good that we have good QB play the season after that too.

That's a pretty good timeline.

Landing Shrader helps us in several ways:
  • It gives us real competition at the QB spot for the first time since Dungey was here.
  • He is not only a fantastic athlete-We're getting a guy who already has 4 starts under his belt against SEC competition. Coming here in the Spring gives him a chance to be off and running on day 1 and he already has film to see what he needs to work on.
  • His ability to run can help mitigate our biggest weakness-Our OL.
  • Even if he doesn't win the starting job, the staff can have Tommy run more aggressively because we have a ready-to-go QB behind him. Devito has decent speed-I believe we have rarely utilized it for QB draws for fear of injury w/ our backup situation. The QB draws put more pressure on the D, possibly cutting down some of the blitzing and putting the option back in the run-pass option, taking away a little of the focus on our running backs in the run game.
  • Even if he doesn't win the job, it gives us a dual-threat option as a changeup. He and Devito complement each other well, as Devito is a better pure passer and he can obviously do things that Tommy can't.
  • This hopefully lets our young QB's develop. Would really like to see Lamson able to play his senior year of HS-He's only played 1 year at QB-He needs the game experience. This should remove any doubt of him trying to come in early.
Now let's pound the portal to shore up our lines and get ready to roll.

Landing Shrader helps us in several ways:
  • It gives us real competition at the QB spot for the first time since Dungey was here.
  • He is not only a fantastic athlete-We're getting a guy who already has 4 starts under his belt against SEC competition. Coming here in the Spring gives him a chance to be off and running on day 1 and he already has film to see what he needs to work on.
  • His ability to run can help mitigate our biggest weakness-Our OL.
  • Even if he doesn't win the starting job, the staff can have Tommy run more aggressively because we have a ready-to-go QB behind him. Devito has decent speed-I believe we have rarely utilized it for QB draws for fear of injury w/ our backup situation. The QB draws put more pressure on the D, possibly cutting down some of the blitzing and putting the option back in the run-pass option, taking away a little of the focus on our running backs in the run game.
  • Even if he doesn't win the job, it gives us a dual-threat option as a changeup. He and Devito complement each other well, as Devito is a better pure passer and he can obviously do things that Tommy can't.
  • This hopefully lets our young QB's develop. Would really like to see Lamson able to play his senior year of HS-He's only played 1 year at QB-He needs the game experience. This should remove any doubt of him trying to come in early.
Now let's pound the portal to shore up our lines and get ready to roll.
All of this ^^^^ well said. Competition is a good thing no matter what. Add Shraders WR teammate, get a center. a NT and DB and call it done.

Last edited:
Many here are saying there will be serious competition with Tommy. I really do not see it that way. I expect Garrett to be our starter for several reasons:

1. We badly need a dual threat QB relative to the status of our overall roster. We simply do not have good enough line play or good enough receivers for a straight drop back guy. Gotta add that other dimension to keep D's honest.
2 Tommy has had his chances. He simply does not elevate the team or make game changing plays. I have only seen that from him in the FSU game his freshmen season when the D's weren't ready for him. Dino will need to play whoever gives us the best chance for W's, Tommy has already flunked that test for this team and this roster.
3. Garrett has three years left, he may as well thoroughly learn the system in his first season and position him to star his final two years even if all else is equal.
4. I gotta believe that he did not come here to play second fiddle, and that he has already been told he will be the favorite to start.

Many here are saying there will be serious competition with Tommy. I really do not see it that way. I expect Garrett to be our starter for several reasons:

1. We badly need a dual threat QB relative to the status of our overall roster. We simply do not have good enough line play or good enough receivers for a straight drop back guy. Gotta add that other dimension to keep D's honest.
2 Tommy has had his chances. He simply does not elevate the team or make game changing plays. I have only seen that from him in the FSU game his freshmen season when the D's weren't ready for him. Dino will need to play whoever gives us the best chance for W's, Tommy has already flunked that test for this team and this roster.
3. Garrett has three years left, he may as well thoroughly learn the system in his first season and position him to star his final two years even if all else is equal.
4. I gotta believe that he did not come here to play second fiddle, and that he has already been told he will be the favorite to start.
You forgot the biggest reason. You haven't see Garrett play. We can give the new guy who we haven't seen any value we want. He has yet to disappoint us. Happens in every sport. The new guy always solves all of our problems, until he doesn't. #4 There is no way he was told he was the favorite. I'm sure he was told that he could compete for the job. He didn't even play QB this year and we are going to tell him that he is our favorite to start at QB when we have a two year starter coming back? I don't believe that for a second. On the other hand, we might be the best situation he could find himself at after his lack of success at MSU. I doubt there was another P-5 school that would tell him that he has as good a shot as he has at Syracuse.

You forgot the biggest reason. You haven't see Garrett play. We can give the new guy who we haven't seen any value we want. He has yet to disappoint us. Happens in every sport. The new guy always solves all of our problems, until he doesn't. #4 There is no way he was told he was the favorite. I'm sure he was told that he could compete for the job. He didn't even play QB this year and we are going to tell him that he is our favorite to start at QB when we have a two year starter coming back? I don't believe that for a second. On the other hand, we might be the best situation he could find himself at after his lack of success at MSU. I doubt there was another P-5 school that would tell him that he has as good a shot as he has at Syracuse.
Lots of video on YouTube. Looks a lot like someone we know.

I'm guessing he was told there will be an open competition. He wasn't in the 2-deep last year-Not sure he can command any guarantees. Hopefully, he and TD can make each other better.

Last edited:
His passing stats at MSU in terms of QB rating are comparable to Tommy's career passing stats at SU. Add in his ability as a runner and elusiveness and he should be an upgrade. So, no, we are not talking about a HS kid w no P5 experience.

Also, even though what you say about Garrett is true in terms of us not knowing whether or not he can solve most of our QB problems, the one thing we DO know, is that Tommy is not the answer.

It may seem like I am knocking Tommy, Tommy has some talent, I just think he is a totally wrong fit for our system and with our current roster.

In the end, I just want the Cuse to return to winning ways. i dont care who is the QB who can get that done, I just don not believe that Tommy is that guy. If Tommy can win the starters job and prove me wrong, I would love to publicly admit the error of my ways.

I do think we will have a competent number two but probably not what be think. I fully expect if TD gets beat out he transfers. However with a full spring and summer I could see one of the freshman be a solid number 2.

Yeah great then we’re right back to where we were this season.

ill tell you what I do know. No promises were made to GS other than telling him he can be a quarterback here. This is a long term transfer and not about immediate PT and not just about this fall. We need the depth.

None of the freshman have proven they can be a solid number two and anyone who even wants that is nutz. I’m amazed how everyone has even thrown their chips in on Lamson. Mind boggling. What everyone should hope is that TD and GS are both here and that both contribute and that we win and that we sort of have a normal succession plan in place.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom