Class of 2017 - Quade Green 2.0 | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Quade Green 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy isn’t a SF, and he never will be.
don't get hung up on the terminology. jb has often run a 3 guard lineup with one of them playing on the back line of the zone; e.g., josh pace, paul harris, andy rautins. it is absolutely not out of the question that buddy could find himself minutes there as well

don't get hung up on the terminology. jb has often run a 3 guard lineup with one of them playing on the back line of the zone; e.g., josh pace, paul harris, andy rautins. it is absolutely not out of the question that buddy could find himself minutes there as well
The only times JB has played a smaller guard at the 3 (at least in my memory) were situations where offensively we scored a ton of points and didn't need rebounds to survive (Pace), or where he had no other choice (Harris). During the last few years (since Jeremi Grant left in 2014), we've suffered with negative rebound margins against bigger conference foes (exacerbated by having one-dimensional jump-shooting teams). This past year, even though we still didn't have a lot of interior scoring, was the first year since that we've been on the plus side. It's no accident that we had MD and OB (6'9, 6'8) bracketing a 7'2 center. I'm not saying we NEVER play a guard at SF, but it's the exception not the rule if JB has a choice.

Last edited:
The only times JB has played a smaller guard at the 3 (at least in my memory) were situations where offensively we scored a ton of points and didn't need rebounds to survive (Pace), or where he had no other choice (Harris). During the last few years (since Jeremi Grant left in 2014), we've suffered with negative rebound margins against bigger conference foes (exacerbated by having one-dimensional jump-shooting teams). This past year, even though we still didn't have a lot of interior scoring, was the first year since then that we've been on the plus side. It's no accident that we had MD and OB (6'9, 6'8) bracketing a 7'2 center. I'm not saying we NEVER play a guard at SF, but it's the exception not the rule if JB has a choice.

Right, and those guys like Pace and Harris were more forwards (even more of a PF type in Harris) trapped in guards bodies. Not really the modern way it is done like with Villanova how they are throwing a bunch of guards at you all with handles/speed/shooting/passing.

I was just reading on the Kentucky message board that despite Hagan's comittment, he may not reclassify until June or July? So I'm curious if that will impact Quade's decision to stay or transfer. Would Syracuse want to wait that long to find out? Hmmmm...

The only times JB has played a smaller guard at the 3 (at least in my memory) were situations where offensively we scored a ton of points and didn't need rebounds to survive (Pace), or where he had no other choice (Harris). During the last few years (since Jeremi Grant left in 2014), we've suffered with negative rebound margins against bigger conference foes (exacerbated by having one-dimensional jump-shooting teams). This past year, even though we still didn't have a lot of interior scoring, was the first year since then that we've been on the plus side. It's no accident that we had MD and OB (6'9, 6'8) bracketing a 7'2 center. I'm not saying we NEVER play a guard at SF, but it's the exception not the rule if JB has a choice.
Think you forgot about Malachi and that Final Four run.

I was just reading on the Kentucky message board that despite Hagan's comittment, he may not reclassify until June or July? So I'm curious if that will impact Quade's decision to stay or transfer. Would Syracuse want to wait that long to find out? Hmmmm...
He's probably already decided but wants to play summer ball.

He's probably already decided but wants to play summer ball.
I agree... I'm just wondering if his delay would impact Quade's decision to transfer or not.

I agree... I'm just wondering if his delay would impact Quade's decision to transfer or not.
I think there's 2 ways to look at it -

- If Quade was willing to transfer, that means he was willing to sit out a year, which means he's come to the fact that he won't be in the NBA after next year, at least not at UK
- Or, If Hagans doesn't reclassify, Quade thinks he can make a big enough impression that he'll be able to declare for the NBA after next year; knowing that if he plays good enough, he'll leave for the NBA, but if he only plays decent, he'll most likely lose his spot to Hagans anyway; meaning he'll be a junior relegated to 6th man duty, at best.

The transfer rumors (if true) speaks to the fact that Quade is OK with sitting out a year. If he stays at UK, that means he's all in on trying to make an impression next year knowing that either he'll play good enough to declare, or he'll risk being on the bench as a junior.

You don't see many 5'11 combo guards with average athleticism declare early for the draft. Assuming Quade is up to par academically, by sitting out and playing through his junior year at Syracuse, he'll get the chance to get big time minutes and get a degree in 3 years. Thinking about all the scenarios, I see a less than 5% chance that Quade Green suits up at UK as a Junior; if he goes back to UK for his sophomore year chances are he'll declare after that year and try to play professionally somewhere. Of course, if Hagans ends up reclassifying to 2018, Quade might as well sit out a year now for the ability to play 30+mpg as a RS sophomore at Syracuse - because his role this year at UK would not change a whole lot from his role last year at UK if he stayed, I'm not sure I see the upside in that for him.

Hagans committed to Kentucky
blog-oshae-quade2jpg-be1b9c02a83bd8e0.jpg

Right, and those guys like Pace and Harris were more forwards (even more of a PF type in Harris) trapped in guards bodies. Not really the modern way it is done like with Villanova how they are throwing a bunch of guards at you all with handles/speed/shooting/passing.

Don’t disagree b/c he couldn’t shoot by pace would be a nightmare to defend on these nova teams.

Don’t disagree b/c he couldn’t shoot by pace would be a nightmare to defend on these nova teams.

For sure. He had the junkyard dog/jack of all trades qualities.

Think you forgot about Malachi and that Final Four run.
First of all I didn't say we "never" do that, only that we do if we have no other options. Second, in 2015-16 we had Coleman, Lydon (a forward) and Obobko rotating at center and Robie playing PF. MR played some SF (opposite Robie) but a lot of SG. He and MG both averaged a little over 4 rpg - exactly what I'm pointing out. You put Lydon or OB opposite Robie (instead of MR) and the position rebounds double. We just didn't have that option. In fact, that year we had a negative rebounding margin in both conference and non-conference games -- although we put together a great tourney run. Most of the tournament success was due to guard play -- MG and MR up top or on the wing driving or hitting shots. That doesn't mean JB likes to have shooting guards playing on the front line when he has bigger options.

Last edited:
For sure. He had the junkyard dog/jack of all trades qualities.
Pace is one of the most underrated players we have ever had, imo. Also possibly the strangest. 6'5" guard, who shot 20 career threes and shot 50% from the line. Senior year averaged 10/5/3.8 with 1.5 steals. Would imagine not many players since him have put up similar numbers. Ironically, Paul Harris is one of them his soph year.

The more I think about these stats, the weirder and weirder his game becomes. That little lefty floater in the lane was a true trademark shot. One of my favorite players.

Who had a better season Frank or Quade? Frank and not even close. A year ago nobody would have thought that. Quade was going to be the great savior with the keys to the Ferrari. He dumped us for the hot chick who winked at him who then turned on him and tossed him aside. He can go to the G league with Basley for all I care. Loyalty still counts, at least to some people.

You can't compare a player who's been with a program for 3 years vs someone who's been with a program for 1.

The right question to ask is who had a better season as a FRESHMAN? Frank or Quade? Your answer isn't going to be the same.

Pace is one of the most underrated players we have ever had, imo. Also possibly the strangest. 6'5" guard, who shot 20 career threes and shot 50% from the line. Senior year averaged 10/5/3.8 with 1.5 steals. Would imagine not many players since him have put up similar numbers. Ironically, Paul Harris is one of them his soph year.

The more I think about these stats, the weirder and weirder his game becomes. That little lefty floater in the lane was a true trademark shot. One of my favorite players.

For sure. Really unique/strange game and also one of my favorites. He fit in perfectly on that 2003 team. He’s have to find the perfect role on the right team to be effective these days IMO as it is all trending towards spreading you out, more shooters/ballhandlers, etc.

Player A (per 100 possessions):
7.6 FGM 16.9 FGA .451 FG% 2.73 3P 7.2 3PA .376 3P% .808 FT% 4.0 TRB 6.0 A 3.6 TOs 3.6 PF 20.8 PTs
Player B (per 100 possessions):
8.2 FGM 21.7 FGA .376 FG% 2.9 3p 9.0 3PA .325 3P% .719 FT% 5.6 TRB 7.7 A 5.5 TOs 4.2PF 23.3 PTs

ETA: Tempo and minutes played matters when comparing numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors