Quadir Copeland in the portal | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Quadir Copeland in the portal

Fresh poster here, 21' grad. I've been lurking on the board for a little and have enjoyed reading most of the takes here that I've seen. They are a lot better than the reactionary, attention-seeking posts you see on twitter, or whatever social media site.

Anyways, wanted to say that I wish Q the best in his next endeavor. Like JT, he thinks he can get more playing time elsewhere without having to put in the work here and earning it. Q had his moments throughout the season for sure. He showed good potential. However, he was very inconsistent and sometimes had some comedic errors that killed momentum. While it is disappointing we can't continue to develop him, this is a good opportunity for Red to continue a rebuild and find guys for the system he wants to run. I think Red had an adequate first year, but now we all should have higher expectations. He needs to make the dance next year.
Solid 1st post, great handle. Welcome.

I believe the biggest mistake Coach Red made all year was starting Taylor over Copeland all year. Copeland comes in and he brings energy to the entire team, plays hard, always has a smile on his face, and is fun to watch. The game winner against Miami was amazing. I will miss him.

I believe the biggest mistake Coach Red made all year was starting Taylor over Copeland all year. Copeland comes in and he brings energy to the entire team, plays hard, always has a smile on his face, and is fun to watch. The game winner against Miami was amazing. I will miss him.
There was a reason he wasn’t starting. Actually multiple. I’ll leave it at that. Did he bring the juice, for sure. But doesn’t mean he deserved to start…

Hunch but thinking Q could hit Maryland or Gtown
Idk if the account is related to Providence but someone posted a highlight video talking about him hitting the portal and of the 30ish replies, 29 of them were saying Providence.

I really enjoyed watching Copeland play. For most of the year he was my favorite player on the team.

However, something about his demeanor definitely changed over the course of the season. He could be a bit much at times by season’s end, which I assume was an off court thing too.

He clearly didn’t want to be here anymore given that he portaled the minute he could.

He got starters minutes for most of the year, but if being a starter is that important to him then go and do that, I guess.

So, whatevs.

Hunch but thinking Q could hit Maryland or Gtown

It will be interesting to see how it works out. Is being a starter enough or does it have to be a starting point guard? If he insists on the latter, he won’t have as many options. I still think he’s going to get a ton of interest.

I loved watching him play. I thought he ran the pick and roll with Maliq real well. He was an entertainer and I think his shot will improve a ton.
I understand that the people with the scoop said he had character issues and wanted to start, ect. but I still have a hard time seeing Q play somwhere else.

He'd be a great addition at Villanova.

When these guys jump ship do the coaches talk? Is Red being honest about why a kid didn’t work out at SU and, vice versa, are we getting the full scoop?
There’s 3 sides to every story. I hope we get two of them and then decipher the third.

Aren’t we playing Georgetown at home next season in a series of OOC games?

He’s going to get some big time looks..I think Calipari will inquire..I think ultimately he ends up at Seton Hall
We lose another fan favorite PG to Seton Hall…lol, that’s frustrating but I understand the reasons. And I’m gonna have faith that Red pulls in another great PG from the portal.

Last edited:
He scored more per 40 minutes than Starling of course he'll get some looks. If reputable insiders hadn't leaked the offcourt stuff and if he hadn't had his worst game of the year against NC State people would be losing their minds over him leaving.

Still has a lot to work on but he can get to the hoop at will and find guys even when the D is in position. I'm sure he will use Red pushing him out as motivation to get better as well.

There is no upside to this Starling doesn't play D and Copeland can play the same position Taylor, Judah, and Benny play. Its 4 guys who have to be replaced and internally you have Westry who hasn't played in years and two complete defensive liabilities in Starling/Bell. Is the goal now to try and win games 100-90?

Portalling a center better than McLeod isn't a certainty. I'm sure we will try and it might work out but realistically a pre injury Hima might be all we can get. Brown playing 30 per night at the 5 the next 2 seasons may end up happening. 2 nice freshmen but our class isn't ranked top 25 anywhere. I actually think the freshmen might be who would have benefitted the most from playing with Copeland.

For a portal center, we have to stop looking at bench players on Top 40 squads.
There are tons of guys playing a level or two down who are good enough to be the center we need.
Get me a guy who is 6-8 / 6-9 and goes about 240 and can step outside and hit a 3.

That kid Southerland for LeMoyne is almost what we should be looking for, except he's about 20 pounds light. The Canisius kid would be a good candidate as a pure center, but I don't think he shoots the 3.

Here's a list of the kind of player I would be looking for as our Portal Center:

DaRon Holmes, Dayton, 6-10, 235 junior, 20 pts, 8 rebounds, 38% from three (!)
Rokas Jocius, LaSalle, 6-10, 260 soph, 8 pts, 5 reb, 38% from three
Rasheer Fleming, St. Joe's, 6-9, 230 soph, 11 pts, 7 reb, 33% from three
Javan Simmons, Toledo, 6-7, 235, 12 pts, 5 reb, 32.7% from 3 as a freshman.
Owen Lobsinger, Western Michigan, 6-9, 225 junior, 9 pts, 6 reb, 37% from three.

When these guys jump ship do the coaches talk? Is Red being honest about why a kid didn’t work out at SU and, vice versa, are we getting the full scoop?
There’s 3 sides to every story. I hope we get two of them and then decipher the third.
Nope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom