Quincy Guerrier transferring to Oregon | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier transferring to Oregon

I will add I think that if QG had chosen Illinois for the role he wanted it would have suited him better. The Big is full of more traditional centers so he would have had ample opportunities as a ballhandler having a slower big switched onto him of screens. Oregon and the Pac-12 looks stacked with athletes and similar types of which QG struggled against while on the ball but did very well in the post. Naturally he could shine like he did for us playing that undersized bully ball 4.

I think it was a miss. He went with his second choice from recruiting but not the best choice to have a real shot to successfully feature the elements of his game that are a work in progress.

I will add I think that if QG had chosen Illinois for the role he wanted it would have suited him better. The Big is full of more traditional centers so he would have had ample opportunities as a ballhandler having a slower big switched onto him of screens. Oregon and the Pac-12 looks stacked with athletes and similar types of which QG struggled against while on the ball but did very well in the post. Naturally he could shine like he did for us playing that undersized bully ball 4.

I think it was a miss. He went with his second choice from recruiting but not the best choice to have a real shot to successfully feature the elements of his game that are a work in progress.

Good observation.

No, but showed glimpses.

Now ask yourself why our hall of fame coach didn’t get the same production out of OB

Did you not watch OB’s Frosh season?

He was arguably the 3rd best Frosh forward season in JB’s tenure, behind Melo and Billy O.

It’s taken O’shae several years of hard, consistent, dedicated work to become the player he is now.

What JB needs these guys to do so we win games NOW, and what they need to do so they are attractive to the NBA, are often not the same things.

He was arguably the 3rd best Frosh forward season in JB’s tenure, behind Melo and Billy O.

It’s taken O’shae several years of hard, consistent, dedicated work to become the player he is now.

What JB needs these guys to do so we win games NOW, and what they need to do so they are attractive to the NBA, are often not the same things.
I concur with most of that, but JB also tends to restrict players to his system, or so it feels to me. If there was more flexibility, then we might see some of these kids decide to put in the work at SU instead of the G league, or at some other school. In my opinion.

I concur with most of that, but JB also tends to restrict players to his system, or so it feels to me. If there was more flexibility, then we might see some of these kids decide to put in the work at SU instead of the G league, or at some other school. In my opinion.
I think most great coaches do this. Coach K, Roy Williams etc all require kids to play within their system. It’s why they are hugely successful. I think it’s called coaching.

Yes, and then he regressed about 25% in effectiveness his second year because he was told he needed to show that he had a 3 point shot to get a look from the NBA.

Oshae is a wayyy better athlete than Quincy is and also had a way better handle.

His handle wasn't nearly as good when he was here. That was one of the things that held him back.
We've had many Forwards who were better with the ball in their hands, starting with Eli.

Exactly my point. Quincy wants to be where Benny already is. Which is why we’ll probably, fingers crossed, get the better part of this swap. That’s also why QG decided to move on.

we haven’t seen Benny play one game vs D1 talent.

i hope you are right, but we’ve seen this song before with hyping up freshman like this.

i hope you are right, but we’ve seen this song before with hyping up freshman like this.
You are correct that we tend to overrate incoming players, but the opposite happens regularly also. Like Kadary, Elijah etc. People weren’t expecting much and the exceeded expectations. It’s a crapshoot.

you said it, a lot of posters anoint these freshmen before they play 1 minute. They all think they'll be one and done lottery picks. I remember some posters expected Jalen Carey to be one and done. LOL.

you said it, a lot of posters anoint these freshmen before they play 1 minute. They all think they'll be one and done lottery picks. I remember some posters expected Jalen Carey to be one and done. LOL.

im not even saying he can’t or that we can’t suggest it after a couple games.

saying “Quincy wants to be where Benny already is.” right now? I just don’t agree with that thought process until we see them play against the same level of talent

im not even saying he can’t or that we can’t suggest it after a couple games.

saying “Quincy wants to be where Benny already is.” right now? I just don’t agree with that thought process until we see them play against the same level of talent
“Fingers crossed”…. We’ll all know for sure by November.

Good point - but Oregon is going to be a massive player in NIL, way more so than Illinois. I wonder if that was a big reason for his choice as well

Good point - but Oregon is going to be a massive player in NIL, way more so than Illinois. I wonder if that was a big reason for his choice as well

No doubt. We have what looks like a real nice start to things for the NIL too though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom