Red's Postgame Presser | Colgate | Syracusefan.com

Red's Postgame Presser | Colgate

IMG_8900.jpeg

Obviously the team isn’t where anyone hoped it would be at this point but hard not to love Red’s attitude and spirit.

I’m still very excited about watching this team come together this year, lots of growing to do, but the ceiling remains high. Getting this win was a big deal.

Obviously the team isn’t where anyone hoped it would be at this point but hard not to love Red’s attitude and spirit.

I’m still very excited about watching this team come together this year, lots of growing to do, but the ceiling remains high. Getting this win was a big deal.
I’m really really confused… where did people hope this team would be at this point? New coach, new system, a bunch of new players and a bunch of returning players who had one of the worst Syracuse seasons in the last 30 years. Then one of our starters gets suspended and another core piece gets hurt before the real games start.

Perhaps I my expectations were out of line. With Judah coming back JJ coming in and a lot of talent at the forward positions I guess I expected to be able to better handle two very subpar opponents and not be down 24 points to Colgate after 24 mins of play, I expect more from Benny (again perhaps naively), I expected a more consistent effort and better rebounding and defense. I think those are fair expectations for any Syracuse team frankly.

There remains lot to be excited about but if this is what you expected good on you then.

Perhaps I my expectations were out of line. With Judah coming back JJ coming in and a lot of talent at the forward positions I guess I expected to be able to better handle two very subpar opponents and not be down 24 points to Colgate after 24 mins of play, I expect more from Benny (again perhaps naively), I expected a more consistent effort and better rebounding and defense. I think those are fair expectations for any Syracuse team frankly.

There remains lot to be excited about but if this is what you expected good on you then.
I feel people greatly overestimate our talent, especially the forwards.

I feel people greatly overestimate our talent, especially the forwards.
Yep and JJ and Cuffe and McLeod. JJ can’t shoot consistently which is a problem in a half court game. There is a reason McLeod was like our third choice at center. Cuffe is okay but right now can’t really impact a game. We lost 40% of our scoring from last year and the only way we get it back is by changing the system completely on offense and defense.

Moving forward Red needs to figure out his half court D strategy, because the half-a$$$ed m2m the team plays isn’t going to cut it. He needs to decide if he wants his guys to switch on screens or fight through. He also needs to figure out where the help is going to come from… because once a guy gets best the initial D it’s a free pass to the hoop.

On offense, no one outside of Judah, Bell, Taylor should shoot a 3 if there are more than 10 seconds on the shot clock… they shot will always be there. I liked how the team played on O the first 10 minutes but then they panicked when Colgate kept hitting threes and tried to go shot for shot with them.

Beating Colgate is a huge step. Our guy out coached their guy. Our players now know they have a coach who will change, as needed.
The last 2 years, Colgate was the superior team, and was better coached.
I saw the half time score and assumed it was more of the same. The holdovers might have thought the same.
Good job by all.

I’m really really confused… where did people hope this team would be at this point? New coach, new system, a bunch of new players and a bunch of returning players who had one of the worst Syracuse seasons in the last 30 years. Then one of our starters gets suspended and another core piece gets hurt before the real games start.
I thought they’d be beating teams far below syracuses level of competition with ease. This isn’t Syracuse football, this is Syracuse basketball. Red hand picked this team through the portal, got his guys to commit out of highschool last year, and got Judah back. Beyond that, he isn’t installing some hard to learn, out of this world defense (it’s man to man, guys have played this their entire lives) and he didn’t pick up a 2 win team completely devoid of talent. He gets a short leash as an internal hire, let’s hope the team improves or he won’t be head coach long.

He needs to be dishing out lots of tough love. The first 24 minutes last night were embarrassing. That’s on the players. Autry, Gmac and Griff are winners and played with heart. They had to be sick to their stomach at what they were watching. I expect they will get the message across and those who don’t listen will be glued to the bench.

Yet JJ comes down and heaves up a quick 3 as our first shot in the 2nd half. I couldn't believe that. Boeheim would have pulled him. That was EXACTLY what Colgate wanted us to do.
yep.
Which for me made the comeback seem that much more unlikely- we didn't exactly come out of the locker room with a newfound focus in the first few mins of the 2nd, just appeared like a continuation (or even worse) of 1st half

I thought they’d be beating teams far below syracuses level of competition with ease. This isn’t Syracuse football, this is Syracuse basketball. Red hand picked this team through the portal, got his guys to commit out of highschool last year, and got Judah back. Beyond that, he isn’t installing some hard to learn, out of this world defense (it’s man to man, guys have played this their entire lives) and he didn’t pick up a 2 win team completely devoid of talent. He gets a short leash as an internal hire, let’s hope the team improves or he won’t be head coach long.

People need to pay attention. Red's talking xs and os in that presser and being generous with the detail while having coach speak too. There are too many people here who don't grasp the elements of coaching and putting a team and new system together in such a short period of time. Listen to him point out that he's seeing the same things but he has to manage all the elements of the team including player growth and working together.

The second half showed growth for the team and Red. Pay attention to the trend line and the trajectory not the expectations. There are ample professional sports where a talented team of young players takes a while.

We are seeing guys improve and seeing others work through their growth as young players. It's a process and it's a shame people can't understand that.

There are some concerns and they are well discussed on here. The bashing of some players of not being quite as good in game 3 vs game 1 is silly. It's like some have never played the game either. This was a good presser and if you are paying attention you should see how much Red is growing into his role and how well he understands the game. He is just working to get the kids to understand what it takes and how to approach it too.

For those worried a great deal about his coaching watch some of these other new coaches who have struggled over the years at their pressers. You can spot a coach who knows his team and the game vs those that don't.

Beating Colgate is a huge step. Our guy out coached their guy. Our players now know they have a coach who will change, as needed.
The last 2 years, Colgate was the superior team, and was better coached.
I saw the half time score and assumed it was more of the same. The holdovers might have thought the same.
Good job by all.
I wouldn't go as far as saying Red outcoached Langel. From what I witnessed, Cuse's superior athleticism won out once Red convinced them to play hard. So it appears as though he's at least a great motivator.

People need to pay attention. Red's talking xs and os in that presser and being generous with the detail while having coach speak too. There are too many people here who don't grasp the elements of coaching and putting a team and new system together in such a short period of time. Listen to him point out that he's seeing the same things but he has to manage all the elements of the team including player growth and working together.

The second half showed growth for the team and Red. Pay attention to the trend line and the trajectory not the expectations. There are ample professional sports where a talented team of young players takes a while.

We are seeing guys improve and seeing others work through their growth as young players. It's a process and it's a shame people can't understand that.

There are some concerns and they are well discussed on here. The bashing of some players of not being quite as good in game 3 vs game 1 is silly. It's like some have never played the game either. This was a good presser and if you are paying attention you should see how much Red is growing into his role and how well he understands the game. He is just working to get the kids to understand what it takes and how to approach it too.

For those worried a great deal about his coaching watch some of these other new coaches who have struggled over the years at their pressers. You can spot a coach who knows his team and the game vs those that don't.
Well said and spot on. It’s a totally different system and while he got some talent from the portal, we also whiffed on keeping a key piece that would have changed this team in Jesse. It is what is and he’s getting them to buy in.

Even the half court man D was way better in second half yesterday. A lot of it is effort and the guys needing to buy in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom