Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 118 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll bite. 83% of the three's made last year were made by 3 guys---G, Cooney, Malachi. All three now obviously gone. That is a helluva lot of perimeter shooting to replace (and although Lydon is a real good shooter, he only made 49 all season). So now you have a guy that averaged nearly 17 ppg in the Big Ten, who thought about going pro before pulling his name out, that shoots an insane 41% from three (which is even higher than Lydon's great team-leading percentage last year). On what planet doesn't he start on this year's shooting deprived team? (Gillon shot a very mediocre 33% last year--that's even lower than Cooney and Mali).

Defense is the key. Scoring is cool, but Boeheim doesn't care if you are capable of dropping 25 ppg if you can't play some defense. That's the biggest question mark with White from what I've heard.

I don't see Lydon and Roberson not starting, and Lydon can play SF. I think that only possibly leaves SG open for White, in terms of a starting role, which would mean Battle would have to start at PG. Battle can play PG, and was promised some time there, but starting him there might not be ideal with two more pure PG's on the roster. And many have voiced concerns with White playing at the top of the zone. I think White getting big minutes off the bench at mostly SF is the ideal setup.

Starting Howard, Battle, Lydon, Roberson, and Coleman is what I'd do, and then I'd switch the lineup to Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon, Chukwu with the first round of subs.

Maybe in 8 man rotation world. But in a 10 man rotation world I think he will max out at 25. It's tough getting all the PT in with 10 guys.
Y'all have lost your minds if you think Syracuse has a true rotation of more than 8 guys as long as Boeheim is coaching.
While it's quiet, here's my breakdown:

PG - Gillon (starts), Howard to back up (he's going to play. He played last year, even in conference, albeit limited minutes. But he's improved and we'll need him to spell the PG position -- no more 38.5 mpg crap).

SG - I think Battle starts here. Perfect size/skill set. Excellent D. Three point range a WIP. He and White can both play SG/SF - but for defensive reasons I don't see too many SG minutes for White.

SF - White to start. True, Battle could play here (as MR did last year). But you want a bigger player in this spot for rebounding -- White's perfect. He's a solid rebounder with a strong outside game. Backup will probably be TL, and/or MM. My guess is Moyer averages 5 or fewer minutes in conference.

PF - This is a tough one. Experienced senior - Roberson - to start .. that JB's MO. Unfortunately for Roberson, Tyler Lydon's extremely talented and would be perfect at the 4. He might not be the offensive rebounding machine that TR is, but he's taller, longer, a better shot-blocker and a leader on offense. So I think Lydon will take some PF minutes from TR this year .. no way around it. Lydon can also sub the SF position (game situations) and play 3d option C. TT might get a few minutes here also.

C - DC2 starts each half and plays a total of 12-15 mpg. Chukwu's just too big and too much of a defensive presence in the lane to keep on the bench. I think TT's also talented, and he will play some, but in the end average 5 mpg, since Lydon will probably become the 3rd option in conference (and end-games for foul shooting).

Starters: Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson, DC2.
Major Minutes: Chukwu, Lydon (backup SF, takes minutes at PF, and plays C as third option in conference)
Contributors: Howard, Thompson, Moyer
Conclusion: All 10 play in the fall, but probably 8 (maybe 9) in conference.

Last edited:
I believe the weather has held off rain because it would be a slap in the face and unprofessional to immediately rain on East Lansing. The weather wants to appear to think things over, even though meteorologists in Syracuse show 100% chance of sunshine all over CNY and rain all over East Lansing.
See, I KNEW you could do it. ;)

I'm hearing 11:30 pm Thursday Greenwich Meridian Time.

He was wrong. But, if you say that every day, there will be days when you are correct.
91.jpg

PG - Gillon (starts), Howard to back up (he's going to play. He played last year, even in conference, albeit limited minutes. But he's improved and we'll need him to backup the PG position -- no more 38.5 mpg crap).

SG - I think Battle starts here. He and White can both play SG/SF - but for defensive reasons I don't see too many SG minutes for White.

SF - White to start. True, Battle could play here (as MR did last year). But you want a bigger player in this spot for rebounding -- White's perfect. He has a strong outside game. Backup will probably be TL, and/or MM. My guess is Moyer averages 5 or fewer minutes in conference.

PF - This is a tough one. Experienced senior - Roberson - to start .. that JB's MO. Unfortunately for Roberson, Tyler Lydon's extremely talented and would be perfect at the 4. He might not be the offensive rebounding machine that TR is, but he's taller, longer, a better shot-blocker and a leader on offense. So I think Lydon will take some PF minutes from TR this year .. no way around it. Lydon can also sub the SF position (game situations) and play 3d option C.

C - DC2 starts each half and plays a total of 12-15 mpg. Chukwu's just too big and too much of a defensive presence in the lane to keep on the bench. I think TT's also talented, and he will play some, but probably average 5 mpg, since Lydon will probably become the 3rd option in conference.

Major Minutes: Chukwu, Lydon (backup SF, takes minutes at PF, and plays C as third option in conference)

PG is definitely up in the air, but I think Lydon has to start.

PG - Gillon (starts), Howard to back up (he's going to play. He played last year, even in conference, albeit limited minutes. But he's improved and we'll need him to backup the PG position -- no more 38.5 mpg crap).

SG - I think Battle starts here. He and White can both play SG/SF - but for defensive reasons I don't see too many SG minutes for White.

SF - White to start. True, Battle could play here (as MR did last year). But you want a bigger player in this spot for rebounding -- White's perfect. He has a strong outside game. Backup will probably be TL, and/or MM. My guess is Moyer averages 5 or fewer minutes in conference.

PF - This is a tough one. Experienced senior - Roberson - to start .. that JB's MO. Unfortunately for Roberson, Tyler Lydon's extremely talented and would be perfect at the 4. He might not be the offensive rebounding machine that TR is, but he's taller, longer, a better shot-blocker and a leader on offense. So I think Lydon will take some PF minutes from TR this year .. no way around it. Lydon can also sub the SF position (game situations) and play 3d option C.

C - DC2 starts each half and plays a total of 12-15 mpg. Chukwu's just too big and too much of a defensive presence in the lane to keep on the bench. I think TT's also talented, and he will play some, but probably average 5 mpg, since Lydon will probably become the 3rd option in conference.

So our best player lydon isnt going to start? I guess that happened before with waiters but sounds unlikely to me

I honestly don't know. I never predicted rain yesterday at 3:30. I want to be accurate which means taking myself out of the equation and just reporting exactly what the weather satellites say.

Yeah, that got falsely attributed to you somehow. Thanks for the explanation above.

Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon, Chukwu with the first round of subs.

btw, this would have to be one of, if not, the most lethal offensive lineups Syracuse has ever had. 4 guys on the court who can make 3's and 3 who can drive/score in the paint. And the one guy who isn't an offensive threat is 7'2". I just drooled on myself.

So our best player lydon isnt going to start? I guess that happened before with waiters but sounds unlikely to me
That's my thinking ... mostly b/c Roberson's a senior and he's in Lydon's spot. Same with DC2 starting over Chukwu. These guys have earned it.

That's my thinking ... mostly b/c Roberson's a senior and he's in Lydon's spot. Same with DC2 starting over Chukwu. These guys have earned it.

Has dc2 earned it though? Guy definitely perservered but not sure hes really earned a starting spot.

Lydon can play SF. I'd even argue he's more suited to play SF than PF.

You don't think White being the microwave off the bench is more likely than Lydon?

Lydon can play SF. I'd even argue he's more suited to play SF than PF.

You don't think White being the microwave off the bench is more likely than Lydon?

WHAT?? I don't think that's true at all. He can shoot like a 3. Not sure that other parts of the game are there for him to be a full time 3.

Conversely, he's perfectly suited to play 4.

White really would be crazy to transfer to not start. Youre 23 and not even starting in college. How does that impress nba scouts. Hes prob better staying at nebraska then coming off the bench here.

WHAT?? I don't think that's true at all. He can shoot like a 3. Not sure that other parts of the game are there for him to be a full time 3.

Yea unless his drive game has gotten better out of nowhere, hes way more of a 4.

Haha, you and I couldn't be more at odds over this roster. We seem to argue every time it comes up.

Lydon can do everything with a basketball that Nichols, Joseph, and Fair could do. They all played SF. So why can't Tyler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom