Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 119 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
White really would be crazy to transfer to not start. Youre 23 and not even starting in college. How does that impress nba scouts. Hes prob better staying at nebraska then coming off the bench here.

306c47b69e7f228af62d56f9b68f9e1cc5b3948a16b776d82fae24655e274120.jpg

Haha, you and I couldn't be more at odds over this roster. We seem to argue every time it comes up.

Lydon can do everything with a basketball that Nichols, Joseph, and Fair could do. They all played SF. So why can't Tyler?

Yeah, I don't get the guys who say Lydon can't play the 3. I've given up arguing about it because people aren't going to change their mind. He's a lot longer than a lot of 3's we have had, but he can pass and at the end of last year he really started to go to the basket. If he continues that this year, he can play there no problem. Lydon is a better passer than White, it's not even close.

I don't think "likes" are going to get you raffle tickets or anything. Unless they're doing something different on the pay side.

On the pay side they do not call them "likes". They call them "favors".

Has dc2 earned it though? Guy definitely perservered but not sure hes really earned a starting spot.
He's not a shot-blocker/rim protector on D. But he's a pretty good "space" guy in the lane, who does have an offensive game. It's just that he hasn't had the health to develop it. I thought I saw a spark down the stretch last year .. games were he was REALLY contributing. He's a 5th year grad ... I think he starts.

As far as sacrifice/loyalty, look up the OATS procedure. He's lucky he's playing. DC2's a local kid, played on bad knees for 1-2 years. Had to take a whole year off. Then the NCAA crap hit. Through all that, all he did the was work and support his team. Bleeds Orange.

Haha, you and I couldn't be more at odds over this roster. We seem to argue every time it comes up.

Lydon can do everything with a basketball that Nichols, Joseph, and Fair could do. They all played SF. So why can't Tyler?

Nah, you and I are usually on the same page--we just agree about a couple of things on next year's team [Gillon / White, primarily].

I don't know that I agree with your assessment about those player comparisons. Nichols was a catch and shoot guy, who didn't do much off of the bounce or creating for others. Joseph had a good handle in transition and was a threat to drive. Fair was a jack of all trades type, but who had more versatility than given credit for who could player "bigger" and sub at 4 to help the team. He always drove left, but he was a threat off of the bounce and had a tremendous mid-range game.

Lydon can definitely shoot threes. He has deep range, and looks to be a better three point threat than Fair or Joseph. I expect him to show more diversification this year, but it remains to be seen whether he can do more off of the bounce, or whether he'll be a threat to drive like either Joseph or Fair. He's a 4 who can really, really shoot. Joseph and Fair were 3's who could play up a position at 4 -- and both of these guys had complimentary games with the guys they played alongside, Joseph with Wes, Fair with Southerland. Can Lydon play down a position at 3? Is his game compatible with Roberson at 4? Not sure.

Ultimately, on this team, a lot of how I view the roster / project positions comes down to whether the player is the best fit at positions, given other players. Last year, Mali played three because he was the best option. Or rather, Gbinije would have been the best option, but Gbinije was also the best option at lead guard with Kaleb not having improved, so he shifted there and opened the door for Malichi to play 3.

On this year's team, Lydon isn't the best 3--White is. White isn't the best 2--Battle is. And Battle isn't the best 1--Gillon or arguably Howard are both better alternatives.

It comes down IMO to who starts at 4, and which player is asked to be a reserve. I'd expect that to come down to Lydon / Roberson, with one of these guys coming off the bench. If it's Lydon on the bench, he'll be in FAST, and will be a super scoring sub who will play 35+ minutes every game. If Roberson comes off the bench, not sure what to expect.

DC is capable of being a contributor this year. He can big boy people at the very least. I think he will get more in the 15-25 mpg range, but he'll be out there.

Yeah, I don't get the guys who say Lydon can't play the 3. I've given up arguing about it because people aren't going to change their mind. He's a lot longer than a lot of 3's we have had, but he can pass and at the end of last year he really started to go to the basket. If he continues that this year, he can play there no problem. Lydon is a better passer than White, it's not even close.
But wasn't he going to the basket against the other teams' 4s and 5s? It seems unlikely to me that he'd be able to maneuver against a good 3 defender.

But wasn't he going to the basket against the other teams' 4s and 5s? It seems unlikely to me that he'd be able to maneuver against a good 3 defender.

That's what I recall--centers running out at him since he was such a threat from 3, with Lydon taking a hard dribble to get by the charging defender and then taking it alone into a completely open / undefended lane since the defending center was now out of position.

That doesn't mean that he won't show more capability off of the bounce as his game expands, but I don't think we saw much of it last year--certainly not with him being closely guarded.

Has dc2 earned it though? Guy definitely perservered but not sure hes really earned a starting spot.
DC2 has been a starter since he arrived on campus. He earned it by being a highly-touted recruit.

Roberson, on the other hand, fell into his starting role. We all remember what JB said last season. I still think Roberson starts, but he's the odd man out if promises were made to Battle, Gillon and White.

He also started to post up smaller guys near the end of the year. Lydon's potential is unlimited IMO and for everyone talking about his lack of handle seem to forget that D. Nich and Wes weren't exactly great dribblers either.

I just don't like starting our best player on the bench. I think it's getting too cute with your lineup. We'll see what JB does. Any one of 7 guys has the potential to start. The only guy I think guaranteed a starting spot is DC. Plenty to talk about in the offseason for sure. Don't remember the board being this busy in July ever.

He also started to post up smaller guys near the end of the year. Lydon's potential is unlimited IMO and for everyone talking about his lack of handle seem to forget that D. Nich and Wes weren't exactly great dribblers either.

I just don't like starting our best player on the bench. I think it's getting too cute with your lineup. We'll see what JB does. Any one of 7 guys has the potential to start. The only guy I think guaranteed a starting spot is DC. Plenty to talk about in the offseason for sure. Don't remember the board being this busy in July ever.
Lydon isn't going to be on the bench much, if he comes off the bench at all.

Will be really, really interesting to see how things unfold.

I don't disagree about Wes / DNic not having much off the bounce. But those guys were rangy wings defensively, not sure that Lydon has the same kind of lateral mobility that Wes did, for example.

I love Lydon's potential, as well. Kid is a STUD. I just don't know if he can play 3 for lengthy stretches.

Lydon / Roberson is a really difficult decision at the 4. Seems like it should be a no brainer, since Lydon is the far superior scorer. But Roberson is such an exceptional rebounder, an important consideration for a chronically challenged defensive rebounding team.

Tough call.

Lydon can play SF. I'd even argue he's more suited to play SF than PF.

You don't think White being the microwave off the bench is more likely than Lydon?
Lots of opinions on this and an interesting question, B-3. Lydon's oozing talent. And he can play SF -- I like him there against UNC-type team where he would be matched up against a bigger 3 (same at the next level). In college, however, most SF's are 6'6 - 6'7 .. that's a tough matchup for Lydon at almost 6'9.

I think White has to show that he defend SF's his size .. some of whom will be very quick. He's a very heady kid .. mature and savvy. So I think he'll figure out how to function in the zone .. where he'll have to dart back and forth between the base line and the wing -- it's not easy.

Aside from those considerations, I think most people would admit that Lydon's a better 4 (all around) than Roberson, who's somewhat one-dimensional. That dimension's not insignficant -- Roberson's an offensive rebounding machine. But Lydon's no slouch inside either. And he's a better shot-blocker, pretty good defensive rebounder and a MUCH more potent offensive threat.

This is an interesting question, B-3. Lydon's oozing talent. And he can play SF -- I like him there against UNC-type team where he would be matched up against a bigger 3 (same at the next level). In college, however, most SF's are 6'6 - 6'7 .. that's a tough matchup for Lydon at almost 6'9.

I think White has to show that he defend SF's his size .. some of whom will be very quick. He's a very heady kid .. mature and savvy. So I think he'll figure out how to function in the zone .. where he'll have to dart back and forth between the base line and the wing -- it's not easy.

Aside from those considerations, I think most people would admit that Lydon's a better 4 (all around) than Roberson, who's somewhat one-dimensional. That dimension's not insignficant -- Roberson's an offensive rebounding machine. But Lydon's no slouch inside either. And he's a better shot-blocker, pretty good defensive rebounder and a MUCH more potent offensive threat.

...which is why we could see a lot of Lydon in the 5 playing alongside Roberson in the second half of ball games.

In my mind, it will come down to whether what Roberson brings to the table as a 4 is more valuable any given night than what Chukwu / Coleman bring to the table at the 5.

Don't remember the board being this busy in July ever.

It's been terrific! The starting lineup / minutes posts are fascinating. It's a good time to be Orange.

I'm really looking forward to this season. Even if we do not get AW3, I think we have terrific players covering the different positions. AW3 just gets rid of any questions and puts us over the top. I'm still expecting the defense to be pretty ugly until March. And I'm still thinking we will have a mid-January low. But man what a difference between last year this time and this year this time. I was shaking my head all last summer.

...which is why we could see a lot of Lydon in the 5 playing alongside Roberson in the second half of ball games.

In my mind, it will come down to whether what Roberson brings to the table as a 4 is more valuable any given night than what Chukwu / Coleman bring to the table at the 5.

Occasionally you make some really good points.

I think Roberson's playing time will be determined by some of the other players, as opposed to his own ability. There's no reason to play him if Chukwu and Lydon show they can rebound.

I think Roberson's playing time will be determined by some of the other players, as opposed to his own ability. There's no reason to play him if Chukwu and Lydon show they can rebound.

I think Roberson coming off the bench well rested and then going into beast mode is going to be a positive.

Lydon / Roberson is a really difficult decision at the 4. Seems like it should be a no brainer, since Lydon is the far superior scorer. But Roberson is such an exceptional rebounder, an important consideration for a chronically challenged defensive rebounding team.

Tough call.

If Roberson is playing well then maybe we see Lydon at the 5 if White is playing well at the 3. And with Battle at the 2 holy moly that's a good lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom