Slick Rick | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Slick Rick

There is no doubt that Pitino is one of the great coaches in the game and one of the great all time coaches. His team responded to him and his team constantly plays hard. He’s going to be a pain in the portal and on the recruiting trail. I would rather play them annually than Georgetown or play them both

Cuse

That was a very high level game yesterday between UConn & St. John's. St. John's impressed me from what I saw, and UConn, again, has the total package. St. John's looked every bit of a tourney team yesterday, and, based on what I saw, I'd agree with Jimmy Jackson that the Johnnies can certainly make it to the 2nd weekend.

There's no doubt that Pitino, if he hasn't already, will make St. Johns relevant again, and be right up there with the league's top players contending for league championships, etc. Folks around here can carry on/throw all the typical shade, etc. as they do, however, one thing is clear, he consistently wins no matter where he's at...period!

That was a very high level game yesterday between UConn & St. John's. St. John's impressed me from what I saw, and UConn, again, has the total package. St. John's looked every bit of a tourney team yesterday, and, based on what I saw, I'd agree with Jimmy Jackson that the Johnnies can certainly make it to the 2nd weekend.

There's no doubt that Pitino, if he hasn't already, will make St. Johns relevant again, and be right up there with the league's top players contending for league championships, etc. Folks around here can carry on/throw all the typical shade, etc. as they do, however, one thing is clear, he consistently wins no matter where he's at...period!
Don't forget to wipe off your chin.

Pitino has brought three different teams to the final 4 and won 2 championships. He has a proven track record. Also St John’s has been garbage this century. Not exactly apples to apples.
Pitino is not a good person. Glad we never stooped that low.

Glad we never stooped that low.
funny he's the first coach JB approached when he was hired.

Cuse-76-77.jpeg

Pitino is a great coach. LOL at all of the posters that were ragging on some of his early-season results.
The 5th ranked team in the Big East who finished with the same 20 win game total as Syracuse? How impressed are you with Red Autry this season?!

I would argue that Pitino is MAYBE the best coach in my lifetime and perhaps others. This guy has done it at multiple schools and levels. He gets the max from his players and knows how and who to recruit, defends at such a high level hell always have a chance

The 5th ranked team in the Big East who finished with the same 20 win game total as Syracuse? How impressed are you with Red Autry this season?!

Well, several of the so called pundits have St. Johns in the Dance. Meanwhile, SU is nowhere in the stratosphere of even the "next four out." So, perhaps, that may answer your question?

Additionally, the win against D2 school in Chaminade doesn't count, well, at least not in the NET.

Pitino is also in his 70’s. He can be both a great coach but also not a good fit for a lot of schools.

Whenever we compare other 20 win schools I take a look at the resume and injury report. Seeing 7 guys available down the stretch for us and other teams that have 11-13 guys playing meaningful minutes and roles is just so frustrating. Just so many what ifs.

Well, several of the so called pundits have St. Johns in the Dance. Meanwhile, SU is nowhere in the stratosphere of even the "next four out." So, perhaps, that may answer your question?
St John’s underperformed so far. Syracuse overperformed so far. St John’s has guys in graduate school. A lot of Syracuse players haven’t even started taking 300 level classes yet.

Ha, the moral 'holier than thou' folks here's quite comical. Better hope none of you ever get your computers, smart devices, etc. confiscated. ;);)

Some here would cut of their nose to spite their face.
Yeah I guess we all got our mistresses pregnant in a restaurant tryst and then paid her off to have an abortion(this is not a sermon on abortion to be clear, this is an example of how big a scumbag he is). The world isn’t black and white, kind of a big difference between what you use as examples vs Rick. And yes he is a fantastic coach

Additionally, the win against D2 school in Chaminade doesn't count, well, at least not in the NET.
So in your mind, the 20-13 record, finishing 5th in conference, and making the NCAA tournament warrants your glowing remarks on Pitino being one of the best, if not the best coach out there right now? That’s your criteria? Haha awesome.
Uh Huh Sure GIF

The Pitino praise & perceived mystique on this board by a few select posters will always be one of the wildest ideas in this space to me

St John’s underperformed so far. Syracuse overperformed so far. St John’s has guys in graduate school. A lot of Syracuse players haven’t even started taking 300 level classes yet.

Curious what you’re using to conclude St Johns underperformed for the year. They were picked to finish 5th in the Big East, and be a double digit seed in the NCAAs. They finished 5th in the Big East, and are probably going to be a double digit seed in the NCAAs.

Objectively, they did exactly what they were projected to do. I wouldn’t call this a phenomenal coaching job by Pitino like some here are doing - but claiming this was an underperformance is just as ridiculous.

So in your mind, the 20-13 record, finishing 5th in conference, and making the NCAA tournament warrants your glowing remarks on Pitino being one of the best, if not the best coach out there right now? That’s your criteria? Haha awesome.
Uh Huh Sure GIF

The Pitino praise & perceived mystique on this board by a few select posters will always be one of the wildest ideas in this space to me
SU was picked 10th and finished in a three way tie for fifth.

Curious what you’re using to conclude St Johns underperformed for the year. They were picked to finish 5th in the Big East, and be a double digit seed in the NCAAs. They finished 5th in the Big East, and are probably going to be a double digit seed in the NCAAs.

Objectively, they did exactly what they were projected to do. I wouldn’t call this a phenomenal coaching job by Pitino like some here are doing - but claiming this was an underperformance is just as ridiculous.
Emphasizing “so far”. The narrative on St John’s can still change depended on what they do in the tourney. I don’t think many thought they would be a bubble team at this stage in the season.

Uh Huh Sure GIF

So is St John's getting a #5 seed because of the reputation of Slick Rick? Likely will be massively over-seeded.

Emphasizing “so far”. The narrative on St John’s can still change depended on what they do in the tourney. I don’t think many thought they would be a bubble team at this stage in the season.

They were projected to be double digit seed. That is, by definition, a bubble team.

Are you really this committed to proving how utterly wrong you are? Because I’m impressed at your determination to do so…

Uh Huh Sure GIF

Two things can be true, Red had a great year and Rick had a great year.

Personally I think both had incredible but different difficulties. Rick had to start from scratch, Red had to deal with a bunch of rotation regulars not being able to play.

I don’t know why complimenting one person means you’re knocking someone else down.

Yeah I guess we all got our mistresses pregnant in a restaurant tryst and then paid her off to have an abortion(this is not a sermon on abortion to be clear, this is an example of how big a scumbag he is). The world isn’t black and white, kind of a big difference between what you use as examples vs Rick. And yes he is a fantastic coach

We all have the capacity to compartmentalize, etc. Whether one does or not depends on how they choose to roll or see fit. One's morality depends upon one's belief system.

Interestingly, you (we all here) voluntarily choose to root for a school that has one of its all time greats (on the field) in the ring of honor, a statue for, etc., yet had bouts with moral, along with criminal, should we say, shortcomings, along his off the field journeys through life.

slick rick was also hired away from college to coach NBA. JB not so much.
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if JBA had gotten an NBA call, not that he was ever going to leave

not all records are made the same. 20 wins for St. John’s gets them in the tourney meanwhile Syracuse is a unseeded NIT team at best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom