Sorry, but it is time... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, but it is time...

I'm of a slightly different mindset. I don't think that the last few games "masked" anything -- the team played better because they started to get a modicum of supplemental contributions from Marek and Chukwu. Marek in particular suddenly began to chip in as a complimentary scorer / shooter, giving us a fourth option that the team lacked most of the year. And all of the sudden we were just a little bit more formidable offensively, while peaking defensively.

The reason that many were optimistic heading into this season was not because they expected those issues to magically disappear, but rather because they expected those two to maintain that level of consistency, not regress back to where they aren't contributing much again. AND we have improved depth, whereas last year we had virtually none, and literally none in the backcourt.

Team performance has slipped, even from last year's pre-postseason level, IMO.

I mean I didn’t expect regression per se. I also didn’t expect a 4-seed. But, the more I watch them, the more I see a team with a lot of flawed parts, limited upside players, continued bad habits, a style that makes you want to pull your hair out, etc. I’m sure there will be some improvement. How much? We’ll see.

I just gotta know this what is your age roughly? Like who was President when you could vote for the first time?

I could vote for the first time in 2004.
Why is that pertinent to discussing ideas? Younger than Boeheim.

I'm sure someone has made this analogy before, but Syracuse basketball just needs it's version of Dino Babers. Someone with a completely fresh mentality that brings an infusion of new energy.

I just want to speed things up on both sides of the ball and be more aggressive. I'm tired of our boring offense and playing exclusively zone and only recruiting players for the zone and only having assistants who went to SU.

Also, if you're a big man who can't face up to the basket and make a 6-8 foot jumper, I don't want you on our roster. The point of basketball is to put the ball in the basket. I want five guys on the floor who have that capability (I'm weird like that).

I have to admit this does feel like the end of the Pasqualoni Era, when we were sick of seeing the near-side option and the 6-6 seasons, (even 2001 was a 6-6 team that went 10-3 due to Dwight Freeney and +15 turnover differential), and we wondered what a fresh approach would do for the program. Unfortunately the "fresh approach" proved to be G-Rob. But what if it had been Babers?

I felt during those years that a change in the AD would produce a change in the head coach, too. New bosses like to have people around them of their own choice and Gross wasn't going to fire Boeheim so Pasqualoni had to go. (I don't know that he wanted to make that decision after a bowl game, however.) Wildhack inherited both Babers and Boeheim. He's unlikely to fire either but I'll bet he's looking forward to the time he gets to make the choice for the next coach.

I have to admit this does feel like the end of the Pasqualoni Era, when we were sick of seeing the near-side option and the 6-6 seasons, (even 2001 was a 6-6 team that went 10-3 due to Dwight Freeney and +15 turnover differential), and we wondered what a fresh approach would do for the program. Unfortunately the "fresh approach" proved to be G-Rob. But what if it had been Babers?

I felt during those years that a change in the AD would produce a change in the head coach, too. New bosses like to have people around them of their own choice and Gross wasn't going to fire Boeheim so Pasqualoni had to go. (I don't know that he wanted to make that decision after a bowl game, however.) Wildhack inherited both Babers and Boeheim. He's unlikely to fire either but I'll bet he's looking forward to the time he gets to make the choice for the next coach.
If PP got the chance land Ray Rice here he might still be coaching.

Why is that pertinent to discussing ideas? Younger than Boeheim.
Just wondering as if you are older I would believe you mean what you post but if you are younger I am less inclined to believe it.
Not asking for an exact age just a range.

Just wondering as if you are older I would believe you mean what you post but if you are younger I am less inclined to believe it.
Not asking for an exact age just a range.
Your first statement is more correct. This team does have a lot of talent, how they fit together is still being analyzed and with the senior point guard out, the process has not been smooth. By Notre Dame I fully expect a new start.

I admit I am in the boat that wants him to retire, life gets us all, the players need to step up there play too! This is Syracuse not pickup basketball, play with some pride, leave it all out the court. This isn't all on JB these players aren't exactly scrubs he is running out there and he didn't forget how to coach either! So even though I don't like him throwing them under the bus it's time they stood up!

Yes, our point guard captain has been out or playing hurt. People need to stop conflating the last several years problems, which were do to sanctions, with this year, which is do to the guy who runs the offense being injured.
Frank is a major part of why our offense has been so dreadful in recent years. His inability to push the ball, run a fast break or get good shots for teammates in the half court is a big part of why our O stinks and has stunk for some time. He’s not going to hurt us, but I fail to see how he’s going to be some magic elixir.

The last few miracle runs to the Final Four and Sweet 16 have masked a terrible trend of Syracuse basketball. There have been many signs of decline -- many thought sanctions were a big part of it.

But this has been, by far, the most disappointing team I have seen since becoming a fan in 1994.

In my humble opinion, it is time for our coaching legend to either make drastic changes on his staff or to move into the retirement phase of his career.

We may make a run in the ACC for awhile, may win a game or two and still might make the tournament as a 12 seed. But this team is not playing to its potential and it is largely at the hands of the head coach and coaching staff.

Last March, according to you, JB was a great coach.

Now, in the space of 12 games, he has gone from great to over the hill.

Please explain to me how that happens so quickly.

McNeil was great, Edelin had 20 points off the bench, and Pace was good too. We don’t win that one without a great performance from those 3 on our bench.

Forth and Duany barely played that game.

McNamara hit some big shots in that comeback. That was melo’s worst game of the tournament.

Am I remembering right that GMac got a cut above his eye or something that game? I remember him hitting a big 3 from the corner in front of the bench?

Yes. He got a cut and with blood running down his face hit a 3 pointer. He went to the lockeroom then came back out with a bandage on his head finishing the game and playing well.

A0EC6620-E501-4A63-B6E5-C27D89CEE752.jpeg

Ever hear a guy named Tyler Roberson?
I think wth Roberson, Jim pulled every coaching thing he could try to get some consistency. I wasn't often happy about the coach speak. Also wasn't happy about Robey's effort some games.

Kip Wellman

GMac

I just cringe when I look at our bencg
What the hell does this mean? Can the poster or someone explain? Why do you cringe at Kip Wellman or even Gmac? What’s your issue with them?

I just gotta know this what is your age roughly? Like who was President when you could vote for the first time?

I could vote for the first time in 2004.
That explains a lot about your posts. You are pretty young, which means you lack perspective. When did you first become a Cuse fan?

I heave read the narrative, I don't agree with the findings.
Aren’t you the guy who wants Mackey to be the next HC? That would make the GMAC hire look brilliant in comparison... as in “hey at least we didn’t hire the former head coach’s grandson.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom