Southerland out | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland out

The way his shot looked during the Providence game it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that he had a lot on his mind that didn't come under the heading of basketball. For someone who is supposedly a great shooter his shots had zero chance of finding their way through the hoop. This type of yearly disappointment is really deflating when you place most all of your fandom resources around the Syracuse basketball program. It's hard enough to be successful but then this type of nonsense is just... sigh****

I become numb to this cr@p. Brightside for me. I picked them to go 22-9 this year. Maybe they will start losing and my pick will win?! Hey if the players can be selfish then why can't I? ;) j/k LGO!!!

Coach Boeheim was asked if there was any way he could have prevented Southerland from becoming ineligible. Boeheim replied that whenever he discussed academics with Southerland, James told him everything was fine.

Boeheim concluded, "Unless professors come to me, my hands are tied."

Not only a senior, but a 5th year senior!

My thought is that indefinite is better than out for the season. But it's also possible we're just so early in the process that no one really knows much
I reckon that means he failed to turn in a term paper or something . . . probably got an incomplete and needs to finish the work & wait for the grade to post. it happens every semester to non-athletes, too, but we don't hear about it. I, for one, took probably half a dozen incompletes in my time.

it does mean he will garner a boatload of 9th place votes in this week's player rankings.

I respectfully disagree. No matter what the numbers, we just lost our best outside shooter. He could be considered our spark, just like Dion, won games for us when we needed offense.
I'm not saying we miss the tourney, but there was something shaky about this team to begin with. We need him, and if this for the rest of the season (anyone know) we have a minimal chance of going to the final four.

Only way around this is if Dajuan contributes more productive minutes and that Jerami steps up huge.

Let's see how things go before we all commit suicide! Listen, JS needs to take responsibility for this mess. This is a school first and if he doesn't want to be in school then he should just stop going now. I'd rather lose him forever starting today then one week before the BE Tourney...

Coach Boeheim was asked if there was any way he could have prevented Southerland from becoming ineligible. Boeheim replied that whenever he discussed academics with Southerland, James told him everything was fine.

Boeheim concluded, "Unless professors come to me, my hands are tied."

After what happened last year he shouldnt have to babysit these kids. 5th year seniors should NEVER be academically ineligible.

I respectfully disagree. No matter what the numbers, we just lost our best outside shooter. He could be considered our spark, just like Dion, won games for us when we needed offense.
I'm not saying we miss the tourney, but there was something shaky about this team to begin with. We need him, and if this for the rest of the season (anyone know) we have a minimal chance of going to the final four.

Only way around this is if Dajuan contributes more productive minutes and that Jerami steps up huge.

Oh, I don't disagree with you. Just poking fun at those who take personal offense with posters who don't think that the team is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The outside shooting was spotty to begin with, and the inside game is still a work in progress (to put it mildly). I didn't really think that this year's team was anything special - struggling against dregs like USF and PC, and nearly blowing a huge 2nd half lead against Detroit just reinforced my opinion.

I imagine that JS's eligibility has been in question for weeks - why didn't the freshman get more run in anticipation that they' d be called upon?

The only person to blame is the player, in this case James Southerland. No passing the blame to anyone else. These players just don't get it, and it's alarming and sad. So many of them have dreams of playing in the NBA, they completely ignore what might happen if, usually when, they don't make it.

I agree. Just sad.

Look, we're probably screwed. As a fan, I'm pissed because I want them to win a NC every year. They're still kids. It might have been easy for some of us to skate by, but hey, we weren't Division 1 basketball players! At least I wasn't.

Nevertheless, if you still watch the games, stay positive and hope for either JSouth to come back or Cooney and Grant to step up. I believe Grant stepping up is not as big a stretch as we think, no matter how defeated we all feel right now.

We aren;t "Screwed" as far as winning the title goes. All that matters in March is who's hottest for those 6 games, and if Triche/MCW/Fair/Rak are all playing well, we will be there in the end. Without Fab we had a major hole on defense.

Grant may very well "step up" but he can't shoot. Potentially a good player, but he doesn't replace what we lose in Southerland. We had little outside shooting as it was, now we look like our worst outside shooting team since those post-Melo years when our only threat was GMac.

Cue the people overreacting to him "smiling" on the bench...

Who supervises them?

Well... I posted the he was fab melo'd last week and it was deleted.

My guess is he was actually southerlanded.

Tim welsh now handles that stuff.

Oh, I don't disagree with you. Just poking fun at those who take personal offense with posters who don't think that the team is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The outside shooting was spotty to begin with, and the inside game is still a work in progress (to put it mildly). I didn't really think that this year's team was anything special - struggling against dregs like USF and PC, and nearly blowing a huge 2nd half lead against Detroit just reinforced my opinion.

I imagine that JS's eligibility has been in question for weeks - why didn't the freshman get more run in anticipation that they' d be called upon?
Gotcha. I think this must have come out of nowhere, because you're right, freshmen should have gotten their hands Dirty
(pun intended).

Its sad to care more about syracuse basketball then whats on southerlands resume.
How many past syracuse players professional careers do you follow? Really?

Die hard syracuse basketball fans Care. As one I could tell you about each syracuse team in the last decade but couldn't name what one syracuse basketball player has become after college outside the game of basketball. And I am willing to bet 99% of the board is the same. So thets stop being apologists for things we don't really care about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom