Southerland out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Southerland out

Blessing in disguise? You can pretty much write off the NCAA tourney if he's ineligible long term.

Write off doing well, or write off making it to the NCAA?

HATER!
I respectfully disagree. No matter what the numbers, we just lost our best outside shooter. He could be considered our spark, just like Dion, won games for us when we needed offense.
I'm not saying we miss the tourney, but there was something shaky about this team to begin with. We need him, and if this for the rest of the season (anyone know) we have a minimal chance of going to the final four.

Only way around this is if Dajuan contributes more productive minutes and that Jerami steps up huge.

You can make them go to class and go to study hall but you can't take tests for them. If they go to class and sleep. It's on the players. Only so much coaching staff can do.

Who says you can't take tests for them?

Whats the point of following a team if their is a 50% chance they will be derailed every year because one of the players has academic problems. It sucks big time for the fan. Makes me feel watching the team is all that is important and winning means nothing.

Its as rediculous as the new GPA rules. If the kids don't get a college degree oh well. Screw academics. College basketball is a mentoring program. These kids who play at top colleges are good enough to play pro somewhere and if not good enough to coach a jv, high school college team somewhere. And if not have a hell of a body for physical labor.
In the NBA all you have to do is practice to stay on the team and it has its share of thugs as well.

While I disagree with a lot of your post I do agree that it is tough to cheer for a team that has issues like this so frequently.

MCW says it's a "misunderstandin." I'm going with that until I hear differently. **wishful thinking**
Me too. Especially when Park's initial assessment is "indefinite" and not "done for the entire semester".
It could be as simple as South having an incomplete for failing to turn-in a term paper or some such thing.

Me too. Especially when Park's initial assessment is "indefinite" and not "done for the entire semester".
It could be as simple as South having an incomplete for failing to turn-in a term paper or some such thing.

Seeing it almost happened last year I find that hard to believe.

It's a potential huge blow but not the death knell for this team. It's early in the BE schedule, and there is time to have other players step up. It puts any kind of deep run in the NCAA in doubt...but time will tell. The question is how demoralizing is it for the team as a whole, or worse yet, is it symptomatic of a murkier undercurrent to this team?

Just wow...nothing to say. Something here needs to be fixed. Whoever supervises needs to do better or the student athlete needs to get their together.

Upon momentary reflection... is anyone really surprised? Perhaps the most perplexing thing is the kid is in the final semester of his senior year. My senior year classes were laughable at best and I spent more time with my face over the top of a bong than a textbook. Still managed cum laude... What?

Hes a senior. hoe many classes can he have??? 2? 3?

Not only a senior, but a 5th year senior!

My thought is that indefinite is better than out for the season. But it's also possible we're just so early in the process that no one really knows much

Its fine to feel that way. But this is the third season in four years that got derailed and the one season inbetween was the worst team of the four. And the three years before that 2 of them we spent in the NIT.

:crazy: I don't give a crap about academics for basketball players. If Craig Forth wants to be a Honor roll teacher ok, but we didn't recruit Sotuherland to be one. Fans that care more about basketball then academics are bad fans. I guess I am selfish, James and Fab were selfish good thets punish all three of us and make the team mediocre.

Just wow...nothing to say. Something here needs to be fixed. Whoever supervises needs to do better or the student athlete needs to get their **** together.

The only person to blame is the player, in this case James Southerland. No passing the blame to anyone else. These players just don't get it, and it's alarming and sad. So many of them have dreams of playing in the NBA, they completely ignore what might happen if, usually when, they don't make it.

:crazy: I don't give a crap about academics for basketball players. If Craig Forth wants to be a Honor roll teacher ok, but we didn't recruit Sotuherland to be one. Fans that care more about basketball then academics are bad fans

This makes no sense

Southernland out of the tunnel in street clothes.

Terribles news; especially after last year. Deja Vu, it could be a few games or the whole season but b/c of the university student privacy rules, we won't know.

I know these guys have to go to class and study hall. Managers and graduate assistants check up on them. It's a matter of paying attention and doing the bare minimum equirements.

If I graduated with no problem when 50% of the time in class I was in a hungover haze, why can't these guys.

Not only a senior, but a 5th year senior!

My thought is that indefinite is better than out for the season. But it's also possible we're just so early in the process that no one really knows much

He didn't redshirt

Its fine to feel that way. But this is the third season in four years that got derailed and the one season inbetween was the worst team of the four. And the three years before that 2 of them we spent in the NIT.

:crazy: I don't give a crap about academics for basketball players. If Craig Forth wants to be a Honor roll teacher ok, but we didn't recruit Sotuherland to be one. Fans that care more about basketball then academics are bad fans. I guess I am selfish, James and Fab were selfish good thets punish all three of us and make the team mediocre.

:blah::bang:

This is more than just so you can get the satisfaction of sitting on your couch watching SU win games while you drink beer and yell at your screen. This is more than advancing in the tournament. This is about these kids that don't understand the big picture.

The first and foremost reason for college is an eduation, regardless if you are playing a sport. Playing a sport just happens to be a way to get FULL SCHOLARSHIPS. These kids will leave without the debt that so many students have. Sure, some of them go on to play professionally, but the majority don't, at least nothing guaranteed.

Your post is beyond selfish, and quite frankly, is just plain sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom