The Logical Fallacy Some Fans Have Embraced To Justify Their Criticism Of Boeheim | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

The Logical Fallacy Some Fans Have Embraced To Justify Their Criticism Of Boeheim

Buddy...nope, not even typing any words. This is all I’m thinking of:

Watched the last half hour last night. Still gives me chills.

Haven’t watched in many years. Don’t need to to know exactly what you mean, but need to because it’s been too long.

You are correct. It is impossible to know for certain. But those of us on the other side of this discussion didn't start a thread on this as the OP did. And the OP has basically argued that Jb is incapable of making an error.
So perhaps if I had qualified my spirited defense of JB with an acknowledgement of his fallibility (which I do), it wouldn't have rankled your feathers so much?

For the record, of course Boeheim makes mistakes. He's in a position of having to constantly evaluate his players, reviewing the mistakes they're making, the progress they've shown, in the hope that he can project individual player contributions to the team he's gonna have at the end of the season.

Sometimes those judgments change on a weekly basis. It's inevitable that some judgments made early on will be proven wrong later by future performance.

What I don't get is seizing upon certain of his rotation decisions he's made as "obvious mistakes" that are far from being obvious when you consider--as he does--the need to give his Best Five the PT they need to start winning again after a losing streak.

His strategy is conservative, but it's certainly not "daffy" or blinded by "stubbornness."

Yeah, you know Quincy has kinda gone from star player, to unsung hero. He’s been banged up and has had some subpar games but ultimately he’s still here fighting and making big plays. That three he hit early in the second half made me feel so much better about our chances, and I went absolutely nuts on that late dunk he had. Kid is putting together a heck of a sophomore year and epitomizes what it means to be an ORANGEMAN.

I am taken back. You are far dumber than I thought. never once have I said anything about Boeheim being an idiot coach. Just the opposite. He isn't perfect. I am one of his biggest f ans. I stood up for JB when it was a lot more difficult than it is now. I just don't kneel at his alter, like you do.
Dumber, oh boy......sticks and stones. I’m sure ceerqqq won’t be able to sleep tonight since arrogant, random internet guy started down this path...

Sorry guys. Come Saturday, you and your crazy game thread H0T Takes(of which I clearly never partake) may be out.

Last edited:
Most years? Like that 5 and 5 end to last year? Cripes
This is *exactly* the point. Why take one year when you have 40+ years of data?

He’s been doing this longer than some posters could read but I’m sure he didn’t know what he was doing with a freshman point guard and a big

Everyone was talking them up before the tourney. Most dangerous 14 seed ever, something like that.

Even some odds makers had them in the top 5 likely to win the tourney.

Just because some of you make BS up in your head and actually believe it doesn’t make it even close to truth
7C824219-FD2E-4AB3-8854-FEB1B75C4012.jpeg

We spend more money on the basketball program than all but maybe 5 programs in all of College Basketball
We have tons of local talent in New York but also in surrounding states we can recruit towards
We lead the NCAA in attendance practically ever year
We have great facilities and NBA alumni
We have a HOF head coach

Why can't we do better than finishing on the bubble for 6 straight seasons and hoping we get a good draw to make a run? Is it cause of the sanctions? Those have been gone for multiple years now. Is it too much to ask to be good in both the regular season and the post season?
Winning is hard?

Plus, where did these standards come from? Why is the dome filled up with fans?

JB can be fallible, stubborn, great, and the builder of this program all at once.

This is *exactly* the point. Why take one year when you have 40+ years of data?

He’s been doing this longer than some posters could read but I’m sure he didn’t know what he was doing with a freshman point guard and a big
When you read data for up you usually use the most recent data at a heavier rate.

You know it’s really impossible for fans on the outside to speak on the coaching acumen of assistant coaches, but Autry, GMac, and Griffin were all tough and smart players and amazing competitors. Guys who know the game and who I’d want to go to war with anyday.

You know it’s really impossible for fans on the outside to speak on the coaching acumen of assistant coaches, but Autry, GMac, and Griffin were all tough and smart players and amazing competitors. Guys who know the game and who I’d want to go to war with anyday.
Not a recruiting war.

I couldn’t help myself.

Yeah, you know Quincy has kinda gone from star player, to unsung hero. He’s been banged up and has had some subpar games but ultimately he’s still here fighting and making big plays. That three he hit early in the second half made me feel so much better about our chances, and I went absolutely nuts on that late dunk he had. Kid is putting together a heck of a sophomore year and epitomizes what it means to be an ORANGEMAN.
You’ve already won the thread. No mas, no mas.

I didn't understand your umbrage at first, because I hadn't assumed that you were necessarily one of those who subject Boeheim's coaching decisions to "mocking derision." That's why I said, "For those who..."

But now, given your reaction, should I assume that you did identify with those who aim mocking derision at Boeheim?
Go back and re-read your own post. Or your thread title for that matter.

Your reply to me starts out as derisive and devolves from there into a lecture on the evolution of 21st century recruiting and team composition.

And you’re surprised at my umbrage? Or anyone else’s umbrage, for that matter?

I think you’ve gotten the exact response you wanted.

Here’s some advice. There’s a time and place for every discussion. A referendum and an “I told you so” thread on the head coach in the midst of his 21st run to the Sweet 16 ain’t it.

Rational people can observe the totality of the coaching situation and long term performance and come to different conclusions on what it means for the future. It doesn’t mean either one is wrong.

What is true is that winning keyboard arguments is irrelevant. Your opinion makes no difference. Nor does mine. Or anyone else for that matter. Unless you’re John Wildhack or the chancellor, it’s all just internet bluster.

Some advice to you. Perhaps start with a charitable judgment for those fans who share the same passion for their team as you do. We all come from the same spot. We want Syracuse to win and be successful. Find it in yourself to enjoy this week without having to tear down your fellow fans.

Go back and re-read your own post. Or your thread title for that matter.

Your reply to me starts out as derisive and devolves from there into a lecture on the evolution of 21st century recruiting and team composition.

And you’re surprised at my umbrage? Or anyone else’s umbrage, for that matter?

I think you’ve gotten the exact response you wanted.

Here’s some advice. There’s a time and place for every discussion. A referendum and an “I told you so” thread on the head coach in the midst of his 21st run to the Sweet 16 ain’t it.

Rational people can observe the totality of the coaching situation and long term performance and come to different conclusions on what it means for the future. It doesn’t mean either one is wrong.

What is true is that winning keyboard arguments is irrelevant. Your opinion makes no difference. Nor does mine. Or anyone else for that matter. Unless you’re John Wildhack or the chancellor, it’s all just internet bluster.

Some advice to you. Perhaps start with a charitable judgment for those fans who share the same passion for their team as you do. We all come from the same spot. We want Syracuse to win and be successful. Find it in yourself to enjoy this week without having to tear down your fellow fans.
54VOyHt.gif

Remember the #freejesse that a bunch of our alumni bigs promoted all year? Were they wrong too?

Kadary was a top two G option most of (maybe all of) the year.

Braswell showed what he could do last season. It's wasn't fair to judge him with an inch of leash.

I don't know how the argument can reasonably be made that everyone got their fair share. People ahead of them struggled or were playing out of position to the detriment of the team. Any suggestion that we would have won less had they played more is speculative at best and likely incorrect.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom