The Program is in free fall | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The Program is in free fall

Gbinije is probably the last guy who improved the way SU guys who weren’t quite ready at first, typically always did.
Our player development has been garbage.
It’s been what you come in as a player is what you will leave.

I really don’t know how active JB is coaching the players in practice. We know he teaches the defense but about offense. I didn’t see Battle, Brissett get any better from their freshman years.

I really don’t know how active JB is coaching the players in practice. We know he teaches the defense but about offense. I didn’t see Battle, Brissett get any better from their freshman years.

I think Battle got marginally better. Brissett didn’t.

My memory is those guys weren’t really on campus in the summer either though...so maybe it’s on them and their stupid stepback jumper drills they did with rip off “trainers” all summer moreso than their college coaches. The season is about getting ready for the games, not skill development.

I think Battle got marginally better. Brissett didn’t.

My memory is those guys weren’t really on campus in the summer either though...so maybe it’s on them and their stupid stepback jumper drills they did with rip off “trainers” all summer moreso than their college coaches. The season is about getting ready for the games, not skill development.

They should have gone to whomever Rak went to see!

Brissett was auditioning for a job instead of becoming a better college player.

Gbinije is probably the last guy who improved the way SU guys who weren’t quite ready at first, typically always did.
Agreed. Player development hasn’t been what it needs to be. But Frank improved exponentially from his sophomore to junior years, and would have been even better as a senior if not for the injury that slowed his ability to get into the lane. Frank’s injury also hurt Tyus and Oshae’s development and efficiency improvements as a junior and sophomore, respectively, because they were both asked to do more on offense with Frank battling the injury. I think Gillon got better the one year he was at Cuse, but the stats won’t show it because he was at a mid major the previous season. On the other side of the ledger, I thought Lydon would make a bigger leap from his freshman to sophomore years and Marek’s offensive development has been a big disappointment. He’s shooting it worse than he did as a freshman.

When we started throwing him the ball he became a force.
I guess the all-time winningest coach/hall of famer, Mike Hopkins and the other coaches were too dumb to figure that out. If someone had just dropped them a line and told them that.

Mike Krzyzewski coached Syracuse in 2011-2015?
2nd winningest coach of all time. But he still never knew what the heck he was doing, according to many internet coaches who post here. He would have been the winningest but he wouldn't play ball with the sneaker scam so they made an example of him. Unlike K, who is at the top of the pay to play pyramid.

Last edited:
Marek’s offensive development has been a big disappointment.
Agree.
Marek's great play and hoops savvy as a freshman led me to believe that by junior year he could develop his game and physique to be a top player in the conference -a real handful for SU opponents.
Marek still makes plays, but progress seems lacking -lots untapped potential remains IMHO.
Time playing out of position at the 5 and getting beat up probably hasn't helped.
If the season goes off the rails, may be opportunity for Marek to attack on offense more, not worry about consequences, and prep for a great senior year.

Agree.
Marek's great play and hoops savvy as a freshman led me to believe that by junior year he could develop his game and physique to be a top player in the conference -a real handful for SU opponents.
Marek still makes plays, but progress seems lacking -lots untapped potential remains IMHO.
Time playing out of position at the 5 and getting beat up probably hasn't helped.
If the season goes off the rails, may be opportunity for Marek to attack on offense more, not worry about consequences, and prep for a great senior year.
His dumb mistakes on the defensive side are the ones that bug me. He collapsed on a trap in the corner with Sid the last game. Great instinct, absolutely the right play, but then he let his momentum take him right into the offensive player resulting in an easy foul to call. And he picked up an earlier foul on an offensive board. No need for a foul 94 feet from the basket you are defending.

elijah
I don't see that. I see him being the primary option, but he's been a good shooter in his time here.

Not saying he hasn't improved some, just not where he wasn't ready from the jump.

Maybe according to you, but I saw what I saw. I know others felt the same way. JB doesn't use centers much, even less since Rak left.

not according to me. According to a coach.

“allowed to play”. That’s the revisionist history.

Nobody gave him the ball the first 3 years. Myself and MANY others saw something when he actually did get the ball that warranted him to get it more and when he actually did he had great success.

It doesn't take one summer to go from platooning with a guy with stone hands to an NBA draft pick who carried the team.

Nobody gave him the ball the first 3 years. Myself and MANY others saw something when he actually did get the ball that warranted him to get it more and when he actually did he had great success.

It doesn't take one summer to go from platooning with a guy with stone hands to an NBA draft pick who carried the team.

you don’t know what you don’t know. You are forgiven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom