Things I've heard... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Things I've heard...

Here are some things I've heard from coaches/friends in the know. Don't know if they are true, some I hope are and some I hope aren't.

Regarding Nerlen's, rumor is he was told Fab is leaving by the staff. Also, despite all the UK talk he is still a Cuse lean (here's hoping). One actually said his list is "Cuse, then a few other teams so he can say he has a list"

Dion not really welcome back so declare for the draft. This disappoints me if true because I think Dion needs another year and I think he would tear it up next year.

Brandon's head is all screwed up and he has lost confidence due to JB shuffling the line up around.

DC2 is carrying a 3.5 gpa (of course he may be taking underwater fire prevention, but whatever he is taking he is doing pretty well). I was also told he would be playing major minutes if he was on Cuse right now, he is that good.

Not that this involves Cuse, but Shabazz (if he is even allowed to play) has pretty much eliminated Kentucky from his list. This one shocked me because I've seen him play 4 times this year and Cal was there twice.

Any talk on how Rakeem has handled this year, and what his state of mind is? I really interested in knowing

Don't hold me to this as it is very 3rd/4th/5th-hand kind of info, but what I heard is that Dion is gone almost purely because of academics. He decided on NBA mid season and simply stopped going to class.

Again, unsubstantiated rumor.

This would mean a hit to the APR which is a bigger threat to the program's success than just benching Dion for the rest of this season.

Don't hold me to this as it is very 3rd/4th/5th-hand kind of info, but what I heard is that Dion is gone almost purely because of academics. He decided on NBA mid season and simply stopped going to class.

Ditto.

Here are some things I've heard from coaches/friends in the know. Don't know if they are true, some I hope are and some I hope aren't.

Regarding Nerlen's, rumor is he was told Fab is leaving by the staff. Also, despite all the UK talk he is still a Cuse lean (here's hoping). One actually said his list is "Cuse, then a few other teams so he can say he has a list"

Dion not really welcome back so declare for the draft. This disappoints me if true because I think Dion needs another year and I think he would tear it up next year.

Brandon's head is all screwed up and he has lost confidence due to JB shuffling the line up around.

DC2 is carrying a 3.5 gpa (of course he may be taking underwater fire prevention, but whatever he is taking he is doing pretty well). I was also told he would be playing major minutes if he was on Cuse right now, he is that good.

Not that this involves Cuse, but Shabazz (if he is even allowed to play) has pretty much eliminated Kentucky from his list. This one shocked me because I've seen him play 4 times this year and Cal was there twice.

1. If he comes here, fine. If not, we'll be ok.

2. Very much doubt this. If things are that bad with Dion, we'd somehow see that.

3. Brandon's psychological issues exist mostly on this board. Many here believe they know what he's thinking. (!?)

4. DC2 is playing in high school. Glad he's playing for us next year, but prefer to wait and see about major minutes.

5. N/A

This would mean a hit to the APR which is a bigger threat to the program's success than just benching Dion for the rest of this season.

We could withstand that, but we couldn't withstand that plus Fab doing the same thing plus Mookie never graduating.

Similar to when JB was quoted as telling a recruit "if you mention the NBA one more time, I'm out of here", if all this is true it would explain "not welcomed back" as opposed to "not coming back". Pure speculation, but I'll bet they are tired of nagging and babysitting him on this issue.

We all know how freshmen centers tend to struggle in the zone, let alone high school seniors; and the OP made it seem like he'd step on campus today and play tomorrow. Look at Rak.

Not to mention he's 6'8, when's the last time our C was under 6'10" (I'm legitimately asking, because I can't remember one)
Jackson. AO.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Don't they have tutors and academic advisors who monitor the players class attendance and performance. Shouldn't he be suspended if he stopped going to class- he is a student athlete afterall.

AO, Rick, and McNeil were all under 6'10. DC2 for what it's worth was measured in at 6'9 with shoes on at the LeBron camp last summer. His wingspan was 7'2, which is great length for the zone.

If DC doesnt shed some pounds this offseason hes gonna struggle next yr. Similar to FAB, hes a big kid and hes going to have issues in getting up and down the court next yr.

It is very little surprise about Dion if true. The biggest fault in his game has always been above his shoulders.

Interesting stuff. W/ Scoop gone it may be better for Dion to leave as well if he's that close to out of control at this point. Could also do alot for BT's confidence knowing he won't get pulled for long stretches as part of a 3 man rotation next year.

If - Fab + DC2, & NN is the worst case scenario I'd take that.

As others have stated, I hope our APR doesn't get crushed as a result.

If true, not good, APR-wise

As others have stated, I hope our APR doesn't get crushed as a result.
I have asked this before, but I have not gotten an answer yet

In the past, JB has given the empty scholarship slot to a walk on. We began the year with 12 scholarship players, leaving one open 'ship. Mookie left at the end of the 1st semester, opening up another.

Has JB given these slots to any of the senior walk ons? Resavy was on the All Big East Academic team and Reese has been on the Honor Roll in the past. Give either or both of them a 'ship and it helps the APR, or is that against the rules?

Give either or both of them a 'ship and it helps the APR, or is that against the rules?

That would be one of the most counter-intuitive dick moves ever by the NCAA if that were against the rules. So knowing the NCAA it probably is.

"Sorry kid, you're an absolutely exceptional student, athlete, and teammate ... but because you're a walk-on the NCAA says I can't give you a scholarship towards your eduction. I have to give the scholarship to a player who has no absolutely interest in academics or a degree and will waste every penny of it."

I remember a few years ago when they got dinged on the APR when Flynn, Harris, and Devo all left. He explained how they like to stay below the scholarship limit incase a medical redshirt, or something else comes up. Then, as noted above, give a walkon one if any are left over.

JB went on a rant about how this brilliant APR rule basically took a scholarship away from 2 walkons. That was the net punishment for guys leaving to go pro.

That would be one of the most counter-intuitive dick moves ever by the NCAA if that were against the rules. So knowing the NCAA it probably is.

"Sorry kid, you're an absolutely exceptional student, athlete, and teammate ... but because you're a walk-on the NCAA says I can't give you a scholarship towards your eduction. I have to give the scholarship to a player who has no absolutely interest in academics or a degree and will waste every penny of it."

Wonder if we could give them the vacant scholies even if they didnt help our APR?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom