Things I've heard... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Things I've heard...

Thinking about it I don't think the DC2 getting "major" minutes right now is believable. At most he'd get 15 backing up Fab, and even that is a stretch.
15 minutes isn't major minutes??? You might ask Christmas about that.

DC2 is exactly what this team needs...a low post player that can play his back to the basket. He athletic ability belies his looks. The kid is a beast.

That would be one of the most counter-intuitive dick moves ever by the NCAA if that were against the rules. So knowing the NCAA it probably is.

"Sorry kid, you're an absolutely exceptional student, athlete, and teammate ... but because you're a walk-on the NCAA says I can't give you a scholarship towards your eduction. I have to give the scholarship to a player who has no absolutely interest in academics or a degree and will waste every penny of it."

That would screwed. No doubt.

44cuse

okay, third times a charm. 165 dollars a year.
I'm trying to determine whether the people shaking their heads are doing so sarcastically, or really are just missing the joke fly over their heads.

okay, third times a charm. 165 dollars a year.

Ok. Listen though, math sarcasm doesn't work. Take it any other way than its face value.

Unless you are truly incapable of 12 months x$10 = $120

In which case, get off our board Mr. Ewing.....(I am assuming he finally learned to read)

I'm trying to determine whether the people shaking their heads are doing so sarcastically, or really are just missing the joke fly over their heads.

a little from column A, and a little from column B

Ok. Listen though, math sarcasm doesn't work. Take it any other way than its face value.

Unless you are truly incapable of 12 months x$10 = $120

In which case, get off our board Mr. Ewing.....(I am assuming he finally learned to read)
Oh Lord

Don't they have tutors and academic advisors who monitor the players class attendance and performance. Shouldn't he be suspended if he stopped going to class- he is a student athlete afterall.

Wait, this was sarcasm, right? If so, well done. I enjoyed it. If not, then just to clarify -- no, Dion's likely not a student-athlete and the vast majority of football/hoops and, perhaps, lacrosse players aren't. Nature of the beast. It's fine, but these college programs are a means to an end and sports are, far and away, the primary focus for most of these kids.

I have asked this before, but I have not gotten an answer yet

In the past, JB has given the empty scholarship slot to a walk on. We began the year with 12 scholarship players, leaving one open 'ship. Mookie left at the end of the 1st semester, opening up another.

Has JB given these slots to any of the senior walk ons? Resavy was on the All Big East Academic team and Reese has been on the Honor Roll in the past. Give either or both of them a 'ship and it helps the APR, or is that against the rules?

Can one award a scholarship in the middle of the year? I've never heard of such a thing, and assume Mookie's is empty now.

Pretty sure Reese is on scholarship again.

Wait, this was sarcasm, right? If so, well done. I enjoyed it. If not, then just to clarify -- no, Dion's likely not a student-athlete and the vast majority of football/hoops and, perhaps, lacrosse players aren't. Nature of the beast. It's fine, but these college programs are a means to an end and sports are, far and away, the primary focus for most of these kids.

Well then we should at least provide "tutors" to certain players who can at least do their work for them so they stay in good academic standing. Why should we be any different than the other top athletic programs who do this???

Ditto.

My opinion -- which is based on purely circumstantial evidence and is, before people start yelling at me, purely unsubstantiated -- is that there is absolutely no reason for Dion to be going to class so far as Dion is concerned. I mean, it would be nice if he were concerned about APR and the program, etc., but it's just not the vibe I get. Plus, he has been drooling at the site of the $$$ in the NBA since he started high school. Professional basketball is his career and is likely basically his sole focus.

I'm not judging him for that. I think we'd all love it if all these guys were Josh Pace/Andy Rautins team-first types, but they aren't. I have zero problem with the kid and refuse to even hint that I know him in the least. But if this team gets a 1-seed, Dion has a solid BE tourney and NCAA tourney, we go relatively deep (even the sweet 16 or maybe 8) and then he goes pro and gets drafted -- the Dion Waiters and Syracuse marriage will have been FAR more fruitful than I predicted it would be.

I remember a few years ago when they got dinged on the APR when Flynn, Harris, and Devo all left. He explained how they like to stay below the scholarship limit incase a medical redshirt, or something else comes up. Then, as noted above, give a walkon one if any are left over.

JB went on a rant about how this brilliant APR rule basically took a scholarship away from 2 walkons. That was the net punishment for guys leaving to go pro.

Another instance in which Boeheim attacked the wrong party and was incorrect. Flynn, Harris, and Devendorf took a scholarship away from walkons by deciding that February was a nice time to stop being students, despite the fact that they were enrolled and enjoying all the privileges that come with a free college education.

Well then we should at least provide "tutors" to certain players who can at least do their work for them so they stay in good academic standing. Why should we be any different than the other top athletic programs who do this???

Sounds good to me. I have zero problem with these kids cheating and/or abusing the system however they want so long as they stay eligible and don't land themselves in jail or in the courtroom for idiotic reasons. At the end of the day a degree or even progress towards a degree -- whether fairly earned or not -- is a much better outcome for everyone than a kid dropping out and scuffling along.

Another instance in which Boeheim attacked the wrong party and was incorrect. Flynn, Harris, and Devendorf took a scholarship away from walkons by deciding that February was a nice time to stop being students, despite the fact that they were enrolled and enjoying all the privileges that come with a free college education.

I see your point but I disagree. I mean, in an ideal world, yeah these kids would still go to class and at least put forth some moderate effort to get a degree that would help them out later in life. But, realistically, they are all professional basketball players. I guess Harris is looking to play football or something, but he and devendorf could play overseas and flynn has a chance to carve out a 10-year nba career. Their job as far as they are concerned is to put forth enough effort to stay eligible. When they no longer need to stay eligible, there simply isn't much point, in their eyes. And, I'm not sure I blame them. I mean, they should take classes, but they will probably have a better nest egg than I will ever have and can certainly finish up at a later date or get into coaching, etc.

My opinion -- which is based on purely circumstantial evidence and is, before people start yelling at me, purely unsubstantiated -- is that there is absolutely no reason for Dion to be going to class so far as Dion is concerned. I mean, it would be nice if he were concerned about APR and the program, etc., but it's just not the vibe I get. Plus, he has been drooling at the site of the $$$ in the NBA since he started high school. Professional basketball is his career and is likely basically his sole focus.

I'm not judging him for that. I think we'd all love it if all these guys were Josh Pace/Andy Rautins team-first types, but they aren't. I have zero problem with the kid and refuse to even hint that I know him in the least. But if this team gets a 1-seed, Dion has a solid BE tourney and NCAA tourney, we go relatively deep (even the sweet 16 or maybe 8) and then he goes pro and gets drafted -- the Dion Waiters and Syracuse marriage will have been FAR more fruitful than I predicted it would be.

I'll go where you didn't and (if what we hear is true) judge him for that. If he and Melo are gone (and are currently done with being students, to boot), Syracuse gets a 904 APR. There aren't too many things we could achieve during the tournament that could make that a net-win for SU.

Waiters signed up for obligations when Syracuse offered him a scholarship. Anything short of fulfilling them would absolutely screw over his current teammates (and ostensible friends) and - in the case of SU -- the athletic department as a whole. For those who don't want to carry out their academic duties, the Jeremy Tyler option always exists.

Can one award a scholarship in the middle of the year? I've never heard of such a thing, and assume Mookie's is empty now.

Pretty sure Reese is on scholarship again.
I do not know the rules at all, but I would assume that you can award a scholarship at the beginning of any semester

I see your point but I disagree. I mean, in an ideal world, yeah these kids would still go to class and at least put forth some moderate effort to get a degree that would help them out later in life. But, realistically, they are all professional basketball players. I guess Harris is looking to play football or something, but he and devendorf could play overseas and flynn has a chance to carve out a 10-year nba career. Their job as far as they are concerned is to put forth enough effort to stay eligible. When they no longer need to stay eligible, there simply isn't much point, in their eyes. And, I'm not sure I blame them. I mean, they should take classes, but they will probably have a better nest egg than I will ever have and can certainly finish up at a later date or get into coaching, etc.

That doesn't mean they did the right - ethical - thing.

Devo? He graduated didnt he?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom