Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Time to Realize: B1G wants and needs the EAST and mid-Atlantic

The B1G's expansion into the East has been silenced since the ACC GOR and what people are starting to realize is how Delany realizes the B1G footprint for population is slowly starting to erode and he has to expand his conference to try and getter better markets under his control. While NJ and MD aren't fast growing states they aren't OH, MI, IL, or PA which are losing population each census and as a result the B1G knows it can't touch the SEC so they are going after the ACC.

However, the ACC isn't being lead by the small Catholics schools who are more interested in the status quo a ala the Big East they have been proactive to try and flush the B1G advancement into their turf. Make no mistake while the SEC may not be friendly with the ACC they respect the ACC more than the B1G and this war is only starting. I started beating the drum yesterday STOP playing B1G schools if possible because their end game is to get Virginia, North Carolina under its umbrella because the states with the largest total population gains are Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, Virginia, Washington, Colorado.
Census_Domestic_Departures_States.PNG

While our state of NY is number one look at the fact three of the B1G's biggest states on this list, and PA is 12th, and NJ a future B1G state is third. The B1G is trying to get more TV sets so they can print more money than God, and the conference in their was the ACC. By trying to destroy the ACC the B1G was looking at more television sets BTN, expands their footprint into one that is right on the SEC's doorstep and gives their access to better athletes, and into the growing population of America, The ACC would be smart to get an alliance with the SEC similar to that of the Pac-12-B1G alliance. While the SEC may scoff it would be better for both conferences in the long term. I bet the B1G would be interested in UConn if a viable 16th school was available, and with the SEC network deal and the fact all schools gave the SEC network their 3rd tier rights for a long time Missouri isn't going to go to the B1G and UConn has no viable partner to get into the B1G.
The real war isn't between FOX and ESPN its between the B1G and SEC. So while I used to hate the SEC with a passion I still don't care for them, but despise the B1G a lot more.
B1G-FOX
Pac-12-FOX/ESPN
SEC-CBS/ESPN
ACC-ESPN
Big XII FOX/ESPN

I look at this and think "Boy we need to refocus on more Florida Schools and perhaps Texas as well for the ACC." But the states involved in the East are big and populous, and the ACC has already embarked on a strategy to ride the Atlantic Coast. We can still stick to that strategy and be successful.

Thinking about this more, if the B1G adds , the East division looks like:

Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan State

Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers
UConn

If you're Penn State, and four of your seven division games are absolute dogs, does that make you think harder about flipping?

Thinking about this more, if the B1G adds , the East division looks like:

Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan State

Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers
UConn

If you're Penn State, and four of your seven division games are absolute dogs, does that make you think harder about flipping?

Penn State loves the Eastern team additions. It gives their alums a lot of easy games they can take over opponent's stadiums and they would still play Michigan/Ohio State each year. Penn State isn't flipping to the ACC that shipped sailed when RU and Maryland joined the B1G. The ACC needs ND to eventually commit and look into UConn or Cincinnati as the 16th team.

The ACC was first with Pittsburgh, Syracuse, then SEC, and big 12 acted. The ACC , Notre Dame had rumored to talk, then Notre Dame was added, the Big 10 took Maryland, Rutgers to try to save face. The ACC now should take UConn to shut off the east, then at same time add Cincinnati, in the Midwest. The Big 12 should add USF, UCF, Memphis ,Temple, then stop. That would take most all the schools off the board, and give the ACC, and Big 12 a good reason for cross-scheduling. That's thinking Big, which you need to do , when dealing with someone who wants to rule the world like Delaney.

This is why I've been saying we need MSG every year instead of alternating. Simply need to keep the B10 out.

These developments are going to make Swofford's case to the Greensboro-or-Bust crowd much easier to prove. Tourney is coming to NYC. Bank on it. History takes a seat to the future.

We all saw this BIG move coming weeks ago, minus the JHU development. Nothing has really changed as far as this situation is concerned. Arb has kept us well informed. Glad I'm not a Yankee fan so I can hate them with a passion for siding with the BIG. ;)

I think the ACC should do the following:
1) finalize ACC tournament in MSG. This is a no brainer.
2) determine if Charlotte is the best place for ACC football championship. Too bad SEC took Atlanta.
3) see if ACC or SU can get advertising in Radio City Music Hall. The NFL Draft is a home game for SU and the ACC. The world should know it.
4) working with SEC and ESPN, see if the NFL combine can be moved from Indianapolis to Atlanta.
5) keep working the ACC network with ESPN. Use ESPN and Raycom's archives to air classic games not the garbage on B1G. Create an ESPN ACC website ala ESPN NY with links to all of the city specific ESPN sites with an ACC presence.
6). Offer Texas the exact same deal as Notre Dame, factoring a later start date when their Big 12 deal expires.

This is a most interesting thread. Thanks arbitragegls.

I was not going to post this,but a relative of mine who knows Doug Marrone very well on the local and state football operations flat out told and confirmed this to me.

Syracuse did in fact had an offer to the Big 10 a few years back,but Doug felt we were not ready for it.

This I learned a few weeks ago. I clearly asked him if this was just rumors and he said no as Doug told him this in person.

Some folks here on this board knows who my source is,that is all I am going to say

I was not going to post this,but a relative of mine who knows Doug Marrone very well on the local and state football operations flat out told and confirmed this to me.

Syracuse did in fact had an offer to the Big 10 a few years back,but Doug felt we were not ready for it.

This I learned a few weeks ago. I clearly asked him if this was just rumors and he said no as Doug told him this in person.

Some folks here on this board knows who my source is,that is all I am going to say
Don't know who your source is/was, but no way in hell did doogie freakin marrones opinion matter. Not sure if u meant that, but it had to be said in case u did.

I can't imagine anyone turning down an offer either.

I can believe the B10 offered. We have had a line of communications open with them and the ACC for years. I can also see SU saying no thanks if we also had an ACC quarantee because the ACC is a better fit for the University. I can also see Marrone saying we weren't ready for the B10 as a football program. But, I have no doubt Marrone had zero say in the final decision. Those decisions aren't made by the football coach, nor the basketball coach.

There is no way on earth that HCDM unilaterally turned down an 'offer' from the B1G. He may very well have felt we weren't ready, but that would have had NO bearing on the administration deciding yea or nay. If there was a real offer on the table, TGD would have dragged HCDM kicking and screaming into the land of milk and honey. Unless, of course, the ACC offer was known at the same time.

Sorry retro. I am sure you were told this, but it just doesn't pass the smell test.

this was told to me at my fathers wake so there was no reason at all for him to lie to me during that time.

from what i told they asked for some input and he said he felt they were not ready,not his blessings to say whether his thoughts were final if they were to go or not and I never implied that.

there was more said...but there are just too many know it all s

I can also see Marrone saying we weren't ready for the B10 as a football program. But, I have no doubt Marrone had zero say in the final decision. Those decisions aren't made by the football coach, nor the basketball coach.

BINGO

BINGO
Of course.

But if his input was 'thanks, but no thanks'...then this know it all thinks doogie is a moron in the highest of levels.

'We're gonna work on some things and when we're better and ready, we will call u and accept that invite!!!'

iPads suck. I need my emoticons....

I can believe the B10 offered. We have had a line of communications open with them and the ACC for years. I can also see SU saying no thanks if we also had an ACC quarantee because the ACC is a better fit for the University. I can also see Marrone saying we weren't ready for the B10 as a football program. But, I have no doubt Marrone had zero say in the final decision. Those decisions aren't made by the football coach, nor the basketball coach.
If history has taught us anything, it's that there is no such thing as an ACC guarantee.

They were on campus, freakin celebrating and congratulating us...and we didn't get in.

No offer, no way.

ive pounded the hell out of this drum...rutgers, as stupid and idiotic and hilarious and foolish as they are...shouldve been added by the ACC to get to 15 right away.

its all about land and eyeballs now.

delany isnt even using a trojan horse, hes setting up shop.

khruschev returns.....

Oh Lord

Rutgers would NEVER get the votes to be invited. Plain and simple.

acc had no reason to add john Hopkins in lacrosse as they will be gewtting an autobid in a few years as there are a couple teams looking to start sponsoring lacrosse in the acc

This is correct. Louisville may look to add men's lacrosse. To do so, they will need another women's sport to remain Title IX compliant.

I think Washington, D.C. Is a great spot for an ACC football championship game.

These developments are going to make Swofford's case to the Greensboro-or-Bust crowd much easier to prove. Tourney is coming to NYC. Bank on it. History takes a seat to the future.

We all saw this BIG move coming weeks ago, minus the JHU development. Nothing has really changed as far as this situation is concerned. Arb has kept us well informed. Glad I'm not a Yankee fan so I can hate them with a passion for siding with the BIG. ;)

JMHO...I do not see the ACC placing its crown jewel in one venue on a premanent basis. Not even for MSG. As intriguing as it is.

I think Washington, D.C. Is a great spot for an ACC football championship game.

How about we alternate it between Charlotte and DC? Charlotte in odd years, DC in even years. Charlotte as a nod to the southern schools, and, DC as a nod to our new conference mates from the north.

What say you, 'Cuse fans?

How about we alternate it between Charlotte and DC? Charlotte in odd years, DC in even years. Charlotte as a nod to the southern schools, and, DC as a nod to our new conference mates from the north.

What say you, 'Cuse fans?
I say F the South.

Put the hoop tourney at MSG and the football Championship in Giants Stadium.

Welcome to the new ACC.

I say F the South.

Put the hoop tourney at MSG and the football Championship in Giants Stadium.

Welcome to the new ACC.

LOL...I like the enthusiasm. Neither is going to happen, but, the choices are for sure intriguing.

Arb... thank you again for your insightful, educational posts. You are a treasure here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom