Trebor Pena | Syracusefan.com

Trebor Pena

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
He deserves his own thread after that game.

I believe I recall a poster or a group of them who weren’t sold on him or didn’t think he would be much of a part of the team moving forward.

He was consistently open, they found ways to put the ball in his hands, and he showed he is the second option behind Gadsden in the passing game.

If he can stay healthy, he’s going to be a matchup problem.

I never thought he would be a game changer but glad I’m wrong. What a breakout! Aside from three TDs I think he also had a couple third down conversions.
He completely performed on par with the lofty compliments he has been receiving. He is an absolute stud. So happy for him and OG to come out healthy game 1 and finish that way with huge days.

I have been a fan all along. He always seems to be open and isn't afraid to go across the middle. On the other hand that may be the reason for his injuries.

Surprised the receivers in general don’t have their own thread. What a difference from what we’ve seen the past few years. Tough catches, going and getting the ball, not afraid to go over the middle and take a shot. Only saw 1 alligator arm attempt and it was from Hatcher which was disappointing from a beautiful ball from Kyle on a comeback route.

Amazing what happens to WR’s when you put a ball in catchable areas. And this isn’t a knock on GS, I loved GS, but he was never a guy who could sling it like Kyle. Now, Kyle can’t move like GS, which makes the OL extremely important. But, Kyle’s going to put receivers in the position to make plays, and yesterday they did that.

Pena had a phenomenal day, and showed a ton of potential. His first grab was a beauty, as they all ended up being.

Between OG, Zeed & Pena, we have targets. Then we have enticing depth behind them to make plays. I think we’re going to throw it all over the yard this year.

They wanted to hit Zeed deep on the first series, he had a 2-way on the 1st two plays when the boundary corner was in man with no safety help. Zeed broke both off, the 2nd one correctly and we hit the comeback.

OG is a matchup nightmare. Sunday guy all day. He’s going to be an integral part all year.

And how about allowing the RB’s to be a part of the passing game.

I don’t know that we’ve ever had someone who can read and throw it like Kyle, true pocket guy. We’ve had ultra productive QB’s, but that guy can read, anticipate and spin it.

Lot of nitpicking on the maiden voyage yesterday. Outside of the dumb defensive penalties, we ran a clean operation. No delay of games, no procedure penalties. Calls got in and out (with the exception of when Marlowe went down). When’s the last game you can remember without procedure penalties, delays or needless TO’s because we couldn’t get a call in.

Lot more positives than negatives for me yesterday. But hey, to each their own.

Don't know where to put this, but how about that superb catch (Haynes, Meeks?) made on that long pass on the far sideline even with the PI penalty. He was mugged and still caught it. We don't have a WR room, we've got an auditorium.

Last edited:
Don't know where to put this, but how about that superb catch (Haynes, Meeks?) made on that long pass on the far sideline even with the PI penalty. He was mugged and still caught it. We don't have a WR room, we've got an auditorium.
I’ve been waiting for Trebor to show what he’s got besides returning punts and he did that vs. Ohio. He’s from Ocean Township NJ, a track star, with great hands - legit, very fast 4.4 40 - just looked it up. Many mismatches are in the offing this year especially when he is underestimated. Very quick and he’s by you as in the running TD he had. We have a great receiver and running back room. Now all we have to do is catch every ball and use our backs well.

The D will be OK even without Wax we are deep we just need to play more games after Ohio.

GTech. I watched last night and they are not THAT great, IMO. I think their game vs FST was an anomaly.I think we win this one in the Dome. McCord is just too good with the pass and by then the D will have been reviewed and fixed. I hope.

Saw Fran go after one of his assistant coaches after a penalty yesterday camera was on the whole thing – wow don’t let him be upset with you because he will go after you until you get what he’s got for you – if you screwed up he’s going to let you know. But he noted his emotions are something he’s working on to tone down on the sidelines.

Fran Brown – miracles happen and we are the recipient.

if healthy, does he have the measurables to be a practice squad guy, special teams guy, more, or no chance?

Hunter Renfrow is 5'10" and 185 lbs. Pena is 6 feet 184 lbs. It is doable for a guy his size to make it, but he has to prove he can stay healthy and put up numbers consistently.

Give GA Tech more players to focus on. :)

reminds me of erv phillips .. get open in space, catch everything thrown at ya, and let them focus on Amba/Steve Ishmael (Gadsden, Hatcher) while you run a mismatch

reminds me of erv phillips .. get open in space, catch everything thrown at ya, and let them focus on Amba/Steve Ishmael (Gadsden, Hatcher) while you run a mismatch
You also had Estime on that team, great set of receivers.

Hunter Renfrow is 5'10" and 185 lbs. Pena is 6 feet 184 lbs. It is doable for a guy his size to make it, but he has to prove he can stay healthy and put up numbers consistently.
Pena's that tall?

Are we sure?

I had told my kids last year not having Pena after losing Gadsen was the second biggest loss for the team (besides obviously Shrader), as others had said he seemed to be able to get open when others haven't and had a bit of wiggle after the catch. If Ross-Simmons gets healthy and comes back we will have some pretty good receivers for McCord to throw to. Pena can get open short or down field. If we can provide protection in the Pass game it will open up the offense and help get the running game going also.

Even the interception on the throw downfield to Hatcher was a poor attempt by Hatcher to go after the ball. A good WR makes a better attempt going after the ball and makes the reception or at worst the pass is incomplete. This is something Syracuse wideouts other than a few have done a poor job over the recent past bailing the QB out on 50-50 balls.

Count me as one of the skeptics. I hope I get a nice serving of crow every week for the rest of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom