Turning the Court? Really? Give me your thoughts... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Turning the Court? Really? Give me your thoughts...

The fact is this: Aside from diehard Syracuse fans, NO ONE is going to care about a basketball game in Syracuse that weekend. The media will be tripping over themselves looking for new stories, and new angles, about the NYC Super Bowl. And don't forget: NYC is the media capital of the world. The NYC media set the national agenda for media coverage.
Very respectfully... ESPN decided to put Gameday in 'Cuse that weekend. I think the fact that the folks from ESPN chose to put this matchup of the the two Hall of Famers in their first ACC clash in the Dome, on this particular weekend, means they think it is a great sports weekend, and this would be the best possible game to offer (of any they could pick across the board for the entire nation, in the entire season). I realize I am not a season ticket holder (it is tough to do from California). But I am someone who bleeds Orange, and understands the national perspective of Syracuse, and how other fanbases maintain connections to their Universities. I also know that Superbowl weekend is a sporting bonanza for every fan of their respective sport. Las Vegas has one of their biggest weekends of the year (and the visitors watch all sports-and this will be THE prime NCAA game). It will be talked about, just for the fact that it is different for 'Cuse, and that no one else can do it. It is unique, special. It might not be as convenient to "pre-game." But it will be a one of a kind event that you (and everyone in attendance) will have been apart of.

When you have someone of the historical brilliance of coach K and coach B, squaring off for the first time (and not too many years from their last time)... When you look back on this, it won't feel wrong a one bit to have done something special, and different to commmemorate it.

The negative response from loyal fans really is shocking.It is NOT a bait and switch. I truly, in my heart, believe the Dr Gross thought that they were doing something even bigger than anyone could have imagined for the Duke game (and that it wouldbe met with excitement). It was supposed to be a nice surprise to start this new chapter in Syracuse athletics. They were making a big game even bigger!

I really hope the loyal season ticket holders can embrace this. Nationally, this will be something special.

I usually agree with the moderators on this forum, but I have to respectfully disagree with a few of the points made.

The Super Bowl will have no effect on the demand for tickets at this game. Alumni and SU fans will be at this game over the Super Bowl. If its the giants, jets, patriots, or bills I could see a small argument, but no diehard basketball fan will miss this game over the Super Bowl. I know I'm one of the younger alumni on this board(2007), but I think some of the older than me contingent on this board are overrating the effects of the Super Bowl. The fact we are talking about this game today just shows you how much demand there will be for this game. I dont remember any other time all of us were this excited for a regular season game for basketball in August. About 15 of my friends already said they are going to make the trip. Most have already booked hotels today. Just because the Super Bowl is a huge party doesn't mean a lot of younger alumni have the money to party in NYC for an entire week. Younger alumni will show up to this game. Locals will show up. The demand for tickets will be there, especially when you take into account the fact tons of people hate Duke.

I don't care if they move the court or not, but it would be an innovative concept. I'm all for new ideas and ways to make the program even better. Why not give it a shot if the demand is there. I trust that the athletic department will accommodate the season ticket holders as much as possible. I'm sorry, just because people are comfortable with the status quo doesn't mean you don't change things.

Very respectfully... ESPN decided to put Gameday in 'Cuse that weekend. I think the fact that the folks from ESPN chose to put this matchup of the the two Hall of Famers in their first ACC clash in the Dome, on this particular weekend, means they think it is a great sports weekend, and this would be the best possible game to offer (of any they could pick across the board for the entire nation, in the entire season). I realize I am not a season ticket holder (it is tough to do from California). But I am someone who bleeds Orange, and understands the national perspective of Syracuse, and how other fanbases maintain connections to their Universities. I also know that Superbowl weekend is a sporting bonanza for every fan of their respective sport. Las Vegas has one of their biggest weekends of the year (and the visitors watch all sports-and this will be THE prime NCAA game). It will be talked about, just for the fact that it is different for 'Cuse, and that no one else can do it. It is unique, special. It might not be as convenient to "pre-game." But it will be a one of a kind event that you (and everyone in attendance) will have been apart of.

When you have someone of the historical brilliance of coach K and coach B, squaring off for the first time (and not too many years from their last time)... When you look back on this, it won't feel wrong a one bit to have done something special, and different to commmemorate it.

The negative response from loyal fans really is shocking.It is NOT a bait and switch. I truly, in my heart, believe the Dr Gross thought that they were doing something even bigger than anyone could have imagined for the Duke game (and that it wouldbe met with excitement). It was supposed to be a nice surprise to start this new chapter in Syracuse athletics. They were making a big game even bigger!

I really hope the loyal season ticket holders can embrace this. Nationally, this will be something special.
Good post. Appreciate your view point.

I usually agree with the moderators on this forum, but I have to respectfully disagree with a few of the points made.

The Super Bowl will have no effect on the demand for tickets at this game. Alumni and SU fans will be at this game over the Super Bowl. If its the giants, jets, patriots, or bills I could see a small argument, but no diehard basketball fan will miss this game over the Super Bowl. I know I'm one of the younger alumni on this board(2007), but I think some of the older than me contingent on this board are overrating the effects of the Super Bowl. The fact we are talking about this game today just shows you how much demand there will be for this game. I dont remember any other time all of us were this excited for a regular season game for basketball in August. About 15 of my friends already said they are going to make the trip. Most have already booked hotels today. Just because the Super Bowl is a huge party doesn't mean a lot of younger alumni have the money to party in NYC for an entire week. Younger alumni will show up to this game. Locals will show up. The demand for tickets will be there, especially when you take into account the fact tons of people hate Duke.

I don't care if they move the court or not, but it would be an innovative concept. I'm all for new ideas and ways to make the program even better. Why not give it a shot if the demand is there. I trust that the athletic department will accommodate the season ticket holders as much as possible. I'm sorry, just because people are comfortable with the status quo doesn't mean you don't change things.
Good post. Appreciate your viewpoint.

All the season ticket holders who don't want to go can give their tickets to Vera House, McMahon Ryan House or Ronald McDonald House.

Forest fires are killing us. Whole sky is smoke.

It hits 10 in February, and we are in shorts and T shirts, having bon fires outside lol
Forest fires? Try terrorists. And rogue athletic directors.

I was just making a funny with you anyway

I'll gladly accept whatever seat relocation SU gives me for the game on one condition:

Everyone who's planning on watching at home on TV has to turn off their 70" flat screens and watch the game on a beat up 14" Black & White TV instead.

After all, if the season ticket holders have to "suck it up" for the good of the program, it can only be twice as good for the program if the fans at home share the suck. ;)

oh, you mean the same conditions I watch every other game in? I can handle that.

Jason, it is the dumbest idea I've heard recently.

1) Most season ticket holders would wind up with far inferior seats, a long way from the court. (In previous threads here on this subject, season ticket holders have generally opposed the idea... while people who never attend games seemed to favor it). Let's not disenfranchise the fans who are the team's core supporters.

2) We can get 35,000-plus in the Dome now... which is almost twice as many as any other on-campus venue.

3) If you want to get more people into the Dome, put a huge TV screen on the back of the bleachers and sell tickets to the seats back there... and/or standing room tickets. In that way, people could have the "Dome experience" if they wish to be there for a big game.

4) Getting rid of the area behind the bleachers would be a huge mistake. It is where people, especially families, go before the game and at halftime. There, they can buy souvenirs and refreshments, and the kids can run around, and participate in the activities back there. If you move the court to the center of the field, these people would have no place to go pre-game and half-time.

5) We're supposed to have a home court advantage. A new set-up would be just as new to the SU team, as it would be to the visitors.

6) 35,000 people in the current set-up will be just as loud as 50,000 in the full dome -- probably louder ... and they are a lot closer to the court.

7) And the cost for reconfiguring it on a one-time basis --- and then reconfiguring it back --- would be huge. Moving and/or constructing the court itself, additional seats for field level would have to be rented or bought, electrical wiring, reconfiguring seating chart, printing new tickets, hiring additional ushers and security, the labor involved for all of the above, etc. All this cost would more than offset any additional revenues, I suspect.

Really? Im a 15 year season ticket holder and I love the idea. Your views seems very narrow sighted and adverse to change. If we do not progress, we wither and die. I could shoot holes in 6 of your 7 points, but I will not.

Phoenix hosted the Super Bowl and the most attended golf tourney in the US. Didn't impact either draw.

Why wouldn't there be a correlation? In many cases it is the same people supporting both programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but those supporters can still support any game from the dome.

For the record, I am not for the games to be in MetLife - but I am for the court to be turned (well in advance of buying tickets, so this year is out of the question)

Really? Im a 15 year season ticket holder and I love the idea. Your views seems very narrow sighted and adverse to change. If we do not progress, we wither and die. I could shoot holes in 6 of your 7 points, but I will not.
Does the thought of moving the court make you excited I the pants?

Phoenix hosted the Super Bowl and the most attended golf tourney in the US. Didn't impact either draw.

Just wait until they get rid of the caddie races.

Just wait until they get rid of the caddie races.

???? I don't think they're doing the events same weekend anymore in 2015. Probably because Mickelson complained

Don't understand why anyone would be against this unless you feel like we would not fill the dome. That is my only fear.
I was at final four in a football stadium with 35k seats more than the carrier done. The atmosphere was great !! No clue why season tix holders think there seats would be so much worse.

You really think my #4 is poor? Have you ever been at a big game at the Dome? Prior to the game.. and at half time, thousands of people are in that area behind the bleachers. They are buying souvenirs and refreshments for their kids. And the kids are running around. And working off energy. And participating in all the stuff available back there. It is the ONE THING that makes the Dome a family-friendly place for basketball games.

Our 35k crowds already ARE the talk of the country and the talking heads. No one is going to top them.

And PS.. the season ticket holders HAVE ALREADY bought their tickets for this season. So there is no way to tell them in advance that they are, so to speak, buying a pig in a poke.

For one game it's that big a deal?

Personally I have never walked around back there.

The b*tching and moaning in this thread is epic. It's a game. Are the supporters going to support the program regardless of where the court is for one game? If your answer is no, well, that's the definition of an oxymoron and irony.

I've been many times (never to 16 oddly) and have never heard of this. Weird.

Probably because if you're at the course, you're not watching the live video feeds from 16 on your phone/computer. :D

Probably because if you're at the course, you're not watching the live video feeds from 16 on your phone/computer. :D
So true. Honestly I've never ventured much past 17/18.

Can anyone tell me when this decision would have to be made to accommodate all the logistics/communications/etc?

Can anyone tell me when this decision would have to be made to accommodate all the logistics/communications/etc?
Before tickets are shipped.

our greatest rival ever was Georgetown, and the feeling was mutual.

We never "turned the court" for the Hoyas.

Duke will never see us as their top rival, even if, as proposed, we drop our panties for them on the first date.
NC will probably end up our biggest ACC rival after Coach K is done.
Hope it will be treated the same way as Duke/NC when Hop and Wojo(?) are going at it in the next 30 years. GO ORANGE!

NC will probably end up our biggest ACC rival after Coach K is done.
Hope it will be treated the same way as Duke/NC when Hop and Wojo(?) are going at it in the next 30 years. GO ORANGE!
No. Sorry. Wojo might beK's heir apparent... Who follows ol' Roy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom