Turning the Court? Really? Give me your thoughts... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Turning the Court? Really? Give me your thoughts...

Can anyone tell me when this decision would have to be made to accommodate all the logistics/communications/etc?

I would say within 30 days.

No doubt they have, or will soon, lay out the court in the middle of the Dome and test the various sightlines, etc.

Not sure if this has been discussed among the various threads, but where would they put the SSS and the students?

If this is a dash for cash, is it worth it?

Duke fans have to be laughing their asses off over this controversy. Well ... Some of them. The rest believe their team is being given the proper respect they deserve.

Bottom line : What's in this move for Syracuse, other than potentially more money?

Keep the court where it is, and rock the house. F-ck Duke. Moving the court would give them far more respect than they deserve.

Duke fans have to be laughing their asses off over this controversy. Well ... Some of them. The rest believe their team is being given the proper respect they deserve.

Bottom line : What's in this move for Syracuse, other than potentially more money.

Keep the court where it is, and rock the house. F-ck Duke. Moving the court would give the far more respect than they deserve.

I think in the end it will be close to a wash. Granted you'll get about 600K from additional ticket/box (I won't call them suites. Suites have a can in them) sales. On the minus side, I think the cost to pull this off will be 500K.

I would say within 30 days.

No doubt they have, or will soon, lay out the court in the middle of the Dome and test the various sightlines, etc.

Not sure if this has been discussed among the various threads, but where would they put the SSS and the students?
SRO in a roped off section right behind the dook bench.

4 kegs, pump your own beer.

After we beat them we should storm the court, that would be the cherry to top this epic Sundae. Better yet, get Ithaca home of the Sundae to make the Worlds Largest Sundae the day of the game, have it shipped up to the dome. We will also need a Ferris wheel.

I think in the end it will be close to a wash. Granted you'll get about 600K from additional ticket/box (I won't call them suites. Suites have a can in them) sales. On the minus side, I think the cost to pull this off will be 500K.

i think you are a bit light on the $600k, assuming additional 15k people attend. i would say duke would draw about 35k without this. say the average ticket price is $50. (this is a guess). $50 x 15k = $750,000. Then assuming each person spends approximately $15 in concessions (i know with beer, ill probably spend $30-$40 range) $15 x 15k is $225,000. i think the revenue is closer to $1M.

i am unsure of the added costs. i'd say you are high but being the first time they do this, you might not be correct. however, some of that money should be considered an investment because if this is successful, which im fairly confident it will be, then it will be repeated in the future.

Bottom line : What's in this move for Syracuse, other than potentially more money?

Keep the court where it is, and rock the house. F-ck Duke. Moving the court would give them far more respect than they deserve.

Yup. Duke isn't worried about adding seats when Syracuse comes to town, and neither is anyone else in the ACC. Why give respect to those who don't give you any?

Edited to add: Should have put "extra" before respect above. Obviously everyone in the ACC respects JB ans Cuse's history. But adding seats implies "extra" respect that no one is giving you, so why should you give it to anyone else?

Here is my biggest bitch. For years, the one team that every Syracuse fan wanted to see at the dome, that has never been here is Duke. Some if our season ticket holders go way way back, donating tens or hundreds of thousand dollars over that time.

Duke is finally coming here, and the school is going to tell these people "oh, your seats which are 10 feet from the court are now 40. We encourage you to buy some opera glasses for this game".

Really? That sounds fair to anyone?

If I'm the athletic director, I'd try to get creative and add seats to the existing set up for this game...but the next time duke comes to town, move the court if it warrants it. The complaining would be minimal.

I certainly see the value in doing it, just not the first time Duke comes.

Here is my biggest bitch. For years, the one team that every Syracuse fan wanted to see at the dome, that has never been here is Duke. Some if our season ticket holders go way way back, donating tens or hundreds of thousand dollars over that time.

Duke is finally coming here, and the school is going to tell these people "oh, your seats which are 10 feet from the court are now 40. We encourage you to buy some opera glasses for this game".

Really? That sounds fair to anyone?

If I'm the athletic director, I'd try to get creative and add seats to the existing set up for this game...but the next time duke comes to town, move the court if it warrants it. The complaining would be minimal.

I certainly see the value in doing it, just not the first time Duke comes.

I agree with you. But wouldn't the counter argument be that you can't guarantee that it will JB v. K the next time Duke comes to Syracuse? Wouldn't that kill the option for putting the court in the middle of the Dome?

i think you are a bit light on the $600k, assuming additional 15k people attend. i would say duke would draw about 35k without this. say the average ticket price is $50. (this is a guess). $50 x 15k = $750,000. Then assuming each person spends approximately $15 in concessions (i know with beer, ill probably spend $30-$40 range) $15 x 15k is $225,000. i think the revenue is closer to $1M.

i am unsure of the added costs. i'd say you are high but being the first time they do this, you might not be correct. however, some of that money should be considered an investment because if this is successful, which im fairly confident it will be, then it will be repeated in the future.

And if you alienate your preferred season ticket holders & boosters, and they decide to reduce or eliminate their annual contributions to the program, you'll lose at least that much in annual donations.

If you piss off only 100 preferred season ticket holders, and each donor made an average contribution of $5000 per year, that's $500,000 in lost annual contributions that SU will never see again. And there are well over 2000 "Preferred A" donors who would be displaced by moving the court.

Sounds like an awesome business plan.

And if you alienate your preferred season ticket holders & boosters, and they decide to reduce or eliminate their annual contributions to the program, you'll lose at least that much in annual donations.

If you piss off only 100 preferred season ticket holders, and each donor made an average contribution of $5000 per year, that's $500,000 in lost annual contributions that SU will never see again. And there are well over 2000 "Preferred A" donors who would be displaced by moving the court.

Sounds like an awesome business plan.

"sounds like an awesome business plan" that's a snarky remark considering your assuming what you say will happen, which it likely won't, but i suppose it makes your point somehow more valid...

if any donor or season ticket holder reduces their contribution because of this, they're a p*ssy.

the posters who don't concede the other side of the argument are insane. i can see why the season ticket holders may be mildly upset. i can have sympathy, although i don't have empathy. what's the difference? i am a season ticket holder and i dont feel bad for myself.

"sounds like an awesome business plan" that's a snarky remark considering your assuming what you say will happen, which it likely won't, but i suppose it makes your point somehow more valid...

if any donor or season ticket holder reduces their contribution because of this, they're a p*ssy.

the posters who don't concede the other side of the argument are insane. i can see why the season ticket holders may be mildly upset. i can have sympathy, although i don't have empathy. what's the difference? i am a season ticket holder and i dont feel bad for myself.

And yet you're arrogantly assuming that this will be a success, which it likely won't. Who's being snarky now.

And yet you're arrogantly assuming that this will be a success, which it likely won't. Who's being snarky now.

i don't think im being arrogant by thinking it will be a success. arrogance involves me thinking highly of myself. i don't see how that correlates with my thinking that turning the court will be a success. that's an opinion that doesn't have to do anything with myself. that being said, suppose i somehow was being arrogant, you're guilty of the same thing for "arrogantly" assuming it will be a failure.

let's stick to the original point. do you really believe this will alienate donors and season ticket holders to the point of no return? that seems like a big overreeaction. however, i suppose there are people willing to fill their spots in those cush seats.

Sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the donors should continue to give their money to a program that is saying we really don't care about you? As noted by others, this wouldn't be the 1st time that SU has taken something from the donors.

Most of the people here have stated that the biggest complaint is that they have paid for their seasons (and made their donations) without any information that SU was considering moving the court for the biggest home game of the year. That's not being against the move, or the program, that's being against an extremely poor business tactic.

let's stick to the original point. do you really believe this will alienate donors and season ticket holders to the point of no return? that seems like a big overreeaction. however, i suppose there are people willing to fill their spots in those cush seats.

I believe it will alienate donors. They will still get season tickets, but their contributions to Athletics will decrease (or disappear). A lot of people think that the ACC money is more than enough for SU to stay competitive financially, but I think many overestimate this.

Donations might not impact FB and Hoops, but the overall success will suffer. The "All-Star" coaching roster hasn't come cheap, and taking away from the Olympic sports will send them back to where they were pre-DG.

So the donors should continue to give their money to a program that is saying we really don't care about you? As noted by others, this wouldn't be the 1st time that SU has taken something from the donors.

Most of the people here have stated that the biggest complaint is that they have paid for their seasons (and made their donations) without any information that SU was considering moving the court for the biggest home game of the year. That's not being against the move, or the program, that's being against an extremely poor business tactic.

i dont think this says i dont care about you. again, i think that is an overreaction. they aren't being barred from the game. however, i already conceded its a valid point that this wasn't disclosed prior. that being said, i think it is ok if the season ticket holders are reasonably accomodated.

I believe it will alienate donors. They will still get season tickets, but their contributions to Athletics will decrease (or disappear). A lot of people think that the ACC money is more than enough for SU to stay competitive financially, but I think many overestimate this.

Donations might not impact FB and Hoops, but the overall success will suffer. The "All-Star" coaching roster hasn't come cheap, and taking away from the Olympic sports will send them back to where they were pre-DG.

ok so donors are going to hurt the track team because they had a different seat for one basketball game. im glad i know all the ramifications now.

Define "success" in this situation as it relates to ticket sales, increased donations, and recruiting.

i don't think im being arrogant by thinking it will be a success. arrogance involves me thinking highly of myself. i don't see how that correlates with my thinking that turning the court will be a success. that's an opinion that doesn't have to do anything with myself. that being said, suppose i somehow was being arrogant, you're guilty of the same thing for "arrogantly" assuming it will be a failure.

ok so donors are going to hurt the track team because they had a different seat for one basketball game. im glad i know all the ramifications now.
yes.

clearly you havnt been paying attention.

its an unwritten known.

and im not being snarky.

Man I wish we got this much passion from the fanbase about the football games being moved to Metlife. I totally agree with the season ticket holders here but at least if something does happen it will at least be in the Dome. Try imagining we just signed a 4 game deal with Kentucky in bball and play zero home games, that pretty much our deal with Notre Dame in football.

I agree with you. But wouldn't the counter argument be that you can't guarantee that it will JB v. K the next time Duke comes to Syracuse? Wouldn't that kill the option for putting the court in the middle of the Dome?

Even more reason not to move the court this time. It might be a one time only event...and you're not giving long time donors the seat they've paid thousands of dollars to squat on. I mean isn't that the whole point of season tickets and the annual pick your seat day?

Even more reason not to move the court this time. It might be a one time only event...and you're not giving long time donors the seat they've paid thousands of dollars to squat on. I mean isn't that the whole point of season tickets and the annual pick your seat day?

Best argument I have heard for keeping the court right where it is.

Yes I do. There will be backlash from this. You really won't know the full extent until next year when the next round of Orange Club donations are due. You will lose some season ticket holders, and there will be season ticket holders who reduce their donations to the absolute minimum. This has to be factored into the total cost of staging this event.

And if you think that Central New York is loaded with people/local businesses who are willing and able to make the minimum contributions required for the best preferred seats (not to mention people willing to donate thousands of dollars over and above the minimum), you would be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom