U.S. Open | Syracusefan.com

U.S. Open

victor

All Conference
Phil is leading. Tiger is struggling, and I want to know why I can't get a drop out of the parking lot when these guys can get a drop out of the stands.

Would like to see Phil finally get his US Open but considering the risk he always plays with I doubt he can keep it under control for 4 rounds.

Just turned it on, and within 5 minutes Berman has made about 6 comments that reminded me why I hate him.

Having him announce the national championship is one of God's really sick jokes on humanity.

pro golfers should have to play the same game we do.. hit the ball , find the ball. no help from anyone. the avg player get lost balls on pretty good shots

pro golfers should have to play the same game we do.. hit the ball , find the ball. no help from anyone. the avg player get lost balls on pretty good shots

Agree with two exceptions. Don't take away my mulligan on the first hole and let me call my puts in the leather good.

It would be one big Easter egg hunt out there. 6+ hour rounds . It would be funny to watch though.

Would like to see Phil finally get his US Open but considering the risk he always plays with I doubt he can keep it under control for 4 rounds.

Phil is playing under control - no driver in his bag - as usual it will come down to putting. Will be pulling hard for him tomorrow because of his demeanor and the fact that he is a lefty. Runner up five times he is overdue and his time is running out.

If he's in the lead later today we'll see if he learned from the disaster at Winged Foot.

Am i the only one that hates the white pants a lot of players wear these days? The players that wear them look like they are either on shore leave, disco kings, or extras in a feminine hygiene commercial.

The winner this week was Merion. The pampered pros don't know how to play out of a real rough.

I love that the front page headline on ESPN is "Phil Falls Short Again" instead of, oh I don't know, ANYTHING about Rose actually winning? I really hate the media sometimes. Give Rose some freaking credit. On a brutal day out there, he shot a 70 and won his first major. Why does Lefty have to be the headline?

Especially when you watched Rose play 18. Textbook on a brutal hole.

Rose seemed like a real nice guy, rare in the world of self-centered millionaires and God Squaders.

BTW, I'm sure that many of you serious golfers know (I never did) that Mickelson's nickname amongst his fellow golfers is 'Fig Jam'. As in:

F***
I'm
Good

Just
Ask
Me.

Says lots about Mickelson and his fellow golfers.

Yeah, while Phil is beloved by the media and the viewing public, I've heard that his peers can't stand him, not because he isn't a nice guy, but because he's a huge know it all. Like, about everything. I think it was Rick Reilly on ESPN Radio talking to Colin Cowherd where I got that, and Reilly said Phil has the reputation of being a guy who will walk into any conversation and immediately be an "authority" on the subject, whatever it is.

Love Phil. Rooted for him. Sad for him. But he's to the only one with a personal story. Rose played better and deserved to win his first major. Good for him.

Phil chose the wrong club at 13. And what was with that chip shot and divot on the green at 15?!? I didn't know you could do that.

Am i the only one that hates the white pants a lot of players wear these days? The players that wear them look like they are either on shore leave, disco kings, or extras in a feminine hygiene commercial.

That and the matching of wide strange colored belts with Hats or shoes ect.

Anyways Rose has such a beautiful swing and has for a while. Great golf by him. The pace and timing on his swing is effortless and he isn't going to snap off a pulled hook like ever with it like some of these younger players do constantly with the flatter swings and loads of lag.

My son presented me with tickets to yesterday's final for Father's Day. It was the first PGA event I have attended and had a great time. Was set up in the grandstand on the 2nd green. Had a spectacular view of Tiger's triple bogey. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!!

When Phil marched up the fairway to the green, the gallery seranaded him with Happy Birthday! He then proceded to hit an unbelievable shot from the bunker which just missed going in for an easgle. He then choked on a 7 ft birdie put. When I saw that I knew he was going to have a tough time winnning it all.

My son presented me with tickets to yesterday's final for Father's Day. It was the first PGA event I have attended and had a great time. Was set up in the grandstand on the 2nd green. Had a spectacular view of Tiger's triple bogey. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!!

When Phil marched up the fairway to the green, the gallery seranaded him with Happy Birthday! He then proceded to hit an unbelievable shot from the bunker which just missed going in for an easgle. He then choked on a 7 ft birdie put. When I saw that I knew he was going to have a tough time winnning it all.

That's an awesome fathers day present!

I love that the front page headline on ESPN is "Phil Falls Short Again" instead of, oh I don't know, ANYTHING about Rose actually winning? I really hate the media sometimes. Give Rose some freaking credit. On a brutal day out there, he shot a 70 and won his first major. Why does Lefty have to be the headline?

I am guessing it is because he is the best wedge player in the game and had critical wedge misses all across the back 9. Rose played very well and deserves the win but Phil choked.

It also probably has to do with the fact one is American and the other isn't. So it is not surprising that the coverage here in the states would lean towards the American.

The winner this week was Merion. The pampered pros don't know how to play out of a real rough.

Well, it's certainly something other than "real" when it's set up to play differently from the rest of the year. Today (Monday) all the members will go out and play it from the tips just so they can say they played the course that way, and I'll wager not one will say he'd look forward to that every day.

I am guessing it is because he is the best wedge player in the game and had critical wedge misses all across the back 9. Rose played very well and deserves the win but Phil choked.

It also probably has to do with the fact one is American and the other isn't. So it is not surprising that the coverage here in the states would lean towards the American.

What passes as a wedge these days is pretty funny because most of these guys are playing 9i that are around 40 or 41 degrees. So everything more lofted than that is a wedge? I think Phil had 5 in the bag but he is one of the few that has a 60+ (64 I think) IMO anything less than 46 degrees is not a wedge. In today's game most pro's are really doing 90% of there pitching and chipping with their SW or mid 50degree clubs. Then they have LW for specialty shots and the like. They can call the PW and GW/AW wedges but they are used more like additional irons at the end of the set 10, 11. Check out "whats in my bag" where they show the lofts and all for pro's. Some of these guys have like 31 degree 7i LOL. Its all about loft and they have drastically changed the lofts over the years which makes Joe Shmo think he hits the ball further and also need to buy more wedges. Its also why pro's all carry 3-4 wedges.

I would agree that Phil horribly miss clubbed a couple times but 16 was the worst. The reason he gets the headline is because he just finished 2nd in the US Open for the 6th time and he has a history of poor final round performances compared to how he played the first 3 round in the same opens. He gave the one at Beth Paige away no ifs ands or buts. Didn't need to hit driver there.

I read the article, and don't have a problem with the comments from any of the players, including Woods and McIlroy, I just appreciate it when they're honest. And I don't consider Johnson's comments "whining" either, because there's an element of truth in what he said. For some time now, the US Open has been something less than fun to watch because of the way the USGA sets up the course. Intense? Hell yes, but not really a lot of fun. If all PGA events were set up that way, more and more of us would watch it less and less. But congrats anyway to Rose, he certainly played well, is a dignified competitor and is certainly not undeserving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom