Update on dome renovations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Update on dome renovations

A step up from our former HS locker room but totally underwhelming compared to our competitors. We are in a facilities arms race. As long as pay is prohibited, and I am not saying that it should be allowed, colleges will use over-the-top facilities to gain a recruiting edge. How about individual amenities for each locker including USB outlets, digital player portraits, exhaust fans, shoe dryers, mirror. A floating wood floor or wall to wall carpeting with a pad underneath instead of carpet squares?

Exhaust fans in lockers? What?! I must’ve skimmed over that one the first time because I zeroed in on the shoe dryers.

You think they’re in there painting or something? Maybe a little lacquer work going on?

They go hand in hand with automated ball washers
Texas Longhorns
But the star of the show is clearly the lockers, which are unlike anything ever seen before in a locker room.

"This shows we have the very best tools in the country. The lockers affect recruiting because the kids we’re recruiting are the same ones that some of the best schools in the nation are recruiting. A scholarship is a scholarship is a scholarship, no matter where you go. It’s about how you differentiate yourself." — Coach Tom Herman

The back-lit doors are also pocket doors that can be hidden.

Each locker costs $8,700 and head coach Tom Herman wanted them to literally glow.

The lockers are stainless steel instead of wood, which allows them to have an anti-bacterial feature and reduces the stink.

Each locker has its own 37-inch television on top which is basically just the world's most expensive nameplate.

"Hook Em" tray holds the player's helmet, pads, and gloves, and slides out for easier access.

The glove hooks even have the Longhorns logo cut into them.

Underneath the helmet and pads is a custom-made Battle Gear rack with a cooling fan at the top to help dry the helmets.

Behind the pads and helmet is a ventilation system that can be adjusted depending on how sweaty and smelly each player is or how much equipment they are packing into the locker.

The lockers are made by Longhorn Lockers, a company that has also made lockers for other top programs, including Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, and Stanford.

Clemson's lockers were designed to look like thrones since they had just won the national championship.

Each Texas locker also has its own pin-pad safe.

Inside the safe is an outlet with USB ports.

The drawers are even soft-close proving that they probably thought of everything.

There is more ventilation at the base of the locker. It may still not smell great, but it will probably be the least stinky locker room in the world.

And then there is the foot locker, with even more ventilation.

Texas Longhorns
But the star of the show is clearly the lockers, which are unlike anything ever seen before in a locker room.

"This shows we have the very best tools in the country. The lockers affect recruiting because the kids we’re recruiting are the same ones that some of the best schools in the nation are recruiting. A scholarship is a scholarship is a scholarship, no matter where you go. It’s about how you differentiate yourself." — Coach Tom Herman

Each locker costs $8,700 and head coach Tom Herman wanted them to literally glow.

The lockers are stainless steel instead of wood, which allows them to have an anti-bacterial feature and reduces the stink.

Each locker has its own 37-inch television on top which is basically just the world's most expensive nameplate.

"Hook Em" tray holds the player's helmet, pads, and gloves, and slides out for easier access.

Underneath the helmet and pads is a custom-made Battle Gear rack with a cooling fan at the top to help dry the helmets.

Behind the pads and helmet is a ventilation system that can be adjusted depending on how sweaty and smelly each player is or how much equipment they are packing into the locker.

The lockers are made by Longhorn Lockers, a company that has also made lockers for other top programs, including Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, and Stanford.

Clemson's lockers were designed to look like thrones since they had just won the national championship.

The drawers are even soft-close proving that they probably thought of everything.

There is more ventilation at the base of the locker. It may still not smell great, but it will probably be the least stinky locker room in the world.

LOL, wow. That is nuts. 53-48 record this decade. Maybe if they spring for the automatic ball washers they’ll get a few more W’s?

Texas Longhorns

Well that's just stupid.

You can laugh all you want but Texas is not the only school that has gone or is going this route; Kansas, AZ, Kentucky, OR even, WSU. There are videos showing the players at these schools going nuts when they see the new facilities. It is an arms race and your laughing is simply just whistling past the graveyard. These programs make money and the facility improvements are necessary reinvestments. Fact is that we went cheap on our locker rebuild.

You can laugh all you want but Texas is not the only school that has gone or is going this route; Kansas, AZ, Kentucky, OR even, WSU. There are videos showing the players at these schools going nuts when they see the new facilities. It is an arms race and your laughing is simply just whistling past the graveyard. These programs make money and the facility improvements are necessary reinvestments. Fact is that we went cheap on our locker rebuild.

Most, if not all, of those are done through donations. You always talk about these palace dorms and locker room renovations and it's easy to talk when you don't have to figure out how to pay for it. That's why I have trouble talking you seriously in these threads.

A step up from our former HS locker room but totally underwhelming compared to our competitors. We are in a facilities arms race. As long as pay is prohibited, and I am not saying that it should be allowed, colleges will use over-the-top facilities to gain a recruiting edge. How about individual amenities for each locker including USB outlets, digital player portraits, exhaust fans, shoe dryers, mirror. A floating wood floor or wall to wall carpeting with a pad underneath instead of carpet squares?
This was discussed ad nauseum on the football side. We'll never be competitive with the football factories and football was the driving force behind the updated lockers. Most of the peer programs that have fancier locker rooms use them for both practice and game days since the facilities for both are in the same area. If any lockerrooms are going to be updated further it'll be the ones at the football practice facility. By all accounts, the Melocenter is state of the art for the basketball team. They're not going to fancy up the lesser used Dome lockers to impress the fans.

Last edited:
Wazoo's football program has been in the dumps for like forever. They spent a lot of money for new state of the art facilities and are now a top 20 program. Maybe they were lucky. Although their finances are still exposed, they have a path to success.

No one is disputing that the palatial sport dorms at Kentucky and Kansas, etc. have not been financed by the schools. There are funding options that can be explored such as non-profits for building and renting, etc. If we want to move up the food chain we might have to be creative.

Wazoo's football program has been in the dumps for like forever. They spent a lot of money for new state of the art facilities and are now a top 20 program. Maybe they were lucky. Although their finances are still exposed, they have a path to success.

No one is disputing that the palatial sport dorms at Kentucky and Kansas, etc. have not been financed by the schools. There are funding options that can be explored such as non-profits for building and renting, etc. If we want to move up the food chain we might have to be creative.
If you're looking for cause and effect, Mike Leach is much more likely than sexy lockers to be the cause of Wazoo's improvement.

Success correlates with recruiting. Is Leach better than Babers? There are videos showing the Cougars going nuts when introduced to the new facilities. Since employers cannot compete via wages they compete via facilities; anything to get a competitive edge.

The evolution of college sports is abhorrent to many but that does not change the situation on the ground.

Last edited:

Some of the high school facilities in TX rival the Dome's reno.

Most, if not all, of those are done through donations. it's easy to talk when you don't have to figure out how to pay for it. That's why I have trouble talking you seriously in these threads.

Except even if we gave every die hard fan $500M, most of us still wouldn’t pony up. I think the most generous “donor” was willing to give 5% or $25M. Quite the penny pinchers we have here. We’re not willing to do what it takes to be top-25 competitive - even if money was no obstacle.

As Nicholson once said in a parade, I‘m giving away free money! Y’all can’t complain about shlit if that’s your mindset.

Except even if we gave every die hard fan $500M, most of us still wouldn’t pony up. I think the most generous “donor” was willing to give 5% or $25M. Quite the penny pinchers we have here. We’re not willing to do what it takes to be top-25 competitive - even if money was no obstacle.

As Nicholson once said in a parade, I‘m giving away free money! Y’all can’t complain about shlit if that’s your mindset.

Trust me, that thread was an eye-opener for me as well and I have commented as such. I don't think we need meditation rooms and all that nonsense. I'm not here to tell people how to spend their money, but it's just a different mindset in other parts of the country when it comes to that. And inevitably people will complain when the Dome renovations don't meet their standards.

Trust me, that thread was an eye-opener for me as well and I have commented as such. I don't think we need meditation rooms and all that nonsense. I'm not here to tell people how to spend their money, but it's just a different mindset in other parts of the country when it comes to that. And inevitably people will complain when the Dome renovations don't meet their standards.
I hope to never see anyone who said they would pay off their student loans and maintain the same donation level complain about facilities or lack of fundraising.

So UNC is moving from bleachers to all chair-backs with arm rests; upper and lower sections (except the student section.) Will reduce capicity by 12K from 63K to 51K. Cost = 6 to 6.5 million.

UNC’s Kenan Stadium will get new seats, with chair backs, for 2018 football season

Are they able to do this without it being more uncomfortable if you are over 5'6" I'd assume your knees are going to take a beating from the seat in front of you if the bowl was designed for benches. Not the best analogy but think of how fewer seats there are in movie theaters that have been renovated to now have big comfy recliners. Thats actually a terrible analogy lol but my point stands this isn't as easy to do as it seems unless you are lucky enough to have a very steep bowl which is not how CFB stadiums are designed.

Are they able to do this without it being more uncomfortable if you are over 5'6" I'd assume your knees are going to take a beating from the seat in front of you if the bowl was designed for benches. Not the best analogy but think of how fewer seats there are in movie theaters that have been renovated to now have big comfy recliners. Thats actually a terrible analogy lol but my point stands this isn't as easy to do as it seems unless you are lucky enough to have a very steep bowl which is not how CFB stadiums are designed.

not sure good question. probably wouldn't be a lot of wiggle room in the Dome but there isn't now anyways.

Wazoo's facilities are new and it seems that they attracted better recruits despite the fact that they are in a cow town and compete against attractive schools like UW, USC and AZ. Just like us, they have been dogs forever. They now have an opportunity to break-out. They were recently ranked as high as 11th. They took a big financial gamble and the outcome is unknown.

Suppose that Babers cannot turn us around with his bevy of 3 stars competing against squads of 4 stars? Do we blame it on him and seek another coach or do we try to make ourselves more attractive to recruits? Most 4 star recruits want both a winning program and top notch facilities. Having neither, we are in a most difficult position.

Too many people assume that just by being in the ACC we will improve. Rutgers says hello. It doesn't work that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom