Update on dome renovations | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Update on dome renovations

I thought they said once the roof is on and the air can be circulated then walls can be blown out and all sorts of things can be done. isnt the AC coming after the roof is completed and that will mean changes to lots of stuff

correct

The improvements planned for the 2020 football season include the roof, scoreboard, new sound and lighting systems, improved wireless internet and improvements to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The planned improvements for 2022 include air conditioning, enhanced restrooms and new concessions spaces.

Syracuse's $118 million Carrier Dome renovations to include new roof, air conditioning

correct

The improvements planned for the 2020 football season include the roof, scoreboard, new sound and lighting systems, improved wireless internet and improvements to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The planned improvements for 2022 include air conditioning, enhanced restrooms and new concessions spaces.

Syracuse's $118 million Carrier Dome renovations to include new roof, air conditioning
It'd be nice if they could consider A/C zoning. This way the field can stay hot while the rest of us are nice and cool. Might be able to accomplish this by just pushing the cold air in near the roof. This air is heavier and will sink. By the time it reaches field level it will have modified to the point where it's unnoticeable.

Either that or install electric/radiant field heating under the field turf. Dino can control the thermostat.

correct

And funding is identified for Phase I and Phase II. Phase III at this point is a laundry list of desired enhancements. Individual seating (at least in the lower bowl), more premium seats (boxes), improved concessions, wider concourses and FULL ADA compliance. We are grandfathered in with several non-compliant features UNTIL we touch seating in the main bowl. The 2020 ADA items are a bit limited - rest rooms, elevators, etc. - but do not bring us to full compliance.

I drove past skytop for the first time a couple months ago and was quite shocked at how outdated those apartments really are. They look like something from the Cold War. I’m sure this impacts regular students that may want to attend Syracuse as well as the student athletes SU is recruiting.

I've always found Skytop to be a depressing place. I know a lot of people enjoy tailgating there, but I find it so far removed from the epicenter and energy of the SU campus and immediate surrounding areas. You might as well be tailgating in Liverpool.

And funding is identified for Phase I and Phase II. Phase III at this point is a laundry list of desired enhancements. Individual seating (at least in the lower bowl), more premium seats (boxes), improved concessions, wider concourses and FULL ADA compliance. We are grandfathered in with several non-compliant features UNTIL we touch seating in the main bowl. The 2020 ADA items are a bit limited - rest rooms, elevators, etc. - but do not bring us to full compliance.

Wow that’s encouraging that funding is identified. Unfortunately it looks like phase 3 involves some of the most common complaints about the concourses and concessions

Wow that’s encouraging that funding is identified. Unfortunately it looks like phase 3 involves some of the most common complaints about the concourses and concessions

Well, identified and realized are too different things but there is a high level of confidence in the financial plan. This administration would not have announced a thing unless there was.

Well, identified and realized are too different things but there is a high level of confidence in the financial plan. This administration would not have announced a thing unless there was.
Unfortunately when big plans are often announced, the things that are "future considerations" often never become reality. Just look at destiny. Sobering possibility that a video board may be the only tangible improvement to the fan experience. The new roof will not drive fan interest. The earlier renderings promised a lot more natural light -- we had sutomcat dreaming of seeing the skyline or valley vistas. The reality is it will look like we're playing under a circus top. Granted, it would have been fitting for the gerg years.

Unfortunately when big plans are often announced, the things that are "future considerations" often never become reality. Just look at destiny. Sobering possibility that a video board may be the only tangible improvement to the fan experience. The new roof will not drive fan interest. The earlier renderings promised a lot more natural light -- we had sutomcat dreaming of seeing the skyline or valley vistas. The reality is it will look like we're playing under a circus top. Granted, it would have been fitting for the gerg years.

I'm more a half full guy. I read it that they are going to do a few things at a time, but do them right, rather than trying to take everything in a half-assed fashion. The new lighting system will be LED state of the art. The movable scoreboard will really have the wow factor we have been looking for, the improvements to the sound system and WiFi will address two of the biggest complaints from the fan base and air conditioning makes it a true, year round facility. I don't think anyone in the current administration even considers the possibility that Phase I and Phase II will complete the project. There is an extensive menu of future enhancements and I, for one am confident that they will be addressed with quality solutions in a financially responsible manner.

I've always found Skytop to be a depressing place. I know a lot of people enjoy tailgating there, but I find it so far removed from the epicenter and energy of the SU campus and immediate surrounding areas. You might as well be tailgating in Liverpool.
would be ok if we played at Manley

I'm more a half full guy. I read it that they are going to do a few things at a time, but do them right, rather than trying to take everything in a half-assed fashion. The new lighting system will be LED state of the art. The movable scoreboard will really have the wow factor we have been looking for, the improvements to the sound system and WiFi will address two of the biggest complaints from the fan base and air conditioning makes it a true, year round facility. I don't think anyone in the current administration even considers the possibility that Phase I and Phase II will complete the project. There is an extensive menu of future enhancements and I, for one am confident that they will be addressed with quality solutions in a financially responsible manner.
I think we all want to remain hopeful that they accomplish everything on their list. It’s just that when you look at every other major construction or renovation project that is necessarily scheduled in phases over multiple years, something eventually comes along that forces plans to scale back. Changing administrations, the ever-changing political climate, etc make it hard for me to expect that we’ll see wider concourses and a glass exterior in the year 2024. Hopefully wildhack is a lifer who sees it through.

Wish they'd given the fans and students some input on Phase II. I personally think wider concourses and concession upgrades would be the biggest single improvement they could make to the fan experience. We only complain about A/C for one game a year. It can wait.

Last edited:
so with a new scoreboard do they get to pay someone who knows how to do stats and scores on it?

just watching some of the crazy dumb out of town score names so far this year? i mean they have teams like iowa abbreviated to iwa and abbreviate some names down to 5 chars but also abbreviate 4 char names? just fix the font and spell the names.. i mean Tenn is pretty obvious but Tnse? and we pay for this?

so with a new scoreboard do they get to pay someone who knows how to do stats and scores on it?

just watching some of the crazy dumb out of town score names so far this year? i mean they have teams like iowa abbreviated to iwa and abbreviate some names down to 5 chars but also abbreviate 4 char names? just fix the font and spell the names.. i mean Tenn is pretty obvious but Tnse? and we pay for this?

We do. It's a service out of Georgia I believe. Seems like someone could just log on to espn.com and key the scores in, doesn't it?

i offered to do it for Dr gross back in the day.. get the scores people would care about write a scrip to load it all for a free.

Give me gas money, a Dome dog, and a beer and I’ll do it for free.

I think we all want to remain hopeful that they accomplish everything on their list. It’s just that when you look at every other major construction or renovation project that is necessarily scheduled in phases over multiple years, something eventually comes along that forces plans to scale back. Changing administrations, the ever-changing political climate, etc make it hard for me to expect that we’ll see wider concourses and a glass exterior in the year 2024. Hopefully wildhack is a lifer who sees it through.

Wish they'd given the fans and students some input on Phase II. I personally think wider concourses and concession upgrades would be the biggest single improvement they could make to the fan experience. We only complain about A/C for one game a year. It can wait.
As someone who barely made it out alive from the Florida State game, I would say the A/C cannot wait.

I found out today that Phase I includes glass walls looking into the Dome. I believe the glass walls will be outside the current exterior walls and actually support the new roof. The Dome will be connected to Archibald gym.
Thats what I was told last week!!!! Sweet!!!!

I found out today that Phase I includes glass walls looking into the Dome. I believe the glass walls will be outside the current exterior walls and actually support the new roof. The Dome will be connected to Archibald gym.

I am almost positive those things are on their wishlist but are not part of phase 1.

I am almost positive those things are on their wishlist but are not part of phase 1.
If in fact they are support walls they would have to be in place for the roof which is the initial project.

If, in fact, the new roof will be supported by new, outer walls, would your opinion change?
Edit: (Beat me to it, kc.)

If in fact they are support walls they would have to be in place for the roof which is the initial project.

“The improvements planned for the 2020 football season include the roof, scoreboard, new sound and lighting systems, improved wireless internet and improvements to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The planned improvements for 2022 include air conditioning, enhanced restrooms and new concessions spaces”

“The most recent announcement did not include some improvements that have been mentioned when Syracuse has discussed the project and released conceptual renderings, particularly walls that would allow visitors to see inside the building from the outside and a connection to Archbold Gymnasium.”

“Sala said those are among the likely improvements the university will continue to shoot for as part of a potential second phase of renovations.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom