We are a Program In Transition. Buckle up! | Syracusefan.com

We are a Program In Transition. Buckle up!

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
So, I miss a coupla weeks on the forum and come back just in time to witness the full-blown cluster- of the "Jesse Edwards" saga.
Part of me is amused, while another is just saddened by the total lack of self-awareness by some...which was both predictable and inevitable.
This is what we feared all these years...that once JB retired we'd come back to the pack and become an "afterthought, has-been program", one destined to lose for a number of years until hopefully hitting the mark with a HC that can get us back on top.
UConn, IU, heck even UNC have gone through downturns waiting and hoping for turnarounds. And with the reality of NIL and all its implications, it makes this transition a whole lot more unpredictable.
We need calm, measured, mature insight and leadership to steer us past the looming rocks. Otherwise, everything we have known about SU basketball will change for the worst.
Gloom and doom is a Syracuse staple, both the town and the university. IMO, that'll be harder to get past than any performance on the court. There are dark days ahead, and we need a plan. I hope we have one...or we're fkcd!
For those in the know...do we have a plan, or is JW just riding this out?
How active is the NIL consortium, and are we prepared to put egos aside and welcome the Adam Weitman's of the world back to our orbit? We're in transition and the next few years will be crucial.
Are we prepared...or are we fckdt. JMHO

Last edited:
Buckle Up Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

What do you think JB ate in Slovakia?

A plan is not a panacea. In the Nil world we are asset poor. Furthermore, in the ACC we are an outlier. We still could have our moments but consistent winning is dead and gone.

Yes, we have an uphill climb in many respects, but this year's NCAA proved if you do things right you will win.

Our issue is that we have been doing things wrong for the last 5 to 10 years.

The Red era so far is neutral. Great get in JJ, big (possibly avoidable) loss in Jesse.

Judah can be the tipping point. If he goes pro I can live with that, if he portals I cant.

Far too soon to make any judgments.

Are we on the right transition path or the wrong transition path?! I'm lost!

200w.gif

For years I have voiced the opinion that most here over estimated SU's ability to attract and recruit top 25-50 talent to continue to be a consistent top 25 program much less top 10 and a NC contender. This seemed to become more evident with the the explosion of 1-n-done, that year after year SU couldn't recruit at that level. The advent of the portal was another strike in that SU (or at least JB) couldn't keep or replace the talent that was lost in the portal. Now NIL and with the school's apparently guarded approach, might be the 3rd strike. Was Coach A's promotion a signal of the school's financially conservative approach to the program? Personally, I am/was excited with having AA as the new coach but now I'm worried. Is he going to be hamstrung with a combination of lack of hc experience/name, and the school's NIL approach? The next 3 to 4 weeks may well tell the story. If he can retain or replace Judah and bring in a useful big, then next year could be an exciting turning point for the team. I'm not saying a return to the top 25 but good growth towards it. It would show not only Autry's ability to manage all the new aspects to recruiting but also some what of the school's support for NIL.

For years I have voiced the opinion that most here over estimated SU's ability to attract and recruit top 25-50 talent to continue to be a consistent top 25 program much less top 10 and a NC contender. This seemed to become more evident with the the explosion of 1-n-done, that year after year SU couldn't recruit at that level. The advent of the portal was another strike in that SU (or at least JB) couldn't keep or replace the talent that was lost in the portal. Now NIL and with the school's apparently guarded approach, might be the 3rd strike. Was Coach A's promotion a signal of the school's financially conservative approach to the program? Personally, I am/was excited with having AA as the new coach but now I'm worried. Is he going to be hamstrung with a combination of lack of hc experience/name, and the school's NIL approach? The next 3 to 4 weeks may well tell the story. If he can retain or replace Judah and bring in a useful big, then next year could be an exciting turning point for the team. I'm not saying a return to the top 25 but good growth towards it. It would show not only Autry's ability to manage all the new aspects to recruiting but also some what of the school's support for NIL.
I have to wonder how much NIL there was at UCONN for the players this year. There big national deal for Sanogo with Sunoco lasted about 2 days before he declared for the draft. I live in CT and see a few signings for Clingan and tee shirt sales but I dont see a lot of adds for MBB, I saw more for Paige Buckets before she got hurt again. They seem to do about the same stuff I see SU doing. It was enough for them to win a Natty with an embarrassment for a head coach and an athletic dept that loses a fortune every year. In my mind they have demonstrated it can be done. Any UCONN lurkers on the board know if the players are driving around Storrs in fancy sports cars and dating Victoria Secret models?

I have to wonder how much NIL there was at UCONN for the players this year. There big national deal for Sanogo with Sunoco lasted about 2 days before he declared for the draft. I live in CT and see a few signings for Clingan and tee shirt sales but I dont see a lot of adds for MBB, I saw more for Paige Buckets before she got hurt again. They seem to do about the same stuff I see SU doing. It was enough for them to win a Natty with an embarrassment for a head coach and an athletic dept that loses a fortune every year. In my mind they have demonstrated it can be done. Any UCONN lurkers on the board know if the players are driving around Storrs in fancy sports cars and dating Victoria Secret models?
NIL doesn’t seem to be an issue. The main difference I’ve seen with UConn compared to other schools is that for the most part our big donors who bankroll our NIL efforts prefer anonymity. Case in point, Hurley was in NYC the day after the championship game to court donors and the only picture or name that emerged was with a former UConn walk on who is now a banker. Hurley also has the following philosophy. If a player brings up NIL early in the recruiting process he moves on. At the same time, it is known that NIL opportunities are not going to be a problem if you go to UConn. This is why we get really good players who play hard and don’t leave for NIL reasons. Last thing is that we have fantastic player development which is worth millions down the line. Go play for Penny if you want cash now. Play for Hurley if you want cash now and way more later.

NIL doesn’t seem to be an issue. The main difference I’ve seen with UConn compared to other schools is that for the most part our big donors who bankroll our NIL efforts prefer anonymity. Case in point, Hurley was in NYC the day after the championship game to court donors and the only picture or name that emerged was with a former UConn walk on who is now a banker. Hurley also has the following philosophy. If a player brings up NIL early in the recruiting process he moves on. At the same time, it is known that NIL opportunities are not going to be a problem if you go to UConn. This is why we get really good players who play hard and don’t leave for NIL reasons. Last thing is that we have fantastic player development which is worth millions down the line. Go play for Penny if you want cash now. Play for Hurley if you want cash now and way more later.
The stars align once a decade, after years of wishing for mediocrity, and we gotta listen to these guys talk like they’ve got it all figured out. Smh, make it stop.

Yes, but how about the V.S. models?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom