Well forget about Oats | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Well forget about Oats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oats had a right to say it and sure people were thinking it but it is still unprofessional. I laughed honestly but then again I never have liked K so I'm his target audience. Personally I'm a commercial real estate broker and have had people do things I think are questionable and while I may tell someone I work with or my wife I would never call the person out in front of others. I would look like a clown. That is what Oats his. His last name might as well be Hurley.
K cheats.
The Zion Williamson lawsuit details all the impermissible benefits Zion and his allegedly got from Duke boosters.

K knows how to play the media. If K feels Duke shouldn’t play college basketball then he should cancel his entire season.
The ACC would go 14 teams for the season and every Duke game just becomes a no contest. It’s a pandemic so they can do that.

What K did was garbage and Oats is saying what he believes.

you didn’t?

if he wasn’t, Hopkins would be the current coach.
How so? It wasn't Wildhack who appointed Hopkins as coach-in-waiting. That became official in 2015 (and was unofficial for a long time before). Wildhack came to SU in 2016. Even if he did, Hopkins could still be the coach-in-waiting right now. He left on his own accord. There was never an agreement with Wildhack for JB to leave by a certain time. That was JB's own statement.

Do you really think if SU interviewed Oats and offered him the job, Boeheim could "veto" this?

How so? It wasn't Wildhack who appointed Hopkins as coach-in-waiting. That became official in 2015 (and was unofficial for a long time before). Wildhack came to SU in 2016. Even if he did, Hopkins could still be the coach-in-waiting right now. He left on his own accord. There was never an agreement with Wildhack for JB to leave by a certain time. That was JB's own statement.

Do you really think if SU interviewed Oats and offered him the job, Boeheim could "veto" this?
I do. Absolutely.

what JB wants has probably as much if not more sway then the Ad
Not even close. JB certainly has sway as an active HoF. JW has total ownership. Now is JW savvy enough to get JBs inputs on some things in the future? Probably. Would JW bounce some names off JB? Probably and that's the smart thing for an AD to do. That all said, JW is head man on the hill from an athletics standpoint.

boeheim was never going to want anyone outside the program to take over after he's gone anyway. also, he's not retiring anytime soon so i wouldnt make much of this
I dont know how I feel about this. If Nick Saban was to retire, does Nick get to pick the next coach at Alabama? Does he get to handpick Sark, or does the AD Greg Byrne go out and hire the best? Dabo, get Urban out of retirement, Matt Campbell, some NFL coach etc. Point is JB is not the AD.

If I am the AD, i tell Jim I intend to hire the best coach possible. That includes outside the program.

I do. Absolutely.
Hopefully we'll get the chance to even interview him, and hopefully he'll at least seriously consider it. I have serious doubts we'll be able to offer enough to Oats to pull him back north.

If you don’t think he’s going to have say in who his successor is then I don’t know what to tell you.
We'll agree to disagree, but hopefully we'll have an answer one way or another in < 2 years!

People can rip Oats all they want, but he gave his honest opinion. Coaches get scrutinized for giving vanilla, politically correct answers. And they get scrutinized for speaking candidly. They can’t win.

And there’s certainly some validity to Oat’s remarks. Coach K has proven the last several years he is not a good loser. In fact, he’s a complete jerk when he loses.
If wasn't only what he said, it was him trying to be cute with the way he answered it. And with a big smile on his face.

We need more of that. Not less. I appreciate when someone is willing to call a spade a spade. Because K is who he is, doesn't give him a pass not to be taken on. K brought up not having a season. He did it after he lost two home games. Everyone on this board thought the same thing Oats did.
We did.

but I just don’t think intentionally and unprovacably calling out one of the best people ever in your profession is ever an intelligent career move.

I believe JB could veto Oats even getting an interview

The Chancellor picked JBs retirement date. The only way that wasn't happening was Hop taking the Washington job. JB was never going to go down willingly. Hop did him a huge square.

I didn't know JB was the AD here and has the power to choose his successor.
here's how it will go down:
jb will announce his retirement on the eve of a new season, leaving the a.d. no choice but to name his top assistant as the interim head coach. jb will do this when he knows he has a stacked roster, and that interim coach will cruise to a 25 win season, upon which the interim tag will be removed.

and that coach will be gmac

We did.

but I just don’t think intentionally and unprovacably calling out one of the best people ever in your profession is ever an intelligent career move.
"best" in wins and losses. for sure. On the other hand, I can't remember any coach asking that his temp replacement be charged with the losses the team suffered while he was out. Who does that? For what purpose? No one other than you can possible care about your wins and losses. Seems like a very selfish act to me. And being selfish is not a good trait.

here's how it will go down:
jb will announce his retirement on the eve of a new season, leaving the a.d. no choice but to name his top assistant as the interim head coach. jb will do this when he knows he has a stacked roster, and that interim coach will cruise to a 25 win season, upon which the interim tag will be removed.

and that coach will be gmac
agree it could very likely play out that way. But disagree on it being GMac.

"best" in wins and losses. for sure. On the other hand, I can't remember any coach asking that his temp replacement be charged with the losses the team suffered while he was out. Who does that? For what purpose? No one other than you can possible care about your wins and losses. Seems like a very selfish act to me. And being selfish is not a good trait.
It doesn’t matter. You gain no advantage when you call out someone else in your profession publicly. No one asked him about it. He decided to take it upon himself in a Public forum to take a shot at coach K. I’m not saying it was an inaccurate statement, I’m saying by addressing it he looks immature.

if JB said the exact same thing and Hurley did what Oats did this site would be losing it lol

I believe JB could veto Oats even getting an interview

JB will hire the next HC. And he should not like he is retiring to Fort Lauderdale. He will be here in Syracuse courtside. Which is why regardless that Hopkins is struggling at UW he will be the next HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom