Where is Taurean...? | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Taurean...?

I think the only way to settle this is TT vs Matthew Moyer inside a steel cage with Coach Boeheim as special quest referee. Moyer would represent everything we hope for in a recruit. I'm thinking it ends with TT's mom with an outside interference and Boeheim hits her with a middle drop kick from the top rope. Then Moyer hits the GTS ala CM Punk and gets the 1 2 3.

Who cares?
I for one, do care, as do a lot of folks who follow the program. Seems kinda myopic to deny that bad publicity would have a negative affect on the SU brand. Why invite that scenario if you don't have to? We're Syracuse- we're bigger, and better, than that. JMHO

At least you told your boss. This would be like not showing up for work at all and when they reach out, you tell them "I forgot to mention that I found a new job, good luck."

giphy.gif

Hey, I started this mess but I'm all for its imminent destruction.

I know if this thread stays around I'm going to absolutely get myself in trouble arguing with Townie. I've got no time for that, so someone needs to get this thread locked out.

What's the easiest way to do this? MiniCuse and tailgating? Alsacs and tommy the terrific cheater? So many options. ...

The team should not be focused on measures that make players think twice about leaving Syracuse.. it should be to come up with measures that want players to stay.

Conceptually I think all kids should always have one free transfer, so I have a hard time playing hardball here, even thought TT did not act properly in the process.

No reason why we can't do both. Stand behind the principles of 'responsibility and decency' while also incentivizing players to stay.

Sure, one free transfer, if you conduct yourself responsibly. He didn't, so why should it be "free?"

Even though the argument is sorta along the lines of: 'he penalized us, so why shouldn't he be penalized,' it's still not equivalent to "vengeance." Simply, there has to be a consequence.

I don't think there was ever a case where a player simply left the school, did not request a release and refused to respond to calls or emails. Thompson bears some responsibility here and his actions (or inactions if you will) should have consequences.
I don't disagree in principle. I just don't think we will do it.

That may have been true, my memory of it is murky. But even if so, I don't see any difference between the two cases. Both are last minute transfers with strong (perverse) influences of other teams.
The difference was that the recruit signed an LOI early and Syracuse agreed/choose not to recruit anyone else at that position. It is a binding commitment both to the recruit and the school. Hart had a brother in California who was quite ill when he originally signed early in the recruiting season with Syracuse. He knew about his brother's condition when he signed with Syracuse. Some time later, alledgedly after recruited by UCLA, Hart wanted out of the commitment. Boeheim stood his ground and would not release Jason Hart from his commitment. Guess what, Jason Hart stayed all 4 years with Syracuse. Looking back, he could have transferred anytime after he came to Syracuse. For some reason, he never did.

The family situation is:
  • Mama wants him closer to home so she can attend practice every day
  • Mama wants him to be the focal point of the offense
  • Mama doesn't want him playing defense
  • Mama doesn't want him playing too many minutes or he'll get burned out before he reaches the NBA
Moma is co dependent

I think the only way to settle this is TT vs Matthew Moyer inside a steel cage with Coach Boeheim as special quest referee. Moyer would represent everything we hope for in a recruit. I'm thinking it ends with TT's mom with an outside interference and Boeheim hits her with a middle drop kick from the top rope. Then Moyer hits the GTS ala CM Punk and gets the 1 2 3.
"Good God...that's Moustapha Diagne's music!! What the hell's he doing here?!!!"

I know if this thread stays around I'm going to absolutely get myself in trouble arguing with Townie. ... ...

Hey, I baited him but he didn't bite. Maybe because we agreed 100% on this topic.

I for one, do care, as do a lot of folks who follow the program. Seems kinda myopic to deny that bad publicity would have a negative affect on the SU brand. Why invite that scenario if you don't have to? We're Syracuse- we're bigger, and better, than that. JMHO
My point was haters will hate no matter what. JB has to do what is best for the program.

The difference was that the recruit signed an LOI early and Syracuse agreed/choose not to recruit anyone else at that position. It is a binding commitment both to the recruit and the school. Hart had a brother in California who was quite ill when he originally signed early in the recruiting season with Syracuse. He knew about his brother's condition when he signed with Syracuse. Some time later, alledgedly after recruited by UCLA, Hart wanted out of the commitment. Boeheim stood his ground and would not release Jason Hart from his commitment. Guess what, Jason Hart stayed all 4 years with Syracuse. Looking back, he could have transferred anytime after he came to Syracuse. For some reason, he never did.
I'm glad Hart didn't transfer ... excellent player and one of the best on-ball defenders I've seen at the top of the zone.

But I'm also glad we didn't fold. The temptation (to move on) is strong, and normally I'm one to say BOL. But with Hart, and even more so with a player that's going into his second year, why should JB allow these kids to duck out at the last minute -- especially given the strong possibility of tampering by a another school. I know JH and TT are different -- one is a recruit and the other is already on the team. But that makes my point even stronger ... because in TT's case, OF COURSE we're recruiting on the assumption that he's there, and OF COURSE we're relying on him to keep his position - he's a starting player. It's the first day of classes for god sake. What is he thinking? What's his mother doing shopping offers when she and TT know that SU's counting on him ... not just JB but all his teammates and all the SU fans that make the program what it is?

Last edited:
Sure, the timing was really good ... you know, the first day of classes (???). I don't see how it could be worse except for your (even more egregious) example. Either way, it's way too late to be permitted. It's unfair to his teammates and the program. And it reeks of tampering. At some point, you have to be able to say, sorry, you waited too long and we're counting on you. If you want to leave, finish the season and no one will cry foul.

But surely you see that that's an undesirable result. We don't want bad seeds in the tent, especially if they're there against their will. That is the epitome of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

I'm glad Hart didn't transfer ... excellent player and one of the best on-ball defenders I've seen at the top of the zone.

But I'm also glad we didn't fold. The temptation (to move on) is strong, and normally I'm one to say BOL. But with Hart, and even more so with a player that's going into his second year, he shouldn't be allowed to duck out at the last minute -- especially given the strong possibility of tampering by a another school. I know TT and JH are different -- one is a recruit and the other is already on the team. But that makes my point even stronger ... because in TT's case, OF COURSE we're recruiting on the assumption that he's there, and OF COURSE we're relying on him to keep his position - he's a starting player. It's the first day of classes for god sake. What is he thinking? What's his mother doing shopping offers when she and TT know that SU's counting on him ... not just JB but all his teammates and all the SU fans that make the program what it is.
No doubt that the mother has had an influence on her son. Can not account for the credibility or integrity for either her or her son. Agree that the decision to leave the team on the start of classes shows no respect for the coach or the team in general. If the SHU opportunity came up close to a month ago, it seems that the TT duo (mother and son) could have left the school at least 2 weeks earlier.

I believe that this decision on their part has degraded TT's opportunity to go the NBA by a minimum of 1 year if not more. That said, any player can transfer from any school for any reason. The timing of this transfer really sucked. In the long run, this is just a blip on the radar of Syracuse basketball. Taurean could have come into Syracuse not in shape and played bad this season or got hurt and be unable to play. We will not know because he is gone.

But surely you see that that's an undesirable result. We don't want bad seeds in the tent, especially if they're there against their will. That is the epitome of cutting off the nose to spite the face.
As usual, you make a good point, OM. The question is, does it apply here. I agree that, given all that's gone down, there's no perfect solution. It's the best of two undesirable options .. but I think holding him to his commitment is the least damaging. We did it with Hart and he showed he had some character and stood up like a man and played ball. He wasn't the locker-room nightmare you're predicting TT will be. It probably won't be any worse than last year, and the fact is, we need his offense. His teammates, the staff and SU fans all need him to play and play well. Does that not count anymore? I mean, what if he's playing "pro ball" (lol) and doesn't like the City?

Last edited:
My point was haters will hate no matter what. JB has to do what is best for the program.
Agreed- and if there's more to this situation, then I'm sure JB has it covered. But based on what we already know, the prudent move would appear to be to cut ties and move on. Let him and mommy become someone else's headache. JMHO

Last edited:
I'm done with this kid. I'm thinking JarHeadJim needs to get to work in this thread to nuke it. Go full scorched earth buddy!
Why aren't fans allowed to vent for a few days? Even though there were rumblings about TT and some feared this could happen, it's still a huge blow and could really affect prospects for the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom