Why do I invest in this program? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Why do I invest in this program?

I have 20 years on you.

Started back in 1971 when I was 8 years old.

Saw the last three years of Coach Ben, all of Maloney, Mac, P, Goob, Marone, HCSS, and now Dino.

And I'm still here.

I've been entertained, and I've been frustrated. Some years both at the same time.

They can take my season tickets when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

To each his own...
Oh you youngster. ;)

I'm gonna stick around a while, see what happens.

This site usually helps me get over some of these loses. Don't all go bailing on me now

Actually I find reading the board after a loss to be therapeutic, it makes me realize that my big head is more level than I thought (certainly more than it used to be).

I'll never be able to quit this habit, but I'll admit that yesterday was as big a setback for me that I can recall in a long time. Only one way to fix it.

Actually I find reading the board after a loss to be therapeutic, it makes me realize that my big head is more level than I thought (certainly more than it used to be).

I'll never be able to quit this habit, but I'll admit that yesterday was as big a setback for me that I can recall in a long time. Only one way to fix it.
Booze?

frankie_says_relax_design_by_mrockz.png

Sorry 2 ways.

I could probably name half a dozen, but beating CMU handily (who won easily at Kansas) would help best.
For me, not even sure that will do it.

Maybe winning 7 out of our last 10 games will.

For me, not even sure that will do it.

Maybe winning 7 out of our last 10 games will.

Well, I'm not going to go out and clear my schedule for Bowl season, but time heals all wounds. Get a win next week, then start hoping for the steal later on. Do I think we'll get it? Not unless a bunch of people step up their game (including staff), but have to believe it can happen.

I think the most frustrating part, is realizing that we're still going to need a significant amount of time under this staff.

Anybody with any common sense should realize that we should invest in this staff. Give them their time. I just thought we were much closer than that.

Last night was a rude awakening.

Well, I'm not going to go out and clear my schedule for Bowl season, but time heals all wounds. Get a win next week, then start hoping for the steal later on. Do I think we'll get it? Not unless a bunch of people step up their game (including staff), but have to believe it can happen.

Not clearing my schedule anymore to go to games, have done that for the last 20+ years. Not going t0 spend my hard earned dollars on this program until they equal the commitment from their end.

Spent more money this year than I have in any year prior, that is all done for me. Going to watch the next few games from the comfort of my home on my 60 inch.

It seems now I understand the leaf rakers, they seem to be smarter than us. Rake leaves with no frustration and listen to the losses pile up and laugh at people who care about the program. Then go on about your merry way spending nothing.

I think the most frustrating part, is realizing that we're still going to need a significant amount of time under this staff.

Anybody with any common sense should realize that we should invest in this staff. Give them their time. I just thought we were much closer than that.

We don't need to invest in the staff. The school needs to both invest in the facilities and the staff. Until they do, this program is a lost cause.

We should have suited up some of the '87 linemen that were in the Dome, they would have done a better job than our current OL, even with gout, high blood pressure, arthritis and all.

We don't need to invest in the staff. The school needs to both invest in the facilities and the staff. Until they do, this program is a lost cause.

We should have suited up some of the '87 linemen that were in the Dome, they would have done a better job than our current OL, even with gout, high blood pressure, arthritis and all.
So you're saying new staff? Yeah, that's not the answer...

Our facilities are NOT a problem. And the school is continually investing in the infrastructure.

So you're saying new staff? Yeah, that's not the answer...

Our facilities are NOT a problem. And the school is continually investing in the infrastructure.
Facilities are a problem as long as 12 out of 14 schools in your league have better ones than you and are still spending to outdistance you.

I didn't say new staff. I said that they need to invest in BOTH the staff and the facilities. More important are the facilities.

Nobody is upgrading their facilities until they are "fine" or average. They are upgrading them to WOW recruits.

Nothing about our facilities provides the wow factor. I walk into the buildings and say to myself, "these are nice facilities" when a recruit walks in their first words shouldn't be "these are nice facilities". Their first words need to be "HOLY $*&$*#^, that was awesome! Can't wait to come here and get started!"

Clemson - Announce a new facility, gets built in 3 years.
SU - Announce Dome renovation, 3 years later we are still waiting. I am guessing we will be waiting for a while as I really, honestly think they don't care.

SU is kind of like the Marlins cashing the Yankees luxury tax checks and pocketing the money without even attempting to upgrade anything.

Laughing all the way to the bank at the fans expense.

Facilities are a problem as long as 12 out of 14 schools in your league have better ones than you and are still spending to outdistance you.

I didn't say new staff. I said that they need to invest in BOTH the staff and the facilities. More important are the facilities.

Nobody is upgrading their facilities until they are "fine" or average. They are upgrading them to WOW recruits.

Nothing about our facilities provides the wow factor. I walk into the buildings and say to myself, "these are nice facilities" when a recruit walks in their first words shouldn't be "these are nice facilities". Their first words need to be "HOLY $*&$*#^, that was awesome! Can't wait to come here and get started!"

SU - Announce Dome renovation, 3 years later we are still waiting. I am guessing we will be waiting for a while as I really, honestly think they don't care.

SU is kind of like the Marlins cashing the Yankees luxury tax checks and pocketing the money without even attempting to upgrade anything.

Clemson just won a national championship. 12 out of 14 schools do not have better facilities.

I thought SU was better as well until I saw the CC game, the talent isn't there or ready yet. I bought into the hype of Strickland, WR's and others being better before the season started. I agree with you that this HC and staff will iron this out much like Mac did during his tenure.

If this is true (not doubting you Fin) then we have a PR problem. They are putting out next to nothing to promote the idea that they are investing in or have great facilities. The little that does come out *cough*lock*cough*erroom
*cough*prac*cough*tice facili*cough*ty*cough* is underwhelming to say the least, and there is simply no attempt to bend the narrative in another direction.

If this is true (not doubting you Fin) then we have a PR problem. They are putting out next to nothing to promote the idea that they are investing in or have great facilities. The little that does come out *cough*lock*cough*erroom
*cough*prac*cough*tice facili*cough*ty*cough* is underwhelming to say the least, and there is simply no attempt to bend the narrative in another direction.
The IPF is underwhelming?

ooooooooooookay

Where do you think that 22 million the athletic department gets goes? You obviously think they are rolling in money but don't seem to understand that 22 million doesn't really go that far.
Where do you think the money comes from to pay ALL the coaches and auxiliary staff? It doesn't go to just pay the salaries for the football program.
Where do you think the money comes from to pay ALL the folks in the Athletic Department?
Where do you think the money comes from to maintain ALL the sporting facilities on campus? Not just the Dome.
Where do you think the money comes from for scholarships for EVERY student athlete on campus?
Where do you think the money comes from to travel to away games for EVERY athletic program at SU?
Where do you think the money comes from to pay OOC programs to play us at home?

Then there is the fact that the football team hasn't made a bowl game recently. That means less of money to the football program.
And as far as Clemson goes until they started winning recently they didn't have the kind of money to build those new facilities. And the money they are getting to build those is a lot of booster donations.

Where do you think that 22 million the athletic department gets goes? You obviously think they are rolling in money but don't seem to understand that 22 million doesn't really go that far.
Where do you think the money comes from to pay ALL the coaches and auxiliary staff? It doesn't go to just pay the salaries for the football program.
Where do you think the money comes from to pay ALL the folks in the Athletic Department?
Where do you think the money comes from to maintain ALL the sporting facilities on campus? Not just the Dome.
Where do you think the money comes from for scholarships for EVERY student athlete on campus?
Where do you think the money comes from to travel to away games for EVERY athletic program at SU?

Then there is the fact that the football team hasn't made a bowl game recently. That means less of money to the football program.
And as far as Clemson goes until they started winning recently they didn't have the kind of money to build those new facilities. And the money they are getting to build those is a lot of booster donations.

$22 million goes a lot farther than the $8 million that we got from the Big East. I really don't see a $14 million dollar difference in the program. Answer honestly, do you see it?

I know and understand that most of everyone else's facilities come from booster donations.

My point is that because SU doesn't have huge boosters, should they just sit around and watch as other programs get farther ahead of us? Because that is "The way we have always done it".

Clearly waiting for huge boosters to invest in the program isn't working.
Sitting around waiting for state money that may or may not be coming isn't working.
What they have done up to this point isn't working.

Definition of insanity.

Time to try something different or apply a different way of attacking the problem.

Side note, the sideline bell stinks.

Last edited:

His point is that much of the $22 MM is incremental. All the stuff that you listed was happening when we were making BE money. The extra money should translate to something on top of that.

But to be fair, most of the AD is humming, and we are upgrading football facilities. Also, turmoil at the AD position has cut into our donations.

They have been horrible my entire adult life.

I'm 34 and they won 10 games when I was 20.

Foock me

Edit. I was 18. Started my freshman year of college. Even worse
Have some patience. You are young. If I have learned anything over the years, SU football is like a roller coaster ride.

Imagine sitting in an old concrete stadium, discolored from age and with more patches to its concrete walls than old Route 66. Imagine a hall of fame coach who sadly stayed with his sixties style of coaching as the college football world past him by. Ad in the fact that we were losing and losing badly. Still I/we had hope.

Imagine trying to recruit players to play in this stadium. Still I/we had hope.

Imagine sitting in this old stadium with no roof like today. Imagine in November weather as you sat on concrete bleachers in a torrential downpour. It was like sitting in a waterfall. Still, I/we had hope.

Enter a new coach into the program with that same old stadium. He wasn't a very good coach either, but he did have ambition. The best he could do was make sure we had new uniforms. Hope, yes, even then I/we still had it.

I think you know how all this turned out. It was a long time until 1987.

It will get better. It is such a shame we live in a world of instant gratification now. I don't live like that and I refuse to. Just have patience, it will come. For the time being, go to the games and hang out with your friends at tailgate parties. When it does happen, you will be glad you took my advice.
Bill

Have some patience. You are young. If I have learned anything over the years, SU football is like a roller coaster ride.

Imagine sitting in an old concrete stadium, discolored from age and with more patches to its concrete walls than old Route 66. Imagine a hall of fame coach who sadly stayed with his sixties style of coaching as the college football world past him by. Ad in the fact that we were losing and losing badly. Still I/we had hope.

Imagine trying to recruit players to play in this stadium. Still I/we had hope.

Imagine sitting in this old stadium with no roof like today. Imagine in November weather as you sat on concrete bleachers in a torrential downpour. It was like sitting in a waterfall. Still, I/we had hope.

Enter a new coach into the program with that same old stadium. He wasn't a very good coach either, but he did have ambition. The best he could do was make sure we had new uniforms. Hope, yes, even then I/we still had it.

I think you know how all this turned out. It was a long time until 1987.

It will get better. It is such a shame we live in a world of instant gratification now. I don't live like that and I refuse to. Just have patience, it will come. For the time being, go to the games and hang out with your friends at tailgate parties. When it does happen, you will be glad you took my advice.
Bill
"Thanks for the memories". ;)

I think we can all agree that on the grand scheme of things 22 million doesn't go very far but they made it work when they made a lot less in the big east. When we joined the acc we. All assumed that extra money would get funneled down into the programs and we would see major improvements. Well we aren't. We have seen the dome go on the back burner due to funding and politics. We have seen a few nice things like an ipf that was done well on a smaller budget. We have seen weightroom additions and the dome locker rooms. The problem is we see the dome locker rooms and most of us are underwhelmed and expected more. Yes the staff is getting more funding but it's simply not enough and su needs to recognize that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom