Yes or no our next HC is on the bench now | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Yes or no our next HC is on the bench now

Is our next HC a current SU assistant?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hop will never Gonzaga the Pac-12.
Arizona and UCLA have too much to be down forever.

Hop is going to be our Roy Williams.
Roy was dominant at Kansas. He went to Final Fours and was the big dog.
He turned down UNC when Bill Guthridge retires.
He eventually came home when UNC went godfather on him.

I don’t know if Syracuse will go godfather on him but we should atleast think about it if he continues his trajectory out there.

Arizona hoops will rule that conference though.
It's not Arizona, it's Oregon along with UW that will regularly challenge for the league title. Don't know what you know about the Pac 12 but Hop's got a good chance to dominate the league. UCLA is a rebuild, Arizona's recruiting isn't what it was. But Oregon has the LA pipeline. Most of league has no chance against the top teams.

Washington doesn’t have the potential Syracuse does.
Washington will never care about hoops like Syracuse does.
They can sign the top recruits.
That fanbase cares about beating Oregon in football.
No offfense but you're not close to knowing what you're talking about.

They sold out their arena regularly during the peak of the Romar era when they had Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy.

Like most places fan interest will follow success.
You can win a NC at Washington. That isn’t the issue at all.
The program just isn’t as important as the football team on its campus and the conference they play in his 5th best in the P5 overall.

Hop may not want to come back here and that is his right. The only point I have made is the Syracuse job is better and who knows if Hop would turn down a Godfather offer.

The program just isn’t as important as the football team on its campus and the conference they play in his 5th best in the P5 overall.

Hop may not want to come back here and that is his right. The only point I have made is the Syracuse job is better and who knows if Hop would turn down a Godfather offer.

I actually think that his wife being from here is an underrated fact in favor of him returning to Syracuse.

Speaking from experience.

Oh come on. No it wouldn’t.
He makes half of that in a much higher cost area. That’s more than everyone makes except for Cal, Chris Holtmann and K. What.
It will take a long term deal and 4 million plus to have any chance at Hop.

It will take a long term deal and 4 million plus to have any chance at Hop.

Obviously it would take a long term deal, but you spit out numbers of the 3rd highest coach in America.

Bingo

Is he supposed to be mailing it in? I don’t know if he comes back - but each year there gets him further away from his east coast recruiting base and late night ESPN starts.

It’s time for this perennial National Power, to start thinking like a pro team.

JBs replacement will be coaching as a HC deep into the big tourney this year, next year and likely already has been.

and no I’m not hinting at Hop.

he is certainly welcome to apply...provided he takes his team deep though.

You don’t want to be the guy that replaces the legend.
You want to be the guy that replace the guy after the legend.

I think when JB goes Syracuse will give the job to GMac. It will be like it’s been the last 5 years and then after his chance they go Godfather for Hop.
I don’t think this Administration will go godfather after Hop when JB retires.

You realize he's already 50 years old right? I think he's the next coach here, or he won't ever be the coach here. Give JB two more years, Hop is 52. Give JB 2 more years, than give GMAC or some other clown a few years to fall on their face before installing Hop and he is now 55 or older...... At that point I think you're beginning to chase a fantasy. Just because JB coached until he was 105, doesn't mean many others will.

Why are national championships won in each league even a discussion? Doesnt the acc have more teams in the tourney every year over the pac 12 making their chances of winning one greater? I dont think anyone would argue that the ACC as a whole is a better league. Arent we talking about getting a good tournament seed and making the tournament consistently each year? If hop can start getting good tourney seeds and make the tournament every year then doesnt he have just as good of a chance at winning a NC with one school in the pac12 as he does if he was a coach of a school in the acc? I dont think his chances of tournament success are better being in the acc then the pac 12. It's about making the tournament and tournament seeding. If he continues to reel in 5 star talent and starts running the table in the pac 12 then he will start getting good seeds unlike last year. That won't be a yearly thing if he starts having success.

The difference is one upset, one bad night, in the PAC 12 costs you the seed that gives you the chance at the National Championship because the competition is generally weak. The top ACC teams can have losses and still get that seed because they have to prove themselves in 2/3 of their conference matchups because that's how deep the conference is. That's the real difference.

The difference is one upset, one bad night, in the PAC 12 costs you the seed that gives you the chance at the National Championship because the competition is generally weak. The top ACC teams can have losses and still get that seed because they have to prove themselves in 2/3 of their conference matchups because that's how deep the conference is. That's the real difference.
[/QUO]
We went to the FF as a 10.

I think a lot of this is people here don't understand what's going on there.

When we went to the ucla game that place was electric, hardcore fans along with fans who want basketball to be a power.

That little arena is not the dome but what it lacks in size its not lacking in fan support, hope and care.

The love for Hop there was awesome to see, something he didnt see from our fan base during his stretch here. He nor his wife will forget that.

He'd be nuts to leave in my opinion.
I’m sorry, you’re as wrong as wrong can be. Hop has always been beloved by longtime Syracuse fans. I’m from Syracuse and everyone in my family is a rabid Syracuse fan, and we’ve all expected Hop to be JB’s successor since the late 90s/early 2000s.

That may have been true before, but no one knows what the future will bring, especially with the city not having an NBA franchise.

I just don't see how the Syracuse job is better at this point. It's not the Big East, it's an outlier to a southern conference.

That may have been true before, but no one knows what the future will bring, especially with the city not having an NBA franchise.

I just don't see how the Syracuse job is better at this point. It's not the Big East, it's an outlier to a southern conference.
Syracuse job is better because of the Dome, Melo Center, recruiting access if actually used. It is also a basketball first school.

Washington is a good job but it’s not a better job than Syracuse.

Syracuse job is better because of the Dome, Melo Center, recruiting access if actually used. It is also a basketball first school.

Washington is a good job but it’s not a better job than Syracuse.

I'll give you the Melo Center.

The Dome is overrated. Recruiting access is a toss-up for me.

You realize they have been to the tournament a total of 17 times and been to the sweet 16 nine times and that’s as far as they’ve got. If it was such a great job maybe someone would have won there over the past 100 years. I’m sorry that’s laughable and I don’t care what anyone thinks.

You realize they have been to the tournament a total of 17 times and been to the sweet 16 nine times and that’s as far as they’ve got. If it was such a great job maybe someone would have won there over the past 100 years. I’m sorry that’s laughable and I don’t care what anyone thinks.
The numbers show the Washington job is like Virginia Tech football job.
They both have won squat but they are good jobs but not top tier.

Don’t get me wrong Hopkins is making them an annual tournament team but that job isn’t better than Syracuse.

Our basketball program has an insanely loyal and large fanbase. We aren’t Duke, Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky but our job is on par with Michigan State, Arizona, Louisville, Indiana. If all the resources are used.

Right now we are in Joe Pa coaching Penn State in 2000s phase. That program has been good since that jack wagon left.

Last edited:
I actually think that his wife being from here is an underrated fact in favor of him returning to Syracuse.

Speaking from experience.
Everyone I know who has a wife does everything she tells them to. Don't know about Hop, but he probably does too.

Recruits would rather live in Seattle than Syracuse. Syracuse has become a total non-factor in the ACC. We haven’t come close to winning a league title and has won ONE ACC tournament game. No one fears Syracuse in the ACC. When teams see Syracuse on their schedule they don’t pencil it in as an automatic loss. In football, everyone counts it as a win. The only thing we’ve gained from the ACC is tv money, but how has it helped to elevate either program? The money hasn’t resulted in wins.

The numbers show the Washington job is like Virginia Tech football job.
They both have won squat but they are good jobs but not top tier.

Don’t get me wrong Hopkins is making them an annual tournament team but that job isn’t better than Syracuse.

Our basketball program has an insanely loyal and large fanbase. We aren’t Duke, Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky but our job is on par with Michigan State, Arizona, Louisville, Indiana. If all the resources are used.

Right now we are in Joe Pa coaching Penn State in 2000s phase. That program has been good since that jack wagon left.

Even if you take the last two years it’s not a better job. We were the same exact seeds last year and two years ago UW missed the tourney. The pro UW stuff has got about as stupid as someone saying Syracuse is a better job than UNC. Give me a break.

Recruits would rather live in Seattle than Syracuse. Syracuse has become a total non-factor in the ACC. We haven’t come close to winning a league title and has won ONE ACC tournament game. No one fears Syracuse in the ACC. When teams see Syracuse on their schedule they don’t pencil it in as an automatic loss. In football, everyone counts it as a win. The only thing we’ve gained from the ACC is tv money, but how has it helped to elevate either program? The money hasn’t resulted in wins.

You’re wrong. We have still been better the past two years and every media/coaching survey says Syracuse is a top 10-15 job.

If location meant everything U Miami would be winning tons of titles and they have stunk for 75 years.

Past performance does not guarantee future success.

The UNCs and Kentucky's and Kansas and maybe now Duke teams of the world will reload and continue winning forever. They have backers and systems and facilities to guarantee that. We have the Melo Center and HC who has been sitting in his chair for 43 (or whatever the number is) years. I'm thinking Townie is correct in thinking that whatever comes after JB won't be as good as what we've had.

Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, and most certainly won't be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom