“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm sure JB stills cares about winning. i'm just not sold that he cared enuf (he certainly didn't try enuf) to bring in the level of talent who would challenge his kids for their league leading minutes and finally make us competitive in the ACC. cuz it never happened. glad he had his KODAK moments. let's pray for a miracle in the ACCT.

Cry me a river with the decline. A decline which included a Final Four run and one of the best tournament records in all of college basketball over the same time period. Most programs would kill for that decline. Some elite programs like Indiana would kill for that decline. Get over yourselves.
You must have worked for Kodak

People on this board either don't get it or are so die hard Orange they refuse to see it ... this season was always about creating a family moment and having a roster that wouldn't create the press conference headaches last years did about players and playing time.
So he traded in press conference headaches about some players’ playing time for press conference headaches where he has to answer questions about having his first losing team ever and the program’s first since 1969? Got it. Or maybe this is sarcasm?

Wow! You guys! JB cares about winning every game more than any of us. To a fault, according to some.

There's a difference between that and being attached to a personal record.
Then why did he say he didn't.

If I was a fan from somewhere else on the map, I would tend to think that fans who want the coach to go away after the first losing season in 46 years are being rather childish.

Living here I'm aware of the frustration the last eight years have produced, the disappointment of this season and the fear that the losing season is the beginning of a further slide, (although my own guy feeling is that we've bottomed out and will begin to pull out of this next year).

But the detached perspective can be valuable, too.
I tend to agree that we've probably bottomed out and will begin to pull out of this next year. But that will depend on if JB uses the portal to its full advantage. We should also remember that we likely wouldn’t have had a losing season if we hadn’t lost our starting center and two key subs (Benny and Symir) to season-ending injuries at the worst possible time in the schedule.

Jim Boeheim gets respect. He isn’t bigger than the program.
He got this season as a memory.
If results don’t matter lets just let him coach the program the rest of his life.
Disconnected enough to be curious to see how that goes...
Accept what you can't change makes life much easier.
Let JB coach the rest of his life -or until his last defender on this board lays down their sword.

And with a long-standing record now concluded, perhaps new ones will be set?

I tend to agree that we've probably bottomed out and will begin to pull out of this next year. But that will depend on if JB uses the portal to its full advantage. We should also remember that we likely wouldn’t have had a losing season if we hadn’t lost our starting center and two key subs (Benny and Symir) to season-ending injuries at the worst possible time in the schedule.
But to your last point, the season would have still been well below what our standards should be.

Disconnected enough to be curious to see how that goes...
Accept what you can't change makes life much easier.
Let JB coach the rest of his life -or until his last defender on this board lays down their sword.

And with a long-standing record now concluded, perhaps new ones will be set?
There is a portion of the fanbase that believes the HC is bigger than the program. Let’s just give up saying anything let JB have a lifetime contract. Tell fans who want things to change go away and let this HC do the job for the rest of his life.

But to your last point, the season would have still been well below what our standards should be.
I don’t expext a 24-7 every single season.

I am okay with 19-12 and 18-13 every couple of seasons.

It’s that the fanbase has a bigger portion than I realized who think JB is bigger than the program.
They talk about loyalty but leave some OBVIOUS things that I won’t say but are there to counter this.

Then defend rude behavior.
This fanbase is being put into a position where valid frustration and personal dislike get lumped together.

People on this board either don't get it or are so die hard Orange they refuse to see it ... this season was always about creating a family moment and having a roster that wouldn't create the press conference headaches last years did about players and playing time.
count me among them, then...how were we supposed to know that though??????

its obvious now...but I actually thought being competitive was always the primary goal.

and press conference headaches dont seem enough of an issue to just purposefully make a roster thats less competitive than possible for the sake of kum bay yah...

I dont think many P5 conference teams go that route, if any...maybe in the ivy league or somewhere like that...so not like that should be an obvious thing to assume for anyone.

i'm sure JB stills cares about winning. i'm just not sold that he cared enuf (he certainly didn't try enuf) to bring in the level of talent who would challenge his kids for their league leading minutes and finally make us competitive in the ACC. cuz it never happened. glad he had his KODAK moments. let's pray for a miracle in the ACCT.
how many games this year can you say he outcoached an opponent to get the win?

maybe nc state? indiana? idk...not many

and how many times did the opponent outcoach him?

how many double digit leads were blown this year?

A LOT

I dont think the issue was only talent this season.

We ran off Pasqualoni, myself included. The criticism was similar. He couldn’t find a quarterback. The option had grown stale. He was running the program into the ground. How’d that turn out? We all appreciate him now, don’t we? And Coach P doesn’t even hold a candle to JB.

This is actually the weakest part of your argument. You’re right, the criticism has been similar. Minus the aspects of how JB treats his players and is rude to them in press conferences but hasn’t said one word all year about any mistakes his kids have made.

But P wasn’t elevating the program anymore and that likely wasn’t going to change. The issue isn’t whether P should have been let go, the issue was with what happened with hires and decisions after that. Firing P didn’t put the FB program where it is today, replacing P was necessary. Decisions by the admin and not keeping up with the rest of the country in FB facilities is what helped put SU where it is today.

So he traded in press conference headaches about some players’ playing time for press conference headaches where he has to answer questions about having his first losing team ever and the program’s first since 1969? Got it. Or maybe this is sarcasm?

I don't even remember writing that, how much did I drink last night? I can't even find where I wrote it.

But either way, I don't think he ever expected this to be a losing season. I think he figured another bubble team at best and maybe they make another tourney run if they got in.

I don't even remember writing that, how much did I drink last night? I can't even find where I wrote it.

But either way, I don't think he ever expected this to be a losing season. I think he figured another bubble team at best and maybe they make another tourney run if they got in.
Buddy is on record saying their goal was to finish in the top 3 of the conference. He thought they would be good as did most media.

This thread shows the difference between rationale adults who understand there are bigger things in life than sports, and those who have a hard time separating their identity from a team’s performance. JB is a coach and a father. He can be happy to coach his sons and can be proud of what they accomplished (as a father) while also being upset with the record and disappointed with the teams overall performance. I’m not a father but I’ve talked to enough to understand that there is nothing greater than spending time with your kids, especially when they’re in college and you know it’s the last time they’ll be home. This was a bad season, no doubt about it but questioning JBs conviction because he says he really enjoyed this chance to coach his kids? That’s making a grey situation very black and white.

A LOT

superior talent carried him thru the eighties. i've never once said the old man was a great coach. i've always been in the "roll it out " school. he'll beat you if he has better players.

Last edited:
This thread shows the difference between rationale adults who understand there are bigger things in life than sports, and those who have a hard time separating their identity from a team’s performance. JB is a coach and a father. He can be happy to coach his sons and can be proud of what they accomplished (as a father) while also being upset with the record and disappointed with the teams overall performance. I’m not a father but I’ve talked to enough to understand that there is nothing greater than spending time with your kids, especially when they’re in college and you know it’s the last time they’ll be home. This was a bad season, no doubt about it but questioning JBs conviction because he says he really enjoyed this chance to coach his kids? That’s making a grey situation very black and white.
He could have had the same great experience if they played 28 and 15 minutes a night.

He could have had the same great experience if they played 28 and 15 minutes a night.
With posts like that. I want run this season back and just make next year’s freshman the bench.

JB could have Mintz supplement Joe at PG and have Joe eat into Buddy’s minutes and have what basically every team in the nation does and have an actual rotation.
Forwards would have depth.

Let’s announce a new 5 year extension for JB. Have him coach the rest of his life.

the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

Yes. There’s more important things to life than sports.

Maybe the university should stop asking me for money every 3 months If we aren’t trying to win.

This is actually the weakest part of your argument. You’re right, the criticism has been similar. Minus the aspects of how JB treats his players and is rude to them in press conferences but hasn’t said one word all year about any mistakes his kids have made.

But P wasn’t elevating the program anymore and that likely wasn’t going to change. The issue isn’t whether P should have been let go, the issue was with what happened with hires and decisions after that. Firing P didn’t put the FB program where it is today, replacing P was necessary. Decisions by the admin and not keeping up with the rest of the country in FB facilities is what helped put SU where it is today.
Yeah, you’re right. Replacing P was still necessary. It’s just weird to see people speak glowingly about him now, when a lot of the same people were probably screaming, “Off with his head!” twenty years ago.

Yeah, you’re right. Replacing P was still necessary. It’s just weird to see people speak glowingly about him now, when a lot of the same people were probably screaming, “Off with his head!” twenty years ago.
Meh. Brent Axe was leading the charge. Lots of similarities to basketball except basketball has better facilities and a better recruiting base. There’s no way we should have an 8 year streak like this.

Yes. There’s more important things to life than sports.

Maybe the university should stop asking me for money every 3 months If we aren’t trying to win.
See, another great example of an immature statement: the team isn’t trying to win because they’re not winning. That’s not how it works. JB’s statement of being proud of coaching his sons has nothing to do the team as a whole knowingly accepting mediocrity. Did you even read my post before responding?

As for the university asking for money, maybe you just… don’t donate?

So the coach says he places a higher priority on his family than wins and losses and he is selfish. Says he hates losing but having the chance to spend the year with his sons is a net positive that he truly appreciated. The bastard!

This board has officially reached the need to be flushed with a full can of air freshener. I’m done.

A LOT

We lost a ton of coin flip games and most of them were due to coaching mistakes by JB, no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom