“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bees. Open your eyes. Symir is a PG. Joe is a streak shooter.
Benny we will never know how he would have turned out if he had been handled differently. What we do know is that regardless of Joe and Jimmy's superior statistics we have a losing record. We also know we haven't won a game since Sy was injured.

Did I say something that is incorrect?

Benny played 14.5 mpg during the non conference games so he met your 10-15 requirement.
Good point. Its only an opinion but i believe Benny wasn't handled well and had he been allowed to play through mistakes he would have come into his own. As to Joe at the point i just hope that next year is different and that SY or one of the frosh can take the position.

Did I say something that is incorrect?
Technically no. And i do believe in the stats but i also believe that statistics are only part of the picture. As an example statistics are not weighed based on a point within a game.
So a turnover when your team is up 20 with a minute is valued the same as a turnover when your team is up 2 with 30 seconds left.
Same with any metrics which is why they need to be analyzed within the context of each game and specifically each situation within each game.

We wouldn't have won 10 games with that line-up.
I dont believe that. We might have won more or less games. What we do know is that the starting lineup we actually played has a losing record and has lost significant leads due more to poor play than the opponents good.

It's amazing people still think this is about one season
Cry me a river with the decline. A decline which included a Final Four run and one of the best tournament records in all of college basketball over the same time period. Most programs would kill for that decline. Some elite programs like Indiana would kill for that decline. Get over yourselves.

Cry me a river with the decline. A decline which included a Final Four run and one of the best tournament records in all of college basketball over the same time period. Most programs would kill for that decline. Some elite programs like Indiana would kill for that decline. Get over yourselves.

Most programs also don't spend +$15 million on their basketball team

You're fine with being good for one weekend in March, it's fine. Most of us would like something more

I am also disappointed in this season, but you have to give JB another season to get the program back on track before turning it over to Red (which many assume will happen). Best case scenario is they land Mintz, slide Joe to 2 & Cole/Jesse/Benny return.

Last edited by a moderator:
best season of coaching? uneal...worst season of coaching more like it. If i gave this season a coaching grade it would be maaaybe a D-...but probably just a straight F.

i get it. hes deflecting blame from his sons. wants them to know that competitive as he is...he cares more about them and spending time with them than winning...and thats admirable. i mean...hes missed a lot of time with them due to his job over the years...so yeah...im happy for him.

but strictly competitive wise... I think he botched it big time. this team was very close to having 25 wins right about now...1 or 2 more players...the right ones...and the roster used appropriately and this was a solid team.

I think if, say Pitino, had this job from day 1 this team has 25 wins right now and is looking at a solid tourney in the big dance.

I think he shoulda announced before the season that he only cares about being with his sons instead of winning...i mean I already suspected that but woulda been nice to just have it out in the open.

Most programs also don't spend +$15 million on their basketball team

You're fine with being good for one weekend in March, it's fine. Most of us would like something more
I’m fine with JB leaving on his terms.

Half the teams on this list would trade places with us:

best season of coaching? uneal...worst season of coaching more like it. If i gave this season a coaching grade it would be maaaybe a D-...but probably just a straight F.

i get it. hes deflecting blame from his sons. wants them to know that competitive as he is...he cares more about them and spending time with them than winning...and thats admirable. i mean...hes missed a lot of time with them due to his job over the years...so yeah...im happy for him.

but strictly competitive wise... I think he botched it big time. this team was very close to having 25 wins right about now...1 or 2 more players...the right ones...and the roster used appropriately and this was a solid team.

I think if, say Pitino, had this job from day 1 this team has 25 wins right now and is looking at a solid tourney in the big dance.

I think he shoulda announced before the season that he only cares about being with his sons instead of winning...i mean I already suspected that but woulda been nice to just have it out in the open.

Best year IN coaching. Not best year OF coaching.

I’m fine with JB leaving on his terms.

Amen to that.

JB is SU Basketball. He’s been on the Hill since his days as a player beginning in the fall of 1962. What’s that? 60 years ago.

We’ve won almost 1,100 games with him as head coach. Add another 76 wins from his 3 seasons as a varsity player.

Became an SU Assistant Coach in ‘72. He’s been a part of every SU final four trip being an assistant to Danforth for the first program trip and Head Coach for the others. He’s brought us our only National Championship.

Not sure there is a Carrier Dome without the high national profile that his hoops program helped to bring to SU during a lengthy down period for the football program.

The guy is a legendary coach, our legendary coach. Is he the Best Coach of all time? Of course not, but he is our greatest of all time. Is there any other major college coach who has played a greater role in his school’s program and it’s success……..I don’t think so.

If you don’t think he’s doing everything he can to help this program, and specifically this team, win games we’ll have to disagree. And frankly I like that he’s coaching his sons here. And I don’t think he’d be playing them if we had guys behind them that could put us in a better position to win because his whole career he’s been all about winning college basketball games.

Thank you JAB for the 60 years of your life that you’ve given SU!! I’m not going to run you out of town at the end. If you aren’t up to the challenge any longer I hope you’ll recognize that and step away.

Has our program been the best in the country throughout JBs 60 years on the Hill? No, but it’s usually competitive, always entertaining and it’s our SU Orangemen. And for that JB deserves our trust, patience and thanks.

Just my opinion. You of course are entitled to yours.

Last edited:
People on this board either don't get it or are so die hard Orange they refuse to see it ... this season was always about creating a family moment and having a roster that wouldn't create the press conference headaches last years did about players and playing time.

Sure competitiveness in your mind may not change. But the things you need to do to compete and win, and the ability you have to do those things, can certainly change. I don’t care how good a shape you’re in. You’re not the same.
That’s a different issue

Is all you care about the tournament?

That’s an important thing to clarify I’d think.

44cuse

With this POV. Let’s run this seaaon back.
Let’s cheer for Buddy to catch Moten.
Let let Jimmy attempt hook shots from midcourt.
Let’s change the front of the jerseys from Syracuse or Orange to Boeheimen.

What the hell. It’s his program in your mind not the universities.
It’s not like the university and fanbase hasn’t had his back.
Nope.

Jim Boeheim gets respect. He isn’t bigger than the program.
He got this season as a memory.
If results don’t matter lets just let him coach the program the rest of his life.

Puhlease.

If he earned the right, he earned the right. You don’t get to say, “Oh wait, not like that!”

He built this program. He is Syracuse basketball. And you guys can’t sacrifice one season so he can coach his sons?

A lot of you sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. The sense of entitlement is absurd. JB doesn’t deserve to go out on his terms after all he’s done, yet somehow you deserve better?

Some of you are also Boston sports fans. Between Syracuse hoops, the Patriots, the Red Sox, the Celtics, and the Bruins, that’s not enough fortune and glory? How miserable are your lives? Clearly sports aren’t the antidote.

Same goes for New York, Philly, and LA fans. All those titles and you’re still bitter? I’ve seen St. Louis teams win the Super Bowl, the Stanley Cup, and multiple World Series. My life isn’t over because SU had one losing season.

Why are you so embarrassed? Could it be because you used to pound your chest in front of friends, family, coworkers, and random people on the street? And now the chickens have come home to roost? That’s on you, dudes. Be more humble next time.

We ran off Pasqualoni, myself included. The criticism was similar. He couldn’t find a quarterback. The option had grown stale. He was running the program into the ground. How’d that turn out? We all appreciate him now, don’t we? And Coach P doesn’t even hold a candle to JB.

I thought Chancellor Shaw was a jerk when he told all of us to get a life. Now I realize he was right. And he’d be saying the same thing to all of you right now.
Maybe if JB was humble about all this and didn’t berate his players, the press, and the fans, I wouldn’t be so pissed at him. If anyone has earned the right to lose with dignity, it’s Boeheim. He chooses not to. He chooses to be rude to the press, he chooses to blame the players, he chooses to get overly defensive when fans criticize the team.

He’s lost me because his public persona has become unbearable. I spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours every year on Syracuse basketball. I’ve been a fan my entire life, and it kills me to see us lose.

JB deserves all the praise and an incredible send off for all he has accomplished, but if he doesn’t get it, it’s his fault, not ours.

If I was a fan from somewhere else on the map, I would tend to think that fans who want the coach to go away after the first losing season in 46 years are being rather childish.

Living here I'm aware of the frustration the last eight years have produced, the disappointment of this season and the fear that the losing season is the beginning of a further slide, (although my own guy feeling is that we've bottomed out and will begin to pull out of this next year).

But the detached perspective can be valuable, too.

Maybe if JB was humble about all this and didn’t berate his players, the press, and the fans, I wouldn’t be so pissed at him. If anyone has earned the right to lose with dignity, it’s Boeheim. He chooses not to. He chooses to be rude to the press, he chooses to blame the players, he chooses to get overly defensive when fans criticize the team.

He’s lost me because his public persona has become unbearable. I spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours every year on Syracuse basketball. I’ve been a fan my entire life, and it kills me to see us lose.

JB deserves all the praise and an incredible send off for all he has accomplished, but if he doesn’t get it, it’s his fault, not ours.
This 100%.
Of course Day will just he won’t change so just deal with it.

Some people consider your success rate going down by 15% something to pay attention to. Obviously you're not one of those. I'd probably not want to go in business with you.

If I was a fan from somewhere else on the map, I would tend to think that fans who want the coach to go away after the first losing season in 46 years are being rather childish.

Living here I'm aware of the frustration the last eight years have produced, the disappointment of this season and the fear that the losing season is the beginning of a further slide, (although my own guy feeling is that we've bottomed out and will begin to pull out of this next year).

But the detached perspective can be valuable, too.

Or maybe -- hear me out -- maybe the fans who want the coach to go away aren't just focused on "the first losing season in 46 years" as a micro issue, but on the macro problems associated with the program being on an extended period of substantial decline over an eight year span.

Stuff that the perspective you express above purposely ignores, since you're wearing these:

shopping

I'm tired of the polyanna-ish head in the sand avoidance of the elephant in the room. The program is not performing at an acceptable level. The dysfunction within the program is manifesting in what we're seeing play out on the court. And nothing is going to change as long as the person responsible for running the program steps away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom