2018 NBA Draft Early Entry Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2018 NBA Draft Early Entry Thread

My take is Battle probably hasn't declared yet because he's deciding on what agent to sign with. If he was going to test the waters and not sign with an agent, no reason not to already announce, right?
I think he is honestly conflicted on what to do.

Vick from KU just announced too..more and more SG's declaring

He's had some off the court issues and Self benched him this year for his effort. I'll be interested the impression he makes on the NBA teams.

Playing in the NBA is under normal conditions?

Good shooters get covered and still hit at a great clip.

He wouldn’t be responsible for 80% of the offense. I think his shot needs work, though. Cone back and put up a billion 3’s this summer. Get to 40%.

Indeed. Not to mention we are talking about a 3 in the NBA that is significantly deeper than the college men's...or women's for that matter.

His role in the NBA will be more similar to his role here his freshman year than his sophomore year. Where he shot a respectable 37%.

Of course he needs to work on his shooting but he’s not as bad as he’s portrayed by some. He shot better from 3 as a frosh than Mal did yet no one questions Mal’s shooting.

His role in the NBA will be more similar to his role here his freshman year than his sophomore year. Where he shot a respectable 37%.

Of course he needs to work on his shooting but he’s not as bad as he’s portrayed by some. He shot better from 3 as a frosh than Mal did yet no one questions Mal’s shooting.

Mal's shooting stroke was much more pure than Battle's. Malachi could hit from deep, well beyond the arc, not so much with Battle. Most of his attempts were just beyond the arc, and many times when he missed (even early in games when your reasoning doesn't carry much weight) he missed short/front iron a lot. This, in my opinion, has to do more with his technique/form. When he elevates on his J, besides his quirk/hitch at his release point, he kicks/angles his legs outward, vs. straight up and down. It's certainly an issue...and the scouts will not simply dismiss it.

I'm not trying to knock the kid but wouldn't you look at the most recent numbers as to where he is as a shooter.

I would take into account his role in the offense this year and how it effected his shooting %.

He def needs to improve his range and shooting. The %s for our big 3 were diminished by our offensive limitations. Battle was fine percentage wise when we had a competent offense.

Mal's shooting stroke was much more pure than Battle's. Malachi could hit from deep, well beyond the arc, not so much with Battle. Most of his attempts were just beyond the arc, and many times when he missed (even early in games when your reasoning doesn't carry much weight) he missed short/front iron a lot. This, in my opinion, has to do more with his technique/form. When he elevates on his J, besides his quirk/hitch at his release point, he kicks/angles his legs outward, vs. straight up and down.

Im not a shooting coach. Just going by the shooting % numbers.

Last edited:
Im not a shooting coach. Just going by the numbers.

Are you? If you were, would you be making an excuse/argument why his numbers from 3 were not impressive this year, you know, 'just by the numbers?' Especially for a 2 guard where the college 3 is relatively short, the same distance as the women's 3. The NBA clearly is a man's 3.

Are you? If you were, would you be making an excuse/argument why his numbers from 3 were not impressive, especially for a 2 guard where the college 3 is relatively short, the same distance as the women's 3. The NBA clearly is a man's 3.

As stated, he needs to work on his range

That is all I am saying. Who would you take if you were a NBA G.M. Jerome Robinson or Tyus Battle?

Love Robinson. He’s legit and I’d take him over Battle. But I’m not sure that disqualifies Battle as an NBA draft pick.

Probably a wide range for Tyus right now that includes late first. Worth revisiting after the combine and individual work outs.

love Tyus and what he's given the program but I'd take Robinson in a heartbeat over him

love Tyus and what he's given the program but I'd take Robinson in a heartbeat over him
Its close but ya slight advantage to robinson. This year's draft is loaded would probably be better for tyus to wait till next year.

As stated, he needs to work on his range
The problem with this being what he needs to work on, is that he (if he makes an NBA roster) will be a bench player who's only role would be as a 3&D guy early on in his career.

I think he'll be a good defender but his only opportunities to score will be as a 4th/5th option and those guys need to hit threes at a good clip to stay in the game.

Dion is much more explosive and dynamic than Battle and you can see how long it's taken him to find a good spot and he was a former high lotto pick. The only thing holding him back was his inconsistent shooting.

Bottom Line, you can't brush off "shooting" as just something a "shooting guard" needs to work on. It's a major issue, and with all these guys coming out this year, he may be better off with another year at Syracuse and another shot at becoming a 1st Round pick than going mid-late second round and most likely guaranteeing himself years in the G-League because the team doesn't feel they invested much in him anyway.

If he's a 1st Round pick, he should go, but he's going to need a heck of a work out to get there now that we're seeing who's declaring.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom