2018 NBA Draft Early Entry Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2018 NBA Draft Early Entry Thread

The problem with this being what he needs to work on, is that he (if he makes an NBA roster) will be a bench player who's only role would be as a 3&D guy early on in his career.

I think he'll be a good defender but his only opportunities to score will be as a 4th/5th option and those guys need to hit threes at a good clip to stay in the game.

Dion is much more explosive and dynamic than Battle and you can see how long it's taken him to find a good spot and he was a former high lotto pick. The only thing holding him back was his inconsistent shooting.

Bottom Line, you can't brush off "shooting" as just something a "shooting guard" needs to work on. It's a major issue, and with all these guys coming out this year, he may be better off with another year at Syracuse and another shot at becoming a 1st Round pick than going mid-late second round and most likely guaranteeing himself years in the G-League because the team doesn't feel they invested much in him anyway.

If he's a 1st Round pick, he should go, but he's going to need a heck of a work out to get there now that we're seeing who's declaring.

Even if he goes off at the combine, I'm not sure that'll be enough to get him in the first round, especially with such a deep draft this year. As mentioned above and in other places, his shooting technique/form, consistency, and his apparent lack of seamless NBA type range, is a significant drawback.

Even if he goes off at the combine, I'm not sure that'll be enough to get him in the first round, especially with such a deep draft this year. As mentioned above and in other places, his shooting technique/form, consistency, and his apparent lack of seamless NBA type range, is a significant drawback.

I think -- and I'm alone in the wilderness on this -- that draft position is not the end-all, be-all for these kids. If you can play, you're more than likely going to find an opportunity and at some point and you'll be ready to crush it. If you have significant holes I'm still not sold on the NBA fixing those holes and working with you on it. I'm not saying Battle or any kid *should* come back -- they should do whatever they think it the best thing to do. But I really wish more people pointed out that the G League -- even after something like 17 years -- is not a developmental league the way a baseball farm system is. If you end up there for an extended period of time, you're not likely to ever truly stick in the NBA.

This could change if the rules change and the NBA makes it a 30-team league and actually pumps some money into it. For now, though? My thought would be that a kid like Battle could spend the entire summer doing two things: shooting a bazillion jumpers a day and crushing the books. Get a degree (or pretty close to it) and try to improve range and consistency on the J and then make the move next year. But, I'm also not going to tell a kid not to pursue his dream, so in the end, I just hope it works out well for him either way.

I think -- and I'm alone in the wilderness on this -- that draft position is not the end-all, be-all for these kids. If you can play, you're more than likely going to find an opportunity and at some point and you'll be ready to crush it. If you have significant holes I'm still not sold on the NBA fixing those holes and working with you on it. I'm not saying Battle or any kid *should* come back -- they should do whatever they think it the best thing to do. But I really wish more people pointed out that the G League -- even after something like 17 years -- is not a developmental league the way a baseball farm system is. If you end up there for an extended period of time, you're not likely to ever truly stick in the NBA.

This could change if the rules change and the NBA makes it a 30-team league and actually pumps some money into it. For now, though? My thought would be that a kid like Battle could spend the entire summer doing two things: shooting a bazillion jumpers a day and crushing the books. Get a degree (or pretty close to it) and try to improve range and consistency on the J and then make the move next year. But, I'm also not going to tell a kid not to pursue his dream, so in the end, I just hope it works out well for him either way.

Also so important to get the right opportunity with the right team at the right time, and that is completely out of the players’ control.

Brogdon and Josh Hart are two recent 4 year guards who while never being real high prospects, both came into the league as ready to contribute as they could be and made the most of their rookie year opportunities.

Aaron Holliday staying in with agent. Projected late first round

Marcus Derrickson from Gtown also in with agent. Very surprising

Last edited:
So I know Tyus will likely depart and probably stay in the draft. But is there even a remote chance he stays? Like 5%?

So I know Tyus will likely depart and probably stay in the draft. But is there even a remote chance he stays? Like 5%?
I think its much greater than 5 pct some mocks don't have him near the first round. I think he's gone by would put the odds at 60 40.

Anybody know if any of the FGCU players entered?
Three guys will be going through the process for FGCU, but only one will keep his name in the draft.

Brandon Goodwin (rSR): 6'2 180 18.6 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.8 APG

Awards: 2017 ASUN Newcomer of the Year, 2018 ASUN Player of the Year, 2018 Honorable Mention All-American

Goodwin has a great first step to the rim and is relentless attacking the rim. His shooting numbers fell off quite a bit from his Jr.(51/35/79) to Sr.(47/28/75). This would probably be most due to the fact that he was now the number one focus one defending team's scouting reports. On defense he is a solid on ball defender and will take it if he sees an opportunity. He does sometimes get lost when his man doesn't have the ball and can struggle with fighting through screens due to his stature. While I don't expect him to be drafted he could really impress a team in a workout enough for them to take a flyer. I think the most likely outcome is he signs on to someone's summer league team as a UFA and hope for the best. Summer League suits his style so I'm excited to see how this summer goes for him. He has had a very long and winding path to get to where he is today and has become an extremely humble and mature young man.

*One final note Brandon will also be playing in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament this coming weekend if your are interested in checking him out. he is teamed with Thomas Welsh (UCLA), Justin Tillman (VCU), Kyle Washington, (Cincinnati), Peyton Aldridge (Davidson), Justin Bibbs (Virginia Tech), Marcus Foster (Creighton), Manu Lecomte (Baylor)

Zach Johnson (rJR): 6'2 195 16.1 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 3 APG

Awards: 2018 ASUN First Team All-Conference

Zach is one of my favorite players to ever play at FGCU. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Scoop. He is all heart, unafraid of the big moment, but at the same time makes some of the most maddening decisions on offense. He is a much improved shooter thanks to a ton of effort on his part this past summer, he finished the year with a slash of 47/39/78. He is also much improved on the defensive end where he lead the team in steals with 70. Johnson took a medical redshirt as a freshman and graduates this summer. While he has put his name in the draft he is not hiring an agent and is also looking at transferring to a P-5 school for his SR year. He has received interest from the likes of Gonzaga, Louisville, VCU, Oklahoma, Arizona, Miami(Hometown), Creighton, Dayton, Saint Louis and Xavier, but hasn't decided if he is going to leave or not. Joe Dooley left for a second round at ECU after a very successful tenure and is replaced by 34 year old Michael Fly who came to FGCU via FSU in 2011 with Andy Enfield and has made it loud and clear he loves the area and is here to build something. This is significant because Fly was the lead recruiter on 9 of the 13 current players on the roster and has had his hand in each of the players coming in next season. He and Johnson have a very tight relationship and Zach is playing his cards close to his chest so who know what happens here.

Haanif Cheatham (rJR): 6'5 195

This is the guy I know the least about, Cheatham transferred to FGCU from Marquette five games into the season. He is only entering the draft to go through the evaluation process to see where he needs to improve, and will have at least three semesters to play for FGCU. He started 63 of 69 games at Marquette and was a contributor through out his career, though it appears he was recruited over. He's from Fort Lauderdale and wanted to be closer to home so FGCU offers a nice fit. He was ranked 75th by 24/ 7 so it'll be interesting to see how he does against ASUN competition where he should thrive.

Three guys will be going through the process for FGCU, but only one will keep his name in the draft.

Brandon Goodwin (rSR): 6'2 180 18.6 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.8 APG

Awards: 2017 ASUN Newcomer of the Year, 2018 ASUN Player of the Year, 2018 Honorable Mention All-American

Goodwin has a great first step to the rim and is relentless attacking the rim. His shooting numbers fell off quite a bit from his Jr.(51/35/79) to Sr.(47/28/75). This would probably be most due to the fact that he was now the number one focus one defending team's scouting reports. On defense he is a solid on ball defender and will take it if he sees an opportunity. He does sometimes get lost when his man doesn't have the ball and can struggle with fighting through screens due to his stature. While I don't expect him to be drafted he could really impress a team in a workout enough for them to take a flyer. I think the most likely outcome is he signs on to someone's summer league team as a UFA and hope for the best. Summer League suits his style so I'm excited to see how this summer goes for him. He has had a very long and winding path to get to where he is today and has become an extremely humble and mature young man.

*One final note Brandon will also be playing in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament this coming weekend if your are interested in checking him out. he is teamed with Thomas Welsh (UCLA), Justin Tillman (VCU), Kyle Washington, (Cincinnati), Peyton Aldridge (Davidson), Justin Bibbs (Virginia Tech), Marcus Foster (Creighton), Manu Lecomte (Baylor)

Zach Johnson (rJR): 6'2 195 16.1 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 3 APG

Awards: 2018 ASUN First Team All-Conference

Zach is one of my favorite players to ever play at FGCU. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Scoop. He is all heart, unafraid of the big moment, but at the same time makes some of the most maddening decisions on offense. He is a much improved shooter thanks to a ton of effort on his part this past summer, he finished the year with a slash of 47/39/78. He is also much improved on the defensive end where he lead the team in steals with 70. Johnson took a medical redshirt as a freshman and graduates this summer. While he has put his name in the draft he is not hiring an agent and is also looking at transferring to a P-5 school for his SR year. He has received interest from the likes of Gonzaga, Louisville, VCU, Oklahoma, Arizona, Miami(Hometown), Creighton, Dayton, Saint Louis and Xavier, but hasn't decided if he is going to leave or not. Joe Dooley left for a second round at ECU after a very successful tenure and is replaced by 34 year old Michael Fly who came to FGCU via FSU in 2011 with Andy Enfield and has made it loud and clear he loves the area and is here to build something. This is significant because Fly was the lead recruiter on 9 of the 13 current players on the roster and has had his hand in each of the players coming in next season. He and Johnson have a very tight relationship and Zach is playing his cards close to his chest so who know what happens here.

Haanif Cheatham (rJR): 6'5 195

This is the guy I know the least about, Cheatham transferred to FGCU from Marquette five games into the season. He is only entering the draft to go through the evaluation process to see where he needs to improve, and will have at least three semesters to play for FGCU. He started 63 of 69 games at Marquette and was a contributor through out his career, though it appears he was recruited over. He's from Fort Lauderdale and wanted to be closer to home so FGCU offers a nice fit. He was ranked 75th by 24/ 7 so it'll be interesting to see how he does against ASUN competition where he should thrive.

Wish the first two would be fine with a transfer to the dome for a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom