Armando Bacot and Leaky Black returning to UNC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Armando Bacot and Leaky Black returning to UNC

so a custom URL and a bunch of merchandise is the NIL holy grail? There has to be more behind the scenes going on at these schools. But since you've asked, I am good for $5K of Jesse merch to help get him started, you IT guys handle the URL, and I need a guarantee on his Sr year here.

Frustrated that we can’t get ppl to stay while UNC gets two of their main guys back. This is one of the many reasons that is holding us back from being more competitive nationally and in the ACC.

75 schools are saying the same thing.

Leaky has no where to go but amazing the other guys stick around.
None of their guys were likely to be drafted (with the exception of Love sneaking into the 2nd round picture after his tournament performance).

Not that that’s stopped us from losing guys before, but this isn’t exactly Marcus Smart returning for his sophomore year or anything.

None of their guys were likely to be drafted (with the exception of Love sneaking into the 2nd round picture after his tournament performance).

Not that that’s stopped us from losing guys before, but this isn’t exactly Marcus Smart returning for his sophomore year or anything.

Figured the guards might try to capitalize...oh well...

Yep, Buddy, Battle, Hughes, Fair, arguably Jesse this year are all equivalent. I don’t get the hand wringing on this.

I don’t get the hand wringing on this.
Not so much hand wringing, I don't think. But when our team is coming off the first losing season in 46 53 seasons, hasn't been ranked in season in 8 seasons, and is an annual bubble team - at best, I get wanting to know how other successful teams get to keep their better players to stick around

... and no, of course the university isn't directly paying them. I don't think anyone is saying that UK, KU, Sean Miller or Will Wade were literally directly paying players. It's kind of implied that there's an intermediary. Like a YMCA employee in the case of SU.

Not so much hand wringing, I don't think. But when our team is coming off the first losing season in 46 53 seasons, hasn't been ranked in season in 8 seasons, and is an annual bubble team - at best, I get wanting to know how other successful teams get to keep their better players to stick around

... and no, of course the university isn't directly paying them. I don't think anyone is saying that UK, KU, Sean Miller or Will Wade were literally directly paying players. It's kind of implied that there's an intermediary. Like a YMCA employee in the case of SU.

The point is we do get players to stick around. You don’t think other teams are looking at us going “Jesse edwards is back? That’s not fair!”

I think the one to really keep an eye on that would be kinda eye-popping (though thankfully not likely to matter much to us) is Shaedon Sharpe with Kentucky. There's buzz that a few NBA teams would be willing to take him with the #1 pick in the draft even though he didn't appear in a single game for Kentucky but he's still considering returning to school for a season.

Hubert Davis. 12 yr NBA career, 5 years as an ESPN guy. Hired in 2012.. lot of returning UNC guys since then. Now he gets the reigns and takes them nearly to a NC.

My only question of him was his ability to connect with the kids. Clearly he is very good at it. Booster NIL certainly helps but a successful pro who knows everyone who matters in the league is going to be a guy that can get you where you want to go and offer the right advice. Seeing these guys return says a lot to the impact Davis has been having quietly next to Roy.

The point is we do get players to stick around. You don’t think other teams are looking at us going “Jesse edwards is back? That’s not fair!”
Yes some guys have stuck around so it's not fair to say everyone leaves. People are puzzled when guys who aren't getting drafted go esp with the nil now. You can get paid good money to play college ball.

Hes the coaches son he was never leaving lol.

Mike Davis’ son just transferred from Detroit wher he coaches.

Honestly, never mind, you never get the point anyway.

Mike Davis’ son just transferred from Detroit wher he coaches.

Honestly, never mind, you never get the point anyway.
This Is Jim Boeheim and Syracuse. Whole different ballgame. Buddy grew up his whole life rooting for this program. Don't know the situation at Detroit but I'd imagine it had to do with pt.

We were ranked a couple of years ago.

I don't think anyone can make a legit argument that we have been fortunate with guys coming back. I bet no other school fans have said Jesse Edwards is back?? I'm surprised. Where as Bacot and some of the guys that have come back for Nova have certainly surprised. I'm not also saying we have been unlucky in this debt either.

A little OT but in the same realm and as an example, our old friend QB Tyler Van Dyke, has been provided with $50,000 per year for an ambassadorship job from a UM alumni group and additionally has negotiated free use of a BMW 750 (approx. value $90,000) during his college years.

The most common scheme so far as I can tell is to set up a 501(c)(3) for a general charitable cause and then fund it through boosters/fans and those monies can be paid out to players to do community activities, events, attend fundraisers, help kids etc. As those activities are linked to other charitable causes or activities the players can be paid for their involvement.

I have yet to hear of one set up by a Syracuse Booster Club or independent fan but would be willing to contribute to the same if someone is aware. In actuality, this site could pay a stipend for interviews, appearances and the such but it may be to much of an undertaking with tax issues.

Its a brave new world and although universities are not allowed to pay the players as has been agreed, the athletic department of each university that has a booster/fan compensation fund for players will most certainly be providing that information to players and assisting them in connection with the people in charge of said payment structure. That is happening.

It will continue whether Syracuse and its boosters/fans participate or not.

A little OT but in the same realm and as an example, our old friend QB Tyler Van Dyke, has been provided with $50,000 per year for an ambassadorship job from a UM alumni group and additionally has negotiated free use of a BMW 750 (approx. value $90,000) during his college years.

The most common scheme so far as I can tell is to set up a 501(c)(3) for a general charitable cause and then fund it through boosters/fans and those monies can be paid out to players to do community activities, events, attend fundraisers, help kids etc. As those activities are linked to other charitable causes or activities the players can be paid for their involvement.

I have yet to hear of one set up by a Syracuse Booster Club or independent fan but would be willing to contribute to the same if someone is aware. In actuality, this site could pay a stipend for interviews, appearances and the such but it may be to much of an undertaking with tax issues.

Its a brave new world and although universities are not allowed to pay the players as has been agreed, the athletic department of each university that has a booster/fan compensation fund for players will most certainly be providing that information to players and assisting them in connection with the people in charge of said payment structure. That is happening.

It will continue whether Syracuse and its boosters/fans participate or not.

One thing about van dyke and his bmw. When he announced it on Twitter, he tagged Drew Rosenhaus. The NCAA allows you to have an agent for nil purposes. I’m betting he has drew and has agreed to hire Drew when he goes pro.

UNC alums are in a totally different class from SU alums as far as their involvement with the school... and this involvement includes NIL deals for student athletes. This is a link to the Alumni Center at UNC. I have been there. It is a world-class facility for entertaining and dining .. while SU does not have as much as a closet for such alumni purposes. There is no comparison between the two schools regarding alumni involvement .. and the "care and feeding" of alums.

Last edited:
UNC alums are in a totally different class from SU alums as far as their involvement with the school... and this involvement includes NIL deals for student athletes. This is a link to the Alumni Center at UNC. I have been there. It is a world-class facility for entertaining and dining .. while SU does not have as much as a closet for such alumni purposes. There is no comparison between the two schools regarding alumni involvement .. and the "care and feeding" of alums.

This - they basically start donating the week after graduation and it doesn't stop...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom