Forwards | Syracusefan.com

Forwards

two3zone

RIP Shark58
Who coaches the forwards? Whomever it is should be spoke to because this isn’t acceptable. This isn’t one game it’s all year and if it was the same coach as last year then it’s even worse. I’ve never seen a position top to bottom so bad on a team.

Who coaches the forwards? Whomever it is should be spoke to because this isn’t acceptable. This isn’t one game it’s all year and if it was the same coach as last year then it’s even worse. I’ve never seen a position top to bottom so bad on a team.
Autry and Straughn.

Autry and Straughn.
Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Red's goal for next season should be to hit the portal well enough so that Bell, Taylor and McLeod are relegated to the bench and only get spot minutes or no minutes, if they stay. Syracuse won't be the Syracuse Red wants it to be if those guys are 3/5 of the starters. Moore and Freeman are a good start, but we can't rely on freshmen like last year. We need a portal do-it-all forward and a portal Big (with size that works well to compliment Maliq, who is saving this team from being completely unwatchable).

Red's goal for next season should be to hit the portal well enough so that Bell, Taylor and McLeod are relegated to the bench and only get spot minutes or no minutes, if they stay. Syracuse won't be the Syracuse Red wants it to be if those guys are 3/5 of the starters. Moore and Freeman are a good start, but we can't rely on freshmen like last year. We need a portal do-it-all forward and a portal Big (with size that works well to compliment Maliq, who is saving this team from being completely unwatchable).
We aren’t going after a center again. Freeman and Brown are going to play together. He’s a top 30 freshman. The minutes are for him. I think the fans need to relax a bit. There’s still 19 games left for players to improve.

This is where I was torn between turning the roster over or retaining it for the most part, specifically last years Fr class. Taylor is limited against top flight competition, he's a role player if were being honest. Same w Bell because he is so one dimensional. Its year 1 of AA and he probably realizes our talent level still isnt where it needs to be or can be. AA froze at the start of the 2nd half by having the starting lineup start the half and then leave Taylor in after 2 or 3 baskets by Filipowski. Benny needed to be inserted sooner. Thought Benny was engaged on the boards and needed for the matchup. Its too bad Mcloud is soo slow, Hima has potatoe knee and Carey just must not be ready for critical minutes because Maliq needs another guy about his size to help him on the defensive end. Taylor is not it when matched up against Mitchell and Filipowski. Not his fault, he does anything thats asked of him but Red had a blind spot after pulling the right strings the last few games.

There are going to be some tough conversations after the season. We are maxed out for scholarships this year at 13 and everyone can return. I assume Mintz leaves so that opens up one. That still leaves us short for either Freeman or Moore. You can sit Taylor, Bell and McCloud, but there’s still no room at the inn. Several have to look elsewhere. We desperately needs some forwards that are not one dimensional. We have a glut of centers who can’t play. I think Red has to start there. I don’t see anyone at center who are ACC players. The freshmen is athletic, but he hasn’t shown he can play yet.

This is where I was torn between turning the roster over or retaining it for the most part, specifically last years Fr class. Taylor is limited against top flight competition, he's a role player if were being honest. Same w Bell because he is so one dimensional. Its year 1 of AA and he probably realizes our talent level still isnt where it needs to be or can be. AA froze at the start of the 2nd half by having the starting lineup start the half and then leave Taylor in after 2 or 3 baskets by Filipowski. Benny needed to be inserted sooner. Thought Benny was engaged on the boards and needed for the matchup. Its too bad Mcloud is soo slow, Hima has potatoe knee and Carey just must not be ready for critical minutes because Maliq needs another guy about his size to help him on the defensive end. Taylor is not it when matched up against Mitchell and Filipowski. Not his fault, he does anything thats asked of him but Red had a blind spot after pulling the right strings the last few games.
Yeah I am sure Red would do that differently. My assumption was he didn't want Maliq on Filipowski due to foul concerns, but one trip with Taylor trying to guard him was enough. Not fair to JT who tried but the switch to Mitchell had to happen sooner.

Maliq vs Filo was fun old school low post play. Maliq is really well schooled in using his leverage and body.

It’s amazing when you get talented players. They make you look like a better coach.

Taylor is doing what he can and is t bad defensively. He’s nothing on offense. Bell has the instincts of a brick and should consider volleyball or something.

Our roster is weird. We have a slew of off-guards. Copeland is more of a 1 than a 3. Westry, I think is a 2/3. Starling feels like he could come off the bench and be more like a Vinny “Microwave” Johnson type until taking over the lead next year.

I’d love to see a coaching upgrade over Griffin next year to recruit better/teach bigs. But I don’t think this team is way off. I like where we are headed.

Maybe not, but Red doesn’t believe that. Freeman and Brown will have to be on the court together next year. They will be two of our best players. At least Freeman is 6’10"
I trust Red, but I'm not confident. I don't want to be reliant on undersized centers and freshman - no matter where they're ranked. We haven't had an impact frosh forward since ... Lydon? (another undersized PF forced into playing center).

I'd be OK with sending all of the current centers off and bringing one 6'9" 250 lber.

It sucks that the two biggest holes on this team are at C and SG and those were two guys who went elsewhere.

We don't have a forward or guard who can shoot the 3 which is the biggest problem. Bell doesn't play like a forward he is really a two G that has height. Taylor is a tweener also more of a two. Brown has no outside game and is a power forward playing center. Benny is our best bet, but he isn't a good shooter either. Forward more than center is and will remain our issue until next season. Next season the frosh and hopefully a portal kid or two are going to have to provide some outside shooting.

We literally have 4 centers on the roster that can’t play. And two SFs that play and shouldn’t.
and it's not like you need a traditional center to win in college basketball. Houston doesn't play a guy taller than 6'8" and they have the best defense in the country by far.

starting forwards 5 rebs...3 pts. Bell had 3 turnovers in 11 minutes.
This is one time I'd like to see/hear JB throw a player under the bus.
wait - so Judah didn't turn the ball over?
I know this is the forwards thread, but Judah is abysmal with turnovers and assists.
TERRIBLE

I trust Red, but I'm not confident. I don't want to be reliant on undersized centers and freshman - no matter where they're ranked. We haven't had an impact frosh forward since ... Lydon? (another undersized PF forced into playing center).

I'd be OK with sending all of the current centers off and bringing one 6'9" 250 lber.

It sucks that the two biggest holes on this team are at C and SG and those were two guys who went elsewhere.
I have to laugh at some of our fans who
hate the SG who left so much they can’t admit he’d fix a lot of our problems.

He’s doing just fine where he is…..he wanted to play with unselfish players. Watching Clemson pass the ball around looking for each other is like night and day what we are currently doing.

We aren’t going after a center again. Freeman and Brown are going to play together. He’s a top 30 freshman. The minutes are for him. I think the fans need to relax a bit. There’s still 19 games left for players to improve.
This argument that our players will improve as the season progresses ignores the fact that the players on every other team also improve. The question is whether ours will improve more than others? Orange colored glasses wishful thinking on our part.

I have zero idea what went into the decision for him transferring, and I don't really care, but he wasn't replaced and that's the bigger problem. His defense still isn't great, but his usage % is down and his offense is waaaaay up. He's finally being used the way he should have been.

Before Jesse Edwards in 21-22, the last Center we had who wasn't an absolute liability was Rak, and he wasn't even a true Center, at least not at the start. Everything in between and after those two has been a problem. Huge kudos to Brown for being passable there while out of position.

Our track record at Center before Rak wasn't awesome, either. The best one we had we had to write papers for to keep him on the court. Are Centers really that hard to find or do we just suck at it fundamentally?

and it's not like you need a traditional center to win in college basketball. Houston doesn't play a guy taller than 6'8" and they have the best defense in the country by far.
As much as we need to unload all 4 centers, I am even more puzzled as to how we kept doubling down on that strategy.

The hilarious part about it is that he’s shooting 45% for a top 15 team playing 30 minutes a game. Yet can’t help us……….
Same! Not so much on here, but there are still some, but on FB all the comments are basically “he needed to transfer because he realized he’d be a bench warmer in this “new” Syracuse team!” It’s truly laughable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom