Geno Gone | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Fair.
So was Geno though...we can’t compare him to starters. Compare him to the scrub (yep) he’s replacing. GT didn’t deserve 5 minutes against UMD.

I was waiting for you to say something. I was worried you had the flu or something. I think this is a huge loss myself and really thought Thorpe was perfect for the 3rd guy role. I hope HW is up to the task and is able to play the top of the zone and not make mistakes and hit a few open shots. I'm just worried he is not going to be ready and will have defense lapses to the point I will pull my hair out until I have as much as you. That is not much pulling I'm willing to admit.

I also said this was a huge loss. I think Thorpe would’ve gotten better as the year went on. This is not minor at all.

Why are some people so sore that I think Howard Washington is a solid player? The staff agrees. He was not playing because JB only rotates 3 guards and Thorpe was a 5th year guy.

And my head is shaved, I’m not bald. :cool:

Last edited:
It was a tight game with no room for error and one SU had to win. Moyer rotted on the bench as well. Boeheim knew he couldn't afford to have anyone out there who was still "getting acclimated" to the program.
Great post. I can’t believe Geno and his family couldn’t see this. He would have gotten more playing time for the rest of the December schedule, including against Kansas and UConn. But as you said, Maryland was a must-win and JB couldn’t take any chances.

So was Geno though...we can’t compare him to starters. Compare him to the scrub (yep) he’s replacing. GT didn’t deserve 5 minutes against UMD.

Geno wasn’t playing well but might have down the line. HW is gonna be pushed out there. It won’t be easy but I think he will do well. This really is not good though.

I also said this was a huge loss. I think Thorpe would’ve gotten better as the year went on. This is not minor at all.

Why are some people so sore that I think Howard Washington is a solid player? The staff agrees. He was not playing because JB only rotates 3 guards and Thorpe was a 5th year guy.

And my head I shaved, I’m not bald. :cool:
I think there is this idea that you somehow can’t view the loss of Thorpe as significant while still having faith in HW. The two things aren’t mutually exclusive in my opinion. I like HW and think he is better than I was expecting during his recruitment. I’m just waiting for someone to bump his recruiting thread so I can be reminded I said the kid couldn’t dunk. I think Thorpe is solid though and would have provided good defense and an ability to score that would have really helped. He had looked bad but I think it would have gotten better over the next 4-5 games.

I think there is this idea that you somehow can’t view the loss of Thorpe as significant while still having faith in HW. The two things aren’t mutually exclusive in my opinion. I like HW and think he is better than I was expecting during his recruitment. I’m just waiting for someone to bump his recruiting thread so I can be reminded I said the kid couldn’t dunk. I think Thorpe is solid though and would have provided good defense and an ability to score that would have really helped. He had looked bad but I think it would have gotten better over the next 4-5 games.

Is the “you” in your first sentence me? I’m really tired. I assume it’s a generic “you” as in “people,” right?

And HW CAN dunk but he hasn’t yet.;)

Give Braedon Bayer a shot.

He’s now the emergency guard and probably playing a big role in scrimmages. We have 9 players (including Hughes). This blows.

Is the “you” in your first sentence me? I’m really tired. I assume it’s a generic “you” as in “people,” right?

And HW CAN dunk but he hasn’t yet.;)
Yes I meant generically that people view it that way.

Geno wasn’t playing well but might have down the line. HW is gonna be pushed out there. It won’t be easy but I think he will do well. This really is not good though.
I hope the first run he gets he is able to make a good pass or gets an open look and knocks it down. I think that will help with his energy and confidence and translate to the defense end too. I’m hoping he doesn’t get sucked down to far and not get back out to a shooter or allow penetration and a 2 on 1 for one of our centers or something. Then get the quick hook and talking to. I think he will do better than people think.

I hope the first run he gets he is able to make a good pass or gets an open look and knocks it down. I think that will help with his energy and confidence and translate to the defense end too. I’m hoping he doesn’t get sucked down to far and not get back out to a shooter or allow penetration and a 2 on 1 for one of our centers or something. Then get the quick hook and talking to. I think he will do better than people think.

Agree on everything.

Not saying that Geno should have left but, the guys 23 and trying to improve his professional stock just like Jonny G did. Obviously not all collegiate athletes go to the NBA but try to improve your game and try to show you are good enough to play at a high level (overseas or in the G League). Kind of hard to do that if youre not getting any run / shows that youre not good enough. Also the guy is like 23 years old, I would assume it was time for him to move on from college... the guy already has a degree.

He's a loss, no doubt in my mind. Quality depth is always important. After the Kansas win, I think he's gonna be like:

QLXPK5HFpzCjS.gif

We look to you, Howard Washington
Orange nation turns its hopeful eyes to you

Wu wu wu
Love it! Maybe a song will come out of this game, but only if we win. :)

Man... we are 1 injury at guard away from an ish show. scary
OK - when a player quits in mid-season and there is no opportunity to even replace him with a warm body that doesn't help.

Geno had been disappointing season to date. Was that due to a slow injury recovery, lack of effort, and/or lack of skills is a question we will never get the answer to.

Clearly, the team needs a third guard even if that player's minutes will be limited behind Ty and Frank. Clearly the opportunity is now there for Washington.

In my mind Washington is better than Geno; however, that is not to say that 5th year senior Geno would not have helped more than freshman HW this season.

I have always been high on HW, now is the time for him to step up ahead of schedule, contribute, and prove me right.

Some of these transfers, not all, are more interested in "showcasing their game" to get a pro contract than in playing within the team concept. Also, a disgruntled grad transfer is NOT what you want for team chemistry. It has been speculated that Frank's funk last year was caused by guys like Gillon (who had what? One good game?) being played ahead of him. I'm fine with Washington now being the 2nd guy. They'll be just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom