Geno Gone | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

I think Frank and Tyus would have both played 37 plus regardless Saturday. I’m not sure HW won’t be better. Maybe he can help us improve our long distance shooting when he’s in

That's certainly an optimistic view.

Under most any circumstances, I'd rather have the more experienced, proven player who's been a double figure scorer over the 160 guy who has logged about 10 career minutes in 6 games. I don't think Thorpe is as "poor" as he's played, the injury was a big setback. And I think based upon people being underwhelmed, they are discounting the void left by his departure far more than they should.

Look, if Thorpe left over PT, then his health is no longer an issue. And if his health is no longer an issue and the best he could do was one solid half of basketball, then he wasn't the player we were expecting.
I have to give credit where credit is due, especially after he liked my post: two3zone called this. Not Thorpe leaving, but Thorpe not being much of a player.

The only time this year I've wondered if Hop's presence would have helped. He had a way of good copping these situations and preventing them from getting to this point.

The only time this year I've wondered if Hop's presence would have helped. He had a way of good copping these situations and preventing them from getting to this point.
True, although Frank would probably be gone if Hop was still around. I guess that's one way to give Thorpe more PT.

obviously- injury or foul trouble for TB or FH will be quite troublesome

Gillon struggled for a while and didn’t get much playing time either . He had a pretty good second half to the season . Just don’t get it .
Exactly! This^^^ If this is about playing time, this is a stupid and selfish move on his part. Keep working and the playing time will come!

Wish we could just go to the prep store for a call up. Hello Buddy?

We lose our 5th year senior. And Duke and UNC will each have a trio of five-star freshmen decide to return for their sophomore year, I bet.

Don't think Bagley stays but I get what you mean.

In the interviews I saw when we were recruiting Geno he was such a nice stand up guy. Talked about loving his family and teammates and the need to respect people and be a good person. I’m actually shocked because I thought he had strong character and certainly would honor his commitments. If your an athlete you know you have to compete for playing time. Did he come to realize he was out of his league or have internal disputes with players. I’m baffled

That isn't really the point. I'd rather have a 5th year player who is experienced and has been a double figure scorer, capable of manning either guard spot, to spell those two guys instead of a 160 pound freshman.

And while we might be screwed long term if either of those guys go down, we're REALLY screwed if either of them go down and we don't have Thorpe. As many people have said, hopefully this blows over.
Can you unring the bell He said he’s gone

In the interviews I saw when we were recruiting Geno he was such a nice stand up guy. Talked about loving his family and teammates and the need to respect people and be a good person. I’m actually shocked because I thought he had strong character and certainly would honor his commitments. If your an athlete you know you have to compete for playing time. Did he come to realize he was out of his league or have internal disputes with players. I’m baffled

He’s going to feel BIGLY stupid if one of our two starting guards goes down with a serious injury in the nesr future.

My biggest concern with HW is defence he looks lost in the little time he has played and maybe even worse did not seem to have the effort that the rest of the team has been showing. Hoping that it is only a small sample set but this is a big dropoff on the defensive end.

Get ready for 40 minute nights for Howard and Tyus.

What do people see in Washington to think he will be able to contribute much?
What do people see in Boeheim to think HW will even get the chance?

Washington being thrown into the fire this soon will either create a diamond or burst a pipe. Hoping that it is closer to the former.

He came to SU expecting Frank from last year (an injured Frank btw) and was in for a surprise. When he got meaningful minutes, he was a serviceable guard and provided necessary depth. The fact that he couldn't wait until the end of non-conference for things to fall into place sucks, not just for the team, but for him. The last mark he leaves for scouts is that he's a quitter. John Gillon got the hook quickly when he played poorly and stuck it out.

If he's going to pout about playing time instead of sticking around and helping the team where he's needed, then I say "Bye Felicia." Take your ridiculous haircut and your bad attitude and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I wonder if the bridges are burned so badly that things are irreparable. Maybe in a few weeks after the holidays things could be worked out. If he never returns, there will most likely be a point in this season where we'll say wish we had Geno. More of a chance of saying that then saying wish we had Taurean.

What's Thorpe going to do? Did he have agents knocking at his door out of South Florida with huge overseas contracts? Seems like such a bizarre decision, unless there is truly something "personal" going on.
I suspect some grad transfers might have a lower tolerance for some of JB’s motivation techniques.

Serious question, would we be able to get a 5th year transfer for the 2nd semester?

I suspect some grad transfers might have a lower tolerance for some of JB’s motivation techniques.
So suck it up for a year and play a crapload of TV games, even if it is a few minutes a game (or. lot more if someone gets hurt). It's not like he didn't have a memorable look to him. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom