Hungry Chucks is back | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Hungry Chucks is back

As long as Varsity Pizza is still there, I'm happy.
If you think it was popping 20 years ago, you should have been there 40 years ago before drinking age went up to 21 in 1985!
Maggie's and Chuck;s were my favorite places to hang out back in those days.
A few years before that, we had Buggsy's, Hungry Charlie's, Slutters, Faegans and Varsity.
Maggie's had just opened, but that's where I first got to see John Valby. ;)

Sad to see what's happened to Faegan's menu.
Pre-Covid it was awesome. When we were there this past season's opener against Loserville, it was very disappointing. Hopefully, it will grow back over time.

As long as Varsity Pizza is still there, I'm happy.
If you think it was popping 20 years ago, you should have been there 40 years ago before drinking age went up to 21 in 1985!
Maggie's and Chuck;s were my favorite places to hang out back in those days.
The drinking age went up to 21 at the start of 1986 but the campus started enforcing it(allegedly) at the start of the 85-86 school year. I remember because I was so ticked off that the drinking age was going up right before I was going to turn 19. Thank goodness for places like Slutters where one bad fake ID took care of a whole group!

The drinking age went up to 21 at the start of 1986 but the campus started enforcing it(allegedly) at the start of the 85-86 school year. I remember because I was so ticked off that the drinking age was going up right before I was going to turn 19. Thank goodness for places like Slutters where one bad fake ID took care of a whole group!
I remember when it went up to 19. Fortunately, I was already there.
We took a bunch of our next door (Sadler) freshman friends to the Varsity for their last night of legal drinks.

I didn’t understand this, but I just saw their Instagram post touting a Go Fund Me? What in the actual $&@!?!?! It’s not a non-profit. Find investors or close. The nerve of that clown.
Uhh they are seeking $550k ?!

From what I have read (I have not been there), the new place is a hole. Why would anyone want to donate?

Didn’t the Jab have Happy Hour on Fridays from 3-5 with 2 drinks for $1? That was freakin crazy if my memory is correct, and it may not be.
I don't recall but I would not be surprised. I recall Uncle Sams having 50 cent drink nights back then.

As someone that worked there, what a chitshow it was. Believe it was Wednesday nights.
I think you are right about Wednesdays. Back then, NY had no photo driver's licenses. I would use mine and then hand it to my buddy behind me who was not yet 18 and would get in with the same license.

I think you are right about Wednesdays. Back then, NY had no photo driver's licenses. I would use mine and then hand it to my buddy behind me who was not yet 18 and would get in with the same license.

Must have been my night off. LOL. I worked front door and bouncer the summers of 76,77,78 and during winter and spring breaks. We tossed plenty of guys out for false IDs or wearing jeans on the weekend. Now the ladies….we let some slide.

Must have been my night off. LOL. I worked front door and bouncer the summers of 76,77,78 and during winter and spring breaks. We tossed plenty of guys out for false IDs or wearing jeans on the weekend. Now the ladies….we let some slide.
I was a little later. Like the summer of ‘80.

Maggie's once had free beer night...I thought Chip was lying when he called us to tell us but we went anyways. Turned out to be true
I remember (barely) on St Patrick's day in '83 they had, if I recall correctly, 5 cent drafts of green beer starting in the morning. I think it started at 8 AM and the drafts went up 5 cents an hour.
By late morning, me and my buddies were pretty buzzed. I remember tying to go to class afterward and promptly fell asleep about 5 minutes in.
Maggie's was a great place for a nice casual hang with friends.

As a creature of the mid/late 90s Syracuse bar scene, it broke down between drinking legally or illegally throughout my tenure.

Chucks: frosh year with the 18 and over rules was a game changer.

44s/Maggies/O&O/Harrys--- if drinking wasn't the main activity wink wink---: soph/junior years-lax as hell with the fake IDs. I was an asian dude for sophomore year. Got to spend the post game victory vs Miss St in 44s. I entered via the window that night. What an evening of debauchery.

Faegans/downtown/Tipp Hill senior year---started to venture out to other spots and hang at Faegans with fellow seniors. Always have a fun memory of singing with Casey Powell to thunder road a week before graduation. Got to cuse only knowing him as the guy on Day Hall who could kick butt in touch football..i wonder what happened to that guy w the funny CNY accent???

Some of my favorite nights ever were spent in those establishments. Met my wife, met my best friends, forgot my other potential wife, forgot my wallet...

Maggie's once had free beer night...I thought Chip was lying when he called us to tell us but we went anyways. Turned out to be true
I liked Maggies and thst Cosmos pizza counter there. I think slices were maybe a buck. They had specials for a pizza snd a case of OV splits. They had a side bar that was rarely staffed but we found that the taps were open. We would sit on the bar and fill pitchers behind our backs.

I still have my mug from Buggsy's Tuesday Mug Club.
I believe it would've been from 1982.

The original Buggsy's was awesome.

I liked Maggies and thst Cosmos pizza counter there. I think slices were maybe a buck. They had specials for a pizza snd a case of OV splits. They had a side bar that was rarely staffed but we found that the taps were open. We would sit on the bar and fill pitchers behind our backs.
Next to the EZ Pass, OV Splits were greatest invention of all time.