Joe Girard is ready for the season | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard is ready for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I was hoping to hear... Losing the weight will do him wonders...

Hopefully he has reclaimed some of his quickness back.

He played in the lane much more as a frosh than as a sophomore.

We are going to need him going toward the hoop, and making plays at & near the basket, at least some.

his weight was discussed in another thread, but wouldn't the S&C coaches last year have
said, "look, you're not that quick to start with, so maybe you might want to focus on that
instead of bulking up to take the abuse? and IF you're going to add some weight, don't
go overboard."? from the articles/thread I remember, his thoughts were, "I added muscle
to get quicker and take the hits", but the thread was "how do you get quicker by adding
weight?"

When was he quick?

Maybe it's relative but he moved much better both on and off the ball as a freshman than he did last year. There are more times he got past his defender or beat his man down the court in this highlight video than last year all games combined.

Note I'm not crowning the guy in any way just pointing out the obvious. He was slower and easier to defend last year without a doubt.

Maybe it's relative but he moved much better both on and off the ball as a freshman than he did last year. There are more times he got past his defender or beat his man down the court in this highlight video than last year all games combined.

Note I'm not crowning the guy in any way just pointing out the obvious. He was slower and easier to defend last year without a doubt.

Well, in his defense - he also did have Covid last year, and he's got asthma, so that surely wasn't a great combo for explosive speed and endurance.

To the others, re: adding muscle is bad for speed (??)
Have you looked at Pro sprinters? They all look like RB's. Dudes are JACKED.
How about Andre Cisco?
Guy got some large caliber guns at Walmart, and is as quick and fast as ever, even coming off injury.

i didn't say adding muscle is bad for speed or quickness; overall weight gain is. especially
20 lbs starting from 180. lose ten lbs of babyfat, add 10-15 of muscle, hey, you're even
or plus 5. that you can buy.

Well, in his defense - he also did have Covid last year, and he's got asthma, so that surely wasn't a great combo for explosive speed and endurance.

To the others, re: adding muscle is bad for speed (??)
Have you looked at Pro sprinters? They all look like RB's. Dudes are JACKED.
How about Andre Cisco?
Guy got some large caliber guns at Walmart, and is as quick and fast as ever, even coming off injury.

Yeah- Joe's claim of adding muscle weight is likely a half truth. There was bad weight added as well and it was visible.

Yeah- Joe's claim of adding muscle weight is likely a half truth. There was bad weight added as well and it was visible.

anyone that had actually paid attention instead of cracking jokes would have seen his chest, arms and shoulders were bulked up.

I don't care if he gets up to 250...
YES he had Covid and that HAD to slow him down. GIVEN!!
But we need someone at the point who has a great handle, who can drive and dish
and who can get out on the break as well as be a nuisance at the top of the zone. WE HAVE SHOOTERS.
I hope the new guy from Marquette doesn't obediently accept that his role is to be Joe's understudy
but comes in and plays with his hair on fire, change of pace to get the dome rocking.

anyone that had actually paid attention instead of cracking jokes would have seen his chest, arms and shoulders were bulked up.
And anyone watching could also see it wasn't a good weight add. No matter if it was bulk or not.

To a poster above's point - the S&C staff, IMO, has done very little. Here are a few examples:

Dolezaj - 180 lbs as a freshman, 201 lbs as a senior.
Sidibe - 205 lbs as a freshman, 218 lbs as a super senior.
Chukwu - 226 lbs as a sophomore, 228 lbs as a senior.

Those numbers are terrible, especially for 6-9, 6-10, and 7-2.

Meanwhile, Girard goes from 181 as a freshman (5-10, mind you) to 195. That's 14 lbs, more than all but Dolezaj gained in 3-5 years.

And anyone watching could also see it wasn't a good weight add. No matter if it was bulk or not.

To a poster above's point - the S&C staff, IMO, has done very little. Here are a few examples:

Meanwhile, Girard goes from 181 as a freshman (5-10, mind you) to 195. That's 14 lbs, more than all but Dolezaj gained in 3-5 years.

Right. It wasn’t muscle. We watched the games.

As someone who lifts weights regularly I will say it’s virtually impossible to quickly add muscle without adding fat and impossible to quickly lose weight without losing muscle. It’s called bulking and cutting for a reason.

If it helps him play better, that's all that matters. I don't care what the situation was last year.

As I've noted, I want JGIII to be our Kyle Lowry (pros Kyle Lowry). Kyle made a big jump once he slimmed down and had less bulk.

Good first step, let's see it on the court now.

Absolutely they were and I wasn't denying he added muscle. He also likely added unwanted weight too which comes with the territory of not being able to workout cardio/basketball wise as Joe pointed out in the article.

As someone who lifts weights regularly I will say it’s virtually impossible to quickly add muscle without adding fat and impossible to quickly lose weight without losing muscle. It’s called bulking and cutting for a reason.

This. Plus if you aren't aggressive enough on cardio it's even more noticeable

metabolism plays a role too. Triche and cooney both bulked up.

Everyone gains weight when they bulk up. It’s impossible not to. Even pro body boulders have a cutting stage before competition to lose the fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom