Just awkward watching JB's worst tendencies | Syracusefan.com

Just awkward watching JB's worst tendencies

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I mean, we won. It could be worse.

There's just stuff that makes no sense.

What does Joe do that makes him so indispensable that he can't come off the floor? I don't get it.

Why are perimeter players allowed to shoot themselves into a rhythm by taking overly deep and/or early in the possession and/or off balance shots, while we have a super efficient dude in Guerrier that can get good shots and go to the line whenever we want, and we completely ignore him on the block?

Why do we tolerate consistently poor defense at the top of the zone and treat the player that singlehandedly solves the problem like an option of last recourse?

How come it's an accident when we get a backup 5 in the game?

I know. JB has a magic slide rule. It just seems like we could make things so much easier for ourselves.

I mean Northeastern played pretty well.

Starters just aren't better than the bench and JB is sticking with the starters. Just a situation where an even rotation would clearly benefit guys like Buddy. You'd get more from him with less minutes but the coach won't do it.

Griffen should have been a 6 man from the start too. He's got game but if hes off hes gotta sit.

My only problem today was who played down the stretch. Both Griffin and Buddy were shooting like garbage. But I would have played Griffin there because he can do other things like rebound.

Girard is clearly much better (at least much more efficient) when he's not the primary handler. He should be a spot up shooter, take 6-8 threes per game, and help break presses occasionally while setting up other shooters/dunkers when he gets chased off the arc. If he's taking 15+ shots against top ACC games, it's not going to end up well.

Edit: his FT shooting also makes it very difficult to take out at the end of games when the other team is fouling. His excellent FT % is a huge advantage, obviously.

Last edited:
Girard is clearly much better (at least much more efficient) when he's not the primary handler. He should be a spot up shooter, take 6-8 threes per game, and help break presses occasionally while setting up other shooters/dunkers when he gets chased off the arc. If he's taking 15+ shots against top ACC games, it's not going to end up well.

In my eyes, he seems to be a much better shooter when spotting up, kick outs or anytime he is going forward and not off some curl or pic play where he is trying to find the rim while in mid air.

18 mins isn’t enough
I think 18-20 is fine especially if he is playing down the stretch. AG would normally play more minutes which would take minutes from Buddy or Joe. AG will not play this bad in game the rest of the year. I think Kadary will also get more minutes as the season goes on. Maybe 22 minutes or so. Joe played well today and I will give him credit for that since I criticize when he struggles. We need all 3 of them to play. Buddy really helps with spacing because he is such a good shooter.

My only problem today was who played down the stretch. Both Griffin and Buddy were shooting like garbage. But I would have played Griffin there because he can do other things like rebound.
That is fair. I would have done the same but understand the argument that Buddy would play under control better and not take bad shots when JG3 and QG were playing well down the strech.

I think JB played Buddy over Griffin at the end due to many of the same reasons Griffin only played 20mpg at Illinois. He clearly was just MIA today. It wasn’t even a bad shooting thing. He took 4 shots and looked mostly invisible.

Griffin looked totally disinterested out there today.

I think JB played Buddy over Griffin at the end due to many of the same reasons Griffin only played 20mpg at Illinois. He clearly was just MIA today. It wasn’t even a bad shooting thing. He took 4 shots and looked mostly invisible.
I also think we are asking Griffin to do some things he didn't do last year. He was basically a spot up shooter and we are asking him to attack and do other things and there will be a learning curve with patience and not forcing things. I feel like he is an emotional kid and that cuts both ways. It cut the wrong way today.

I didn't catch the whole game but the part I saw showed just about everything your talking about, feel like sitting griff was his way of showing him, which of course would never be done to buddy who can't even beat guys on eastern on half his drives

“Invisible” AG had twice as many rebounds as Buddy in 9 fewer minutes.

And missed 7 fewer shots.

Buddy didn’t earn 33 mins today.

Joe was decent today.
I thought he got a lot more boards than he was credited for, but I was only able to watch the 2nd half.
He also played some pretty good D, although a lot of their open 3’s featured him with a very late closeout attempt

“Invisible” AG had twice as many rebounds as Buddy in 9 fewer minutes.

And missed 7 fewer shots.

Buddy didn’t earn 33 mins today.

Joe was decent today.
I thought he got a lot more boards than he was credited for, but I was only able to watch the 2nd half.
He also played some pretty good D, although a lot of their open 3’s featured him with a very late closeout attempt

Yeah I’m not talking about that. He’s our most talented scorer and he didn’t even look interested in that.

Kadary was playing though. He played the entire end of the game.
Exactly. My only problem is that he didn’t go in 3 or 4 minutes earlier, but that’s hardly enough to warrant a “just another example of the fundamental flaws with JB” conversation.

i didn't see the game, had to listen to the waer feed, so i can't comment on anything directly. but this is exactly the picture painted by the kids calling the game.

Girard shot poorly but got to the line and hit his FTs. Over 1.3 points per shot is pretty good. Offensively, he did what we needed.

Defensively, there’s still a lot to be desired.

Girard shot poorly but got to the line and hit his FTs. Over a point per shot is pretty good. Offensively, he did what we needed.

Defensively, there’s still a lot to be desired.
I dunno man - he had a couple steals and at least one maybe two near steals.
and his knee helped, plus he was good in the press

Why isn’t Boeheim using him like a 6th man? (Dion, etc)

He didn’t come here to be a 6th man. I know what the player wants doesn’t matter a whole lot, but in the context of getting other talented transfers to come here, it does.

I like our chances against the big boys with him at F instead of Marek.

he looked spaced out to me...like his pet hamster just died or something...similar to how he looked during the rutgers game...maybe he gets anxious or something idk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom