Least Disliked Sports Superstar? | Syracusefan.com

Least Disliked Sports Superstar?

PoppyHart

All American
As opposed to most likeable, which could be another topic.

I have to think Federer is near the top.

Go.

I think you worded this weirdly. In terms of an athlete that seems to have appeal to everyone, it's hard to argue with Peyton Manning right now.

It has to be Derek Jeter.

It has to be Derek Jeter.
No way in hell. You really think most Sox fans like him?

Does the guy still have to be playing? Because if not, then Ken Griffey Jr would have to be near the top of the list. Calvin Johnson is up there, too. I'd say Larry Fitzgerald, as long as we're talking about football players. Being awesome at what you do and not getting into any trouble or pretty much avoiding the press altogether leads to being universally beloved.

Does the guy still have to be playing? Because if not, then Ken Griffey Jr would have to be near the top of the list. Calvin Johnson is up there, too. I'd say Larry Fitzgerald, as long as we're talking about football players. Being awesome at what you do and not getting into any trouble or pretty much avoiding the press altogether leads to being universally beloved.

You know, it also probably helps if your team isn't too good, so you don't get resented for your success. Calvin is a good one. I think Bill Simmons wrote an article about Calvin a few months ago and said he had the highest approval rating or something among current athletes, which is basically what this thread is about.

Maybe Tim Duncan?

You know, it also probably helps if your team isn't too good, so you don't get resented for your success. Calvin is a good one. I think Bill Simmons wrote an article about Calvin a few months ago and said he had the highest approval rating or something among current athletes, which is basically what this thread is about.

Maybe Tim Duncan?

I think Duncan is a good call.

May be way off, but I'd also go with Jimmy Johnson and Sidney Crosby

I agree that Sawx fans don't like Jeter, but I think they respect what he's accomplished. There was a SNL sketch once when Jeter was guest host and the cast member on with him was a Sawx fan who yelled derogatory things at him and eneded the sketch by saying "Would you come play for us?"

Peyton Manning.

If anyone has watched the 30/30 on his family... how can you hate him

Agree he is well liked; but he might be one or 2 more title less seasns away from getting the "can't win the big one" label

And then we he wins one in five years, said labelers will move on to the next guy who "can't win it" rather than admit they were stupid. :)

Peyton Manning.

If anyone has watched the 30/30 on his family... how can you hate him

Well he did seem like an enormous crybaby as a kid...
But ya he's hard not to like. I get the feeling 80+% of the prima donnas in the league couldn't tell you who won SB II (my God Tannehill didn't know the divisions in Hard Knocks). I respect guys who have some grasp of history & watched at least half as much NFL Films as I did as a kid. Don't understand how you don't if you like football.

Ya Megatron is a great one too.

I know Boston fans think they're the center of the universe, but I would say Jeter is as "least hated" as a Yankee gets; though I personally think his career is overrated.

I know Boston fans think they're the center of the universe, but I would say Jeter is as "least hated" as a Yankee gets; though I personally think his career is overrated.

I'm a Dodger fan. Don't underestimate the national dislike for all Yankees for being, well, Yankees.

Hmm, Peyton takes flak for overexposure/commercials. I really like the Durant suggestion. Russel Wilson has potential to get there.

Lol. Spoken like a Yankee fan.

All time? Gretzky.

Current? Hard to argue against Peyton.

I am a red sox/blue jays fan.

So no.

I think Duncan is a good call.

May be way off, but I'd also go with Jimmy Johnson and Sidney Crosby

Crosby? I know tons of people that hate him.

If we're going NHL, I'd go with Martin St. Louis - who doesn't love that little dude?

Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson were good choices that were already mentioned.

I think Drew Brees may be more liked than Peyton - probably close though.

Craig Biggio in baseball - retired, but figured I would throw him out there.

Mariano. I guess he's an ex-superstar now.
Mariano is a fantastic example. He has to be at or near the top of the list. Best at his position, ever, always handled himself with tremendous class. Just look at the way self professed Yankee haters like Bill Simmons talk about him. There's real reverence there.

The General said:
I'm a Dodger fan. Don't underestimate the national dislike for all Yankees for being, well, Yankees.
Yeah Jeter is not the answer. Most non-Yankee fans do not like him.

Manning a sure bet.

Ripken?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom