Lets all get on the same page about what's happening | Syracusefan.com

Lets all get on the same page about what's happening

General20

Basketball Maven
I've heard a lot of crazy ideas and read a lot of crazy posts about what is happening in college basketball right now so I thought it might be productive to explain the shady side of recruiting so that we can have an intellectual discussion about it and all be on the same page.

I am far from any kind of authority on this issue, but I've spoken with enough people and paid close enough attention to connect a few dots. So I'll give my understanding of what's going on and I encourage people to add to/correct what I've said in the hopes that we can all come to a working understanding of the ways things are in college basketball.

Here is how I understand things:

#1) Basically every college basketball player is getting paid, and it has been this way since long before any of us were born.

As an explanation, I'm sure there are some players who don't get paid anything, but its widespread enough so that we can say everybody gets paid as a generality and be correct. Its not just Duke and Kentucky players. Its not just five star recruits. Even the worst player off the bench on the worst team is getting something and it has pretty much always been this way.

How do I know? I know guys who were not great players and who played at non high major schools that got paid. I also know a guy who played for a non high major school in the 60's and got paid way back then. So this is happening everywhere, and has been happening for a LONG time . . . when I say long I mean a century or more - you don't remember a more innocent time when amateurs were really amateurs. It hasn't been that way in our lifetimes.

#2) Paying athletes does NOT mean a coach or booster giving a kid money to bribe him to choose their school. The reality is more complex than that.

As an explanation, I'm sure sometimes kids get money from a school as incentive to sign for them, but that is far from standard operating procedure. Its just not how the game is played.

How do I know? The boosters I know pay money to buy shiny new things to attract recruits. They don't buy the recruits themselves.

#3) Most of the time kids are getting money from agents and shoe companies who are going to profit from the kid's success later in life.

As an explanation, being an agent is a pretty sweet job if you can get it, but to be an agent you have to get players to sign with you, and the easiest way to do that is to give them money when they are young and need money. As for the shoe companies. They look at giving school kids money as a cheap investment. If you can get a high school kid in with your brand for 50K that's a lot better than waiting until he's a superstar and having to sign him for 50 Million.

How do I know? Read any article about the FBI investigation or talk to anybody affiliated with AAU.

#4) Not all schools cheat the same. Some are way worse than others.

There are schools like Louisville and Miami that give high schoolers drugs and prostitutes to entice them. Duke and other schools often help out the kids parents with jobs, houses, money etc. And there are plenty of smaller but still impermissible forms of cheating, I'm sure you can think of a bunch, and I won't get into them all here. Lets call these types of cheating the "obvious" types of cheating.

The important distinction for this discussion is a lot less obvious, and requires some explanation.

In short, some coaches let kids get paid by agents and shoe companies, and other coaches actively participate in the process.

When a coach actively participates in the process it looks like this: A shoe company or agent wants to sign a promising young player, they offer the player money but so does a competing agent or shoe company. How to get him on your side? Get the coach (who has a lot of influence over the player) to coerce him into choosing your company over your competitor. So the agent or shoe company pays some money to the coach who is essentially selling this kid to their business whether its good for the kid or not. In time, relationships form and agents/shoe companies suggest a kid choose a school with a coach who is already in their pocket to ensure the kid follows through with them once they give him money. It works both ways, both parties benefit, and the kid is happy making money.

This is the type of thing that four coaches have been arrested for so far.

I think that Syracuse is the kind of school that lets kids get paid by agents and NOT the kid of school that actively participates in the process. So those people saying "thank god Syracuse never pays its players" are missing the point. Syracuse players are still getting paid, its just that Syracuse coaches are not exploiting them or particularly benefiting from the fact that they get paid.

Right now it seems like the FBI is going after coaches who are taking money from shoe companies/agents to push the players in their direction, so I also think people worried that the FBI will come banging on Syracuse's door are probably worried for nothing.

The real worry, to me, is that lists of players who accepted money are going to come out, and some SU player will be on that list. The average non-die hard sports fan will not have a good enough understanding to differentiate between the teams who cheat in a way that gives them an unfair advantage like Duke and Kentucky, and the teams who just tassetly allow cheating to happen, like Syracuse.

Of course, if Syracuse goes down in this thing, so will most other schools.

How do I know that Syracuse is not actively working with agents/shoe companies?

First, Boeheim has talked publicly about not wanting certain kids to go pro when its bad for them, and spoken badly about "handlers" and "people giving his kids bad advice" a coach who was in on the action probably would not speak this way.

Second, I know for a fact that Boeheim was giving Hopkins endorsement money that most head coaches normally keep for themselves. I think he's doing the same for his other assistants. My guess is this is an incentive to compensate them for the lost revenue of not playing ball with any agents or shoe companies.

So what will the future hold? Well, I don't have an educated guess about that. Just a guess.

My guess is a few of the really bad violators (Pitino being the obvious example) lose their jobs before the dust settles. After the dust settles a lot of schools end up looking bad, and the NCAA ends up looking incompetent. Probably most schools escape individual punishment but different more stringent rules are adopted overall.

Perhaps schools end up being allowed to pay players? I would like that, especially if it means the high major schools split from the rest and finally play by their own rules and only play against each other.

Great post. The only place where I'd disagree is that I don't think the schools should directly pay the players. Just don't restrict the players from benefitting from their own identity.

But then some rich booster or sneaker company can just pay the next great player 100k to go to their school. REAL FAIR!!! No thanks!!!

Such a tangled web in the current set up. You've got schools, agents, and sneaker companies all wanting a piece of the kid. AAU coaches looking to steer kids, agents stepping in early to try to influence a kid's choice of agents down the road, with somehow sneaker companies stepping in throughout the whole time. Sneaker companies in major deals with schools, coaches, and the travel programs where the kids start playing. Major money at stake with each step, but if a dime goes to the wrong person at the wrong time it is a major problem. Not to mention way more high schoolers are getting advice that they are 12 months away from striking it rich then there really are, with advice from these groups and their own crowds.

Great post and I can corroborate almost everything that you say in it, based various conversations I've had with some journalists, recruiting gurus and two different NBA scouts I met during my time running OrangeNation.net.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that EVERY recruit/player is getting paid, but this notion that only the McDonald's all-americans are getting paid is completely ludicrous.

The different levels of cheating is 100% true and is very interesting from a philosophical standpoint. It seems that each coach has his own personal line that he won't cross and it's different from school to school. Some coaches know the cheating is occurring and that their players are getting paid, but are fine with allowing as long as they are sufficiently removed enough to have 'plausible deniability'. Some actively participate in it, to one degree or another.

I only really had one issue with your excellent post, and it is in the quote here:

"First, Boeheim has talked publicly about not wanting certain kids to go pro when its bad for them, and spoken badly about "handlers" and "people giving his kids bad advice" a coach who was in on the action probably would not speak this way."

On the surface this seems to be the case, but this could also just be JB being super savvy and using the media for misdirection. Or it could be just as it seems taking the words at face value.

The more compelling argument to me is Boeheim funneling some of his own personal endorsement money to his assistants because they're not getting sneaker money under the table.

Mason

I've heard a lot of crazy ideas and read a lot of crazy posts about what is happening in college basketball right now so I thought it might be productive to explain the shady side of recruiting so that we can have an intellectual discussion about it and all be on the same page.

I am far from any kind of authority on this issue, but I've spoken with enough people and paid close enough attention to connect a few dots. So I'll give my understanding of what's going on and I encourage people to add to/correct what I've said in the hopes that we can all come to a working understanding of the ways things are in college basketball.

#1) Basically every college basketball player is getting paid, and it has been this way since long before any of us were born.

As an explanation, I'm sure there are some players who don't get paid anything, but its widespread enough so that we can say everybody gets paid as a generality and be correct. Its not just Duke and Kentucky players. Its not just five star recruits. Even the worst player off the bench on the worst team is getting something and it has pretty much always been this way.

How do I know? I know guys who were not great players and who played at non high major schools that got paid. I also know a guy who played for a non high major school in the 60's and got paid way back then. So this is happening everywhere, and has been happening for a LONG time . . . when I say long I mean a century or more - you don't remember a more innocent time when amateurs were really amateurs. It hasn't been that way in our lifetimes.

#2) Paying athletes does NOT mean a coach or booster giving a kid money to bribe him to choose their school. The reality is more complex than that.

As an explanation, I'm sure sometimes kids get money from a school as incentive to sign for them, but that is far from standard operating procedure. Its just not how the game is played.

How do I know? The boosters I know pay money to buy shiny new things to attract recruits. They don't buy the recruits themselves.

#3) Most of the time kids are getting money from agents and shoe companies who are going to profit from the kid's success later in life.

As an explanation, being an agent is a pretty sweet job if you can get it, but to be an agent you have to get players to sign with you, and the easiest way to do that is to give them money when they are young and need money. As for the shoe companies. They look at giving school kids money as a cheap investment. If you can get a high school kid in with your brand for 50K that's a lot better than waiting until he's a superstar and having to sign him for 50 Million.

How do I know? Read any article about the FBI investigation or talk to anybody affiliated with AAU.

There are schools like Louisville and Miami that give high schoolers drugs and prostitutes to entice them. Duke and other schools often help out the kids parents with jobs, houses, money etc. And there are plenty of smaller but still impermissible forms of cheating, I'm sure you can think of a bunch, and I won't get into them all here. Lets call these types of cheating the "obvious" types of cheating.

The important distinction for this discussion is a lot less obvious, and requires some explanation.

In short, some coaches let kids get paid by agents and shoe companies, and other coaches actively participate in the process.

When a coach actively participates in the process it looks like this: A shoe company or agent wants to sign a promising young player, they offer the player money but so does a competing agent or shoe company. How to get him on your side? Get the coach (who has a lot of influence over the player) to coerce him into choosing your company over your competitor. So the agent or shoe company pays some money to the coach who is essentially selling this kid to their business whether its good for the kid or not. In time, relationships form and agents/shoe companies suggest a kid choose a school with a coach who is already in their pocket to ensure the kid follows through with them once they give him money. It works both ways, both parties benefit, and the kid is happy making money.

I think that Syracuse is the kind of school that lets kids get paid by agents and NOT the kid of school that actively participates in the process. So those people saying "thank god Syracuse never pays its players" are missing the point. Syracuse players are still getting paid, its just that Syracuse coaches are not exploiting them or particularly benefiting from the fact that they get paid.

Right now it seems like the FBI is going after coaches who are taking money from shoe companies/agents to push the players in their direction, so I also think people worried that the FBI will come banging on Syracuse's door are probably worried for nothing.

The real worry, to me, is that lists of players who accepted money are going to come out, and some SU player will be on that list. The average non-die hard sports fan will not have a good enough understanding to differentiate between the teams who cheat in a way that gives them an unfair advantage like Duke and Kentucky, and the teams who just tassetly allow cheating to happen, like Syracuse.

First, Boeheim has talked publicly about not wanting certain kids to go pro when its bad for them, and spoken badly about "handlers" and "people giving his kids bad advice" a coach who was in on the action probably would not speak this way.

Second, I know for a fact that Boeheim was giving Hopkins endorsement money that most head coaches normally keep for themselves. I think he's doing the same for his other assistants. My guess is this is an incentive to compensate them for the lost revenue of not playing ball with any agents or shoe companies.

So what will the future hold? Well, I don't have an educated guess about that. Just a guess.

My guess is a few of the really bad violators (Pitino being the obvious example) lose their jobs before the dust settles. After the dust settles a lot of schools end up looking bad, and the NCAA ends up looking incompetent. Probably most schools escape individual punishment but different more stringent rules are adopted overall.

Perhaps schools end up being allowed to pay players? I would like that, especially if it means the high major schools split from the rest and finally play by their own rules and only play against each other.

Really interesting post and lots of good info in there. Seems like a good place to to offer a few of my opinions on this thing instead of starting yet another thread (even though some of these may not be related to the original post).

So, some thoughts:

1) The fact that it took L'ville an entire day to fire Jurich and Pitino is insane. I'm not even saying that either or both are guilty, per se (even though I believe they are). But to have so many issues at one program that supposedly still calls itself an educational institution, I would think they would have had no choice but to jump on it and act immediately saying that -- fairly or unfairly -- all the rumored issues in addition to the issues we know have already been reported put the university in a bad light and we're going in a different direction. Amazing to me that it didn't happen basically immediately.

2) These players are professionals. I have a kid who's 8 and plays soccer and there is already pressure to join club/travel teams and pay $3k a year to have your kid play soccer. It's insane. So the point is, these guys who are in revenue-generating sports and are identified as elite talents are going to be identified very early and funneled into these elite AAU-type programs. At that point, you're essentially on a professional basketball track. It's just the way it is at least for the types of kids we're talking about at schools like SU but also at programs like MAC schools and others. My only reason for pointing this out is to say that it shouldn't come as a surprise that these kids are being paid by these programs, including SU, which brings me to point 3 ...

3) Glass houses. I will have fun laughing at L'ville and celebrate the fact that we now have a much better chance or landing Jalen Carey and I will hope to God that Arizona is out of the northeast for a while, BUT the likelihood of SU never being touched by this scandal feels pretty slim.

4) This seems like a great opportunity to restructure the system.
Recruiting doesn't go away and neither does the ultra-competitiveness that comes with competition, particularly competition that yields lots of revenue as many of these programs do. However, it certainly seems like creating a system closer to that of MLB makes sense. Get the D-League fired up, treat it as a developmental league for anyone who is talented enough to qualify and let all the rest of the kids go to college for 3 years. If you want to give them a stipend, fine. If not, fine. But either get drafted out of high school, or sign with a college team and commit for three years. Something along those lines would seem to make most of the money exchanging hands (most, not all, it probably never goes away) above board.

5) This bloodletting could actually be good for college basketball. I'm fine with a watered down talent pool if it means there is some sort of continuity for these programs. The level of basketball in terms of execution has been pretty brutal at times the past several years and I can't help but feel the massive amount of player movement (early defectors, grad transfers, general transfers) is ridiculous. If the kids are maybe a bit less talented but also a bit more aligned with the rest of the student-athletes on campus in terms of actually trying to take advantage of a scholarship to get some form of an education, it would seem less likely to have a constant stream of moving parts.

6) I don't see a system where you simply have kids on the open market but playing in college. Most of these universities (while sitting on huge endowments often) cry poverty and keep raising tuition costs. If they are paying, let's say $3M-$4M for a roster at a high level for a roster of hoops players, it's going to A -- essentially exclude a huge percentage of universities from fielding and even remotely competitive roster and B) set up a situation that looks really bad for the universities. If these kids are going to be paid market value -- whatever that is (and I'm dubious as to how much many of these kids are actually 'worth' on the open market) -- it should be a professional organization -- not 300+ random universities that are supposedly concerned first with education.

7) Can we now stop with the 'pay them a stipend' or 'these kids can't afford a pizza' talk? We know now they can afford many pizzas and the stipend has always been a weird idea b/c if everyone gets the same stipend it's no more fair to the kids who have a big market value. Not sure what the answer is, but these two lines of thinking make no sense to me.

I'm glad you wrote this all out, General. This is basically how I thought things were going down for years, having read and heard about shady recruiting practices for a long time. I really hope there isn't documentation of payments in the Nike or ASM vault and/or those lists don't come out! Syracuse will look bad for tacitly supporting the system, but so will every other school in CBB.

"Basically every college basketball player is getting paid, and it has been this way since long before any of us were born."

And Football players. Probably not all. But the stars.

I graduated from Syracuse in 1964. My family did not have money, so I needed to work several jobs to pay my tuition. This would not be possible with today's tuition cost. But it was then. One of my jobs was as a part-time janitor for one of the buildings on campus. Two of us were assigned to clean the offices on one floor of the building each weeknight. Empty the trash, mop the floors, etc. I was one of the assignees and a star football player whose name you would immediately recognize was the other. He never showed up. I didn't mind. I needed the money and the job didn't really require two people. But it was an eye-opener.

"Basically every college basketball player is getting paid, and it has been this way since long before any of us were born."

I graduated from Syracuse in 1964. My family did not have money, so I needed to work several jobs to pay my tuition. This would not be possible with today's tuition cost. But it was then. One of my jobs was as a part-time janitor for one of the buildings on campus. Two of us were assigned to clean the offices on one floor of the building each weeknight. Empty the trash, mop the floors, etc. I was one of the assignees and a star football player whose name you would immediately recognize was the other. He never showed up. I didn't mind. I needed the money and the job didn't really require two people. But it was an eye-opener.
Did he, by any chance, wear Nike cleats?

Isn't it funny, that you and I were just talking about your experience several days ago. You worked hard to earn your college degree. Yes, you worked - just like my 5 granddaughters worked to get into college (can you believe that? Kids in this generation actually worked to get their college degree.) You have always impressed me with what you did and still do.

Here is another thing that I think needs to be pointed out.

Just because University A (suspected of being a cheater who buys players) grabs player X when everyone thought he was going to University B doesn't mean University B isn't a cheater too.

So University A outbids University B for player X, that doesn't mean that University B isn't outbiding University C for player Y.

My understanding is a lot of this is about what your budget looks like...

I don't doubt any of this. But what does shock me is that you could have a system like this involving thousands of people (including high school kids and their families), going on for decades, with virtually nothing leaking publicly. Obviously lots of people have had many suspicions for years, and there have always been rumors, but all it would take is a few disgruntled or disillusioned people to go on the record, and an ambitious journalist, to blow the lid off it.

If big-time payments are so prevalent, why did SU get nailed because a couple players were paid peanuts to work at a YMCA in Utica?

1) Because the NCAA had actual proof in this instance.
2) It was a second offense by the same head coach.
3) The punishment ruling was based on the sum collection of a bunch of ticky-tacky things that demonstrated a pattern of "lack of institutional control".

Another important thing to point out here: It is not in the NCAA's best interest to showcase its product as being a gigantic collection of massive cheaters.

My understanding is that the NCAA often 'softens' the officially released reports to minimize overall damage to the brand (both the school in question and the overarching institution of the NCAA itself). In many instances there are other things that are uncovered that never make it into the official report. There is usually a meeting between university representatives and the NCAA prior to official release where both parties agree on what will be made public. Damage control, basically. I'm not specifically saying that SU committed other violations that were not revealed, but I know that this has happened in the past with other institutions (for example I have heard that there was stuff left out of the Calipari/Memphis reports).

I don't doubt any of this. But what does shock me is that you could have a system like this involving thousands of people (including high school kids and their families), going on for decades, with virtually nothing leaking publicly. Obviously lots of people have had many suspicions for years, and there have always been rumors, but all it would take is a few disgruntled or disillusioned people to go on the record, and an ambitious journalist, to blow the lid off it.

McCants

I don't have a problem with the players getting paid but I don't understand how it helps address the problem... If someone is 'cheating' now, they will cheat later. If someone is getting paid...they can always get paid more.

As far as breaking away...I do think that is the track college sports is on... But even if the breakaway group (the P5?) would change the rules...wouldn't the Auburns and Louisville's still cheat? What has been solved?

Everyone keeps saying that many get paid.

If that's the case, how come all of this is officially coming out now? If all these kids have gotten benefits, why don't you always hear about it?

this was 1964 when it really wasnt illegal anyway . most of these pay rules didnt come into play until the 80s.

A couple thoughts:

A) I feel universities should have insurance on their athletes that covers potential future earnings. This way you can protect the amateur status of athletes while protecting their financial interests;

B) student athletes should have trusts set up in their name that anyone can contribute to but they can only access those funds contingent upon ... what? Leaving without instances of violating school policy? Graduation? Also, make those trusts a matter of public record.

Everyone keeps saying that many get paid.

If that's the case, how come all of this is officially coming out now? If all these kids have gotten benefits, why don't you always hear about it?
I think two major reasons: everyone is in on it, and it's a pretty complicated system. Uncovering massive fraud is hard and time consuming. Need someone to show you the bodies...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom