NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 133 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Totally, but could he iron man those minutes today too?

I dont think there is any way he could (nor would the team let him, for sure).

The game in the early 60's was totally different than it is now, guys were just rushing up the court and taking (and usually missing) the first shot they had.

In his second season, Wilt averaged 27.4 rebounds per game, which is a ridiculous number. The league average for team rebounds per game that year was 73.3. This year, it was 43.4. We talk about stat inflation now (mostly scoring based); there was a lot more of everything to go around in that era. THis season, average team shot 47.5% and scored 114.7 points per game. In 1961, it was 118.1 points per game on 41.5% shooting (with no threes, of course)

As much as I love Josh Hart, I think the Heat just dropping on all the screens he was setting kind of confused everyone a bit. Josh is going to need to make a few shots from 3 because it was a log jam in the paint with the heat just dropping on EVERYTHING and I don't think you can win with Josh Hart shooting too many shots from outside, not his strong suit. Be interested to see what the Knicks do to counter

As much as I love Josh Hart, I think the Heat just dropping on all the screens he was setting kind of confused everyone a bit. Josh is going to need to make a few shots from 3 because it was a log jam in the paint with the heat just dropping on EVERYTHING and I don't think you can win with Josh Hart shooting too many shots from outside, not his strong suit. Be interested to see what the Knicks do to counter

Yep.

Without Randle or an injured Randle, we’re already at a deficit.

Hart has to play better.

I’m a Knicks fan and it pains me to say this but I don’t think it’s anything big:

The Heat have a better coach, especially in-game. The Heat have the best player in the series in Jimmy.

I know the Heat had a bizarro season, but when they’re locked in, they are always a well-coached, tough, clutch team that usually doesn’t beat themselves.

Knicks can win, but we have to get the split.

Extend the circle.

Call moving screens. These guys get downhill on these picks up top that are never set. Call those and it makes that downhill drive a lot harder to get to unless you are setting legit screens.

Finally, I wonder if they can re-define verticality a bit to give more flex to the D.
I saw someone on Twitter saying that if they abolish the help defender charges, then you have to balance things out a bit by calling moving screens and my god, where can I sign up for that? Aside from flopping (which both of those rule changes would impact pretty significantly) and the fact that teams/players just don't care about the majority of the season anymore, these are two of my biggest issues with the game. Hell, I'd sign up for just addressing moving screens and leaving the charge rule as is; I'm so sick of seeing defenders get hit by a screen under the 3 point line and then get pushed out to nearly halfcourt by the screener. Likewise it drives me insane how often you see defenders try to go under screens and then the screener just "rolls" into them and push them all the way down to the rim.

I also think you need some more minutes from Grimes. If they try and drop off him as a screener he is a threat to pop out and hit a 3.

Did he? Seemed he peaked early on and got crushed routinely by Bill Russell.

In his final 5 seasons with the Lakers (one of which he was mostly injured, so he really only played most of 4 years with them), they made 3 NBA Finals, had a record 33 game winning streak, and he was the NBA Finals MVP in his 13th NBA season. In his time with the Lakers - a team that included all-time greats Jerry West and Elgin Baylor - he averaged roughly 20 points and 20 rebounds a game.

I dont think there is any way he could (nor would the team let him, for sure).

The game in the early 60's was totally different than it is now, guys were just rushing up the court and taking (and usually missing) the first shot they had.

In his second season, Wilt averaged 27.4 rebounds per game, which is a ridiculous number. The league average for team rebounds per game that year was 73.3. This year, it was 43.4. We talk about stat inflation now (mostly scoring based); there was a lot more of everything to go around in that era. THis season, average team shot 47.5% and scored 114.7 points per game. In 1961, it was 118.1 points per game on 41.5% shooting (with no threes, of course)
Where did you get the 43.4? I see in the 50s. Still much lower.

I think I know what it is; team rankings has a separate category for "team rebounds". Like if you miss the first of 2 FT, the defending team gets a "team rebound". But its not a real rebound.
Ahhh

Man that tweet from Shams is wild. I actually feel kinda bad for Brooks now lol granted he brought it on himself.

Really curious what kind of market he'll have this offseason. Before this season went off the rails, he was probably in line for a pretty big contract and now we have guys like Kevin O'Connor saying teams shouldn't even sign him for the league minimum lol.

He's still a pretty solid and versatile defender who had a pretty long sample size of being a decent shooter until whatever happened the last year or two.

Edit: I see one of the Memphis beat guys is saying Brooks wanted a larger role in the offense and if that's true, that's the opposite of what I hoped to see from him lol.

Last edited:

I also think you need some more minutes from Grimes. If they try and drop off him as a screener he is a threat to pop out and hit a 3.

yep, watching Josh when he was with the Pelicans every night always felt he was better off the bench and as many good things as he does on the court, his shooting was always hit and miss at best. I would agree, if you need shotting and it appears they do, more Grimes would probably be worth the shot.

Talked his way out of town

and may have talked his way out of the league, who the hell would want that clown? Yeah I am sure somebody will pick him up ( like Houston or Charlotte) but his days are numbered, IMO. Just too much.

Plenty of good defenders that do the dirty work, agitate on the court that do their job and don't run their mouth. Guys like, Josh Hart, Herb Jones etc

and may have talked his way out of the league, who the hell would want that clown? Yeah I am sure somebody will pick him up ( like Houston or Charlotte) but his days are numbered, IMO. Just too much.

Plenty of good defenders that do the dirty work, agitate on the court that do their job and don't run their mouth. Guys like, Josh Hart, Herb Jones etc
If Brooks is suddenly as horrendous a shooter as he looked against LA, he's very replaceable. He's been a pretty good shooter for most of his career though and guys that can defend the way he can and shoot the way he did are very valuable and difficult to find.

Embiid is a great player and I'm happy for him to win MVP but I personally would have voted for Joker again. He's first in basically every major metric: PER, VORP, WS/48, WS, OBPM, DBPM, etc. Especially win shares... the gap between #1 Joker and #2 Sabonis is larger than the gap between #2 Sabonis and #6 Tatum.

I saw someone on Twitter saying that if they abolish the help defender charges, then you have to balance things out a bit by calling moving screens and my god, where can I sign up for that? Aside from flopping (which both of those rule changes would impact pretty significantly) and the fact that teams/players just don't care about the majority of the season anymore, these are two of my biggest issues with the game. Hell, I'd sign up for just addressing moving screens and leaving the charge rule as is; I'm so sick of seeing defenders get hit by a screen under the 3 point line and then get pushed out to nearly halfcourt by the screener. Likewise it drives me insane how often you see defenders try to go under screens and then the screener just "rolls" into them and push them all the way down to the rim.
Draymond disagrees with this post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom