NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

I think people tend to overestimate how much of a problem bad free throw shooting is. If the Bucks are up at the end of the game, then yeah, they’re going to want to get the ball to someone else for the intentional fouls.

But just over the course of normal gameplay, two free throws for Giannis at 59% shooting on average is still more efficient than basically anybody else on the team taking a normal shot.

I’d also venture to guess that he’ll eventually get back to shooting in the 60s or 70s as usual but we’ll see.

Free throw shooting only becomes a major problem when you get guys shooting like 30% like Ben Simmons in the playoffs.

The bigger issue is that Giannis has just kinda sucked this year outside of dunks. He can’t even make layups right now, much less the mid range jumpers he was making with ease last year. Was awesome last night though so hopefully he’s getting back into the groove again.

I think it really becomes a problem, like with Simmons, when it affects how you play. (well also if you really do shoot 30%) Shying away from contact, etc. Obviously you'd rather make more FT than fewer, and in the micro that can definitely matter (you miss a bunch of FT and lose a 1 point game or whatever) but in the macro shooting around 60% from the line is probably ok if Giannis is still drawing fouls like he normally does.

Is there anyone in the NBA having a worse start to the season than RJ Barrett right now? The shooting is horrific.

I really want RJ to be good. And he's been sick a little the last week or so, so maybe thats partially why he has been so bad. But man. His whole career he's just been a bad shooter. There's always been this assumption he would eventually improve, and maybe he will, he is still young but he's basically been a terrible shooter every season of his career. Save the weird 21 season where he was good on 3's.

I don't know if a market with only one Big 4 pro team like Portland would be good for him.
Orlando, Charlotte, New Orleans, Minnesota….places that lack winning history or passionate fans where going to the game is just a night out.

Warriors sit Klay, Steph, Dreymond and Wiggins last night and lose by 45 in New Orleans. I get the 2nd night of a back to back but this is a little out of hand. They won the first night and are fine just giving the 2nd night away
Imagine being a kid from the middle of nowhere in Louisiana, whose dad saved up and got him tickets for his birthday to go to his first NBA game to see his beloved Warriors. Pure BS. It’s bad for the game. Stop scheduling back to backs if guys won’t play in them.

Orlando, Charlotte, New Orleans, Minnesota….places that lack winning history or passionate fans where going to the game is just a night out.

Maybe on the next contract someone would want him. Nobody in there right mind would trade for a malcontent, who does not love the game, nor work hard to improve and is injury prone. and also represented by Clutch. He's a cancer and for what he is paid the team would have to give up serious assets to actually trade him, He's basically on the same contract as a Brandon Ingram and that ain't happening

It's taken David Griffin 3 years to build a team that the City of New Orleans actually really likes to root for and the attendance has been pretty damn good for their games. Don't think he's going to upset the apple cart.

Now if you could find a way to package Jaxson Hayes/ Devante Graham in a trade for a rim running/ shot blocker type that would fit the team culture you might be onto something

Last edited:
Imagine being a kid from the middle of nowhere in Louisiana, whose dad saved up and got him tickets for his birthday to go to his first NBA game to see his beloved Warriors. Pure BS. It’s bad for the game. Stop scheduling back to backs if guys won’t play in them.
That is pure BS. Kid should be a Pels fan.

Tatum and the Celts look very good tonight. Already looking forward to their Christmas game against the Bucks.

Why are the Lakers playing the Spurs for the 3rd time in 4 games? Schedule makes no sense.

Leading the NBA in 3 pt shooting. Just like JG3, we've followed Kevin's career since 8th grade. You just never know how a kid is going to develop.
He had a rough game last night. You could see he was off in warmups before the game started and at halftime.

Celtics were almost clinical last night. You can tell their playoff experience last year has positively impacted them all around. Brown with the quietest 25 points you’ll ever see. And JT is just tough.

Even though Fox didn’t have the night my son hoped for, we had a great night. Love Boston.

Last edited:
I’m sitting here watching the Clippers beat up on the Pacers before the Pacers play the Lakers tomorrow, which has felt like a trend this season. So I did some digging…

Let me preface by stating the Clippers had to play five games in seven days five times last season, most in the league. The Lakers only had to do that once. While the Clippers don’t have any such sets this year, they do have the most back-to-backs (Lakers have the fewest) and will play a record 61 games before the All-Star Break.

Now back to the opponent back-to-backs in LA. 15 road teams will play consecutive games in LA this year. The Lakers get the second game 11 times, the Clippers just four. For three of those four (Spurs, Bucks, Bulls), the Clippers will be playing their second game in three days.

The other one (Cavs) already happened this season, which was also a back-to-back for the Clippers. Check out this scheduling: The Lakers played the Cavs on a Sunday afternoon, followed by the Clippers and Jazz that night. Then the Cavs played the Clippers the next night…while the Jazz hosted the Lakers. You catch that? The Lakers arrived in SLC before the Jazz.

Now I realize some of this is the Clippers’ own doing, going back to when Sterling was the owner and made the Clips the third tenant at Staples. So a lot of this nonsense will go away when the Clips move. I could see this back-to-back in LA scheduling becoming the norm, though. (Wouldn’t be surprised if it already has been and I didn’t realize it until now.)

Plus, he’s 37 years old. Sort of averaging his age.
I don’t understand why he plays so much.

Save those legs for April-May. He might be able to pull off some games where he plays D and hits 3 or 4 corner 3’s.

I don’t understand why he plays so much and Thybulle plays 11 mpg. Thybulle is a legit defender and despite not being a scorer at all….he averaged 5.7 ppg in 25 mpg last year. Tucker is making those numbers look good. And he’s got young legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom