NBA Thread 2022-23 Season | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2022-23 Season

Obviously a lot more than just the calls had to go wrong to surrender that deficit, but that comeback featured some of the shadiest officiating I’ve ever seen in quick succession lol. Glad it ultimately didn’t matter outside of whatever money they made on the betting line.

I only started to closely watch when the Raps got down to just 6 with about 30 seconds to go. I thought there was only one really egregious call in there - not sure how the push on Portis with about 12 seconds left was not a foul. The flagrant on Grayson Allen on the Trent 3 point shot was correct in my view, and really only cost Milwaukee one point since the Raptors missed on the next possession.

There may have been bad calls between the 21 point and the 6 point mark (3:10 to about 0:30). Can't say I was closely watching the game until Trent hit that 3 (and was fouled), that brought the game to 6 with around 30 seconds to go. I was on a Raptors message board whining about the team - people were posting things like why is Nurse keeping the starters on, "fake comeback", "nice that Barnes decided to wake up for the 4th", "time to fully tank". and then next thing you know all of a sudden it's a game.

“Yeah, a lot.” Hahaha

Doesn't 100% pass the smell test for me. I'm like 50/50.

Who asks someone to fully spell out their name in a street side interview? That gets my sensors up.

At the same time it does make the interviewer look stupid, so not sure if they would be fully on board with it.

Who asks someone to fully spell out their name in a street side interview? That gets my sensors up.

At the same time it does make the interviewer look stupid, so not sure if they would be fully on board with it.
I'm pretty sure it was genuine.

I'm pretty sure it was genuine.

Does this person always ask people to spell out their full name when answering questions?
Seems like a really odd thing to do.

Not that I am one of those privacy freaks, just seems odd.

Television reporters do this for pretty much any interview, so that the interviewee's name is spelled correctly on the screen when they appear on air.

Television reporters do this for pretty much any interview, so that the interviewee's name is spelled correctly on the screen when they appear on air.
And I'm guessing they then just edit out that part?

Makes sense. I have seen the names placed before on a number of things.

Although I would say more of the street side interviews I see don't put anybody's name anymore, but that may be more of news preference for the news I watch.

Last edited:
And I'm guessing they then just edit out that part?

Yeah that wouldn't have been something anyone would ever see on air, but it's very common practice, both for on-camera interviews and print interviews.

Although I would say more of the street side interviews I see don't put anybody's name anymore, but that may be more of a local news preference.

If you'd like another good laugh (sorry I've taken this thread way off topic):

Although I would say more of the street side interviews I see don't put anybody's name anymore, but that may be more of news preference for the news I watch.
One other thing, that interview happened at one of two places. It was either at The Gateway, which is an outdoor shopping center with a bunch of restaurants and the comedy club I frequent, or City Creek, which is another outdoor shopping center that's a bit newer and bigger. I'm leaning toward City Creek. Pretty sure several news stations are in walking distance to it, good place for "citizen on the street" stuff.

Otto i know you follow the Jazz pretty closely curious what your thoughts are on what they will do at the trade deadline? Continue to trade and kind of tear it down, maybe deal guys like Beasley, Olynyk, Vanderbilt and Sexton or sit tight. I am sure Ainge will listen to anybody but not sure he will get the ridiculous deals he did for a Gobert type trade which could turn out to be the worst trade in NBA trade for Minnesota considering what Sessler is showing so early as well alone not to mention all the draft picks

I'm not Otto, but from an outsider, I think there are certain players they need to move by the deadline. They are not competing for a title this year.

The primary one to me is Jordan Clarkson, a 30 year old who has a player option, I think should be moved. You are going to get at least a non-lotto first for him I would think. His value may never be higher and he is not in your future core.

Beyond that they have a number of players with various options / partial guarantees they would probably take whatever they can get (if anything) - Beasley, Gay, THT, Conley. No need to rush into trading Vanderbilt unless you get a really good value offer - he has a cheap contract next year as well. Olynyk may also have more value as an expiring after this season.

I think the real interesting player is Lauri Markannen. He is on a great value contract, and is playing insanely well offensively. Typically when a player has big jump in usage (shots/36) there will be a decline in efficiency. Yet his efficiency has increased from 57%TS before this year to 67% this year.

With a $18 million contract for the next 2 years his value may be as high as it will ever be. If Ainge was willing to move on from Mitchell/Gobert I can see him maxxing the value of this asset as well. But I think that might be a summer move. But he is also no rush on this one, and we know Ainge typically works slow (last summer being an exception)

I think tanking for a top 5 pick will be tough for Utah due to their good start.

The Bulls snapped a 12-game Brooklyn win streak and also moved to 6-1 against the Eastern Conference's top three seeds, albeit 17-21 on the season. They have been so up and down this season.
Sixers aren't top 3... but Bulls snapped another steak tonight... the Sixers 11-game home win streak.

I'm not Otto, but from an outsider, I think there are certain players they need to move by the deadline. They are not competing for a title this year.

The primary one to me is Jordan Clarkson, a 30 year old who has a player option, I think should be moved. You are going to get at least a non-lotto first for him I would think. His value may never be higher and he is not in your future core.

Beyond that they have a number of players with various options / partial guarantees they would probably take whatever they can get (if anything) - Beasley, Gay, THT, Conley. No need to rush into trading Vanderbilt unless you get a really good value offer - he has a cheap contract next year as well. Olynyk may also have more value as an expiring after this season.

I think the real interesting player is Lauri Markannen. He is on a great value contract, and is playing insanely well offensively. Typically when a player has big jump in usage (shots/36) there will be a decline in efficiency. Yet his efficiency has increased from 57%TS before this year to 67% this year.

With a $18 million contract for the next 2 years his value may be as high as it will ever be. If Ainge was willing to move on from Mitchell/Gobert I can see him maxxing the value of this asset as well. But I think that might be a summer move. But he is also no rush on this one, and we know Ainge typically works slow (last summer being an exception)

I think tanking for a top 5 pick will be tough for Utah due to their good start.
As a Jazz fan, I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying, but I think, barring huge returns in trades, that the Jazz might only really look to get rid of Conley and Gay. Both on big contracts and not getting any younger, could add value to a playoff team. Especially Conley, but Gay could also with the right team, even though he has not shot the ball well this season, he still brings intangibles. Olynyk might be next in line to be traded, and possibly THT, but I think the other guys (Clarkson, Beasley and S e x ton) might be part of the rebuilding.

Markannen, like you said, has increased his value tremendously. He and Beasley are both only 25 years old. S e x ton just turned 24 and Clarkson is the old man at 30. Walker Kessler is 21 and already doing a great job defensively. THT is only 22 but he really isn't part of the rotation right now.

Like you said, the big elephant in the room is that for the 1st half of the season they finished at 20-21. They have their own and Minnesota's first round pick this year and the thing is that everyone was talking about how great this year's draft was going to be, but after seeing a lot of the top freshmen in college this year, I am not sure the draft is that deep. But I think they could easily get a Grady Dick or GG Jackson or a Cason Wallace with where they will probably be drafting. But, their biggest hope, might be that Minnesota implodes further and they move into the top 7 or 8 in the draft.

It's really hard to say. Markannen is going nowhere. I'd be surprised if Clarkson is traded, got a feeling he's in the Jazzman for life club. Walker is probably in the long term plans. I think the rest of the club could be had for the right price.

I am hoping they're active though. I enjoy the chaos.

It's really hard to say. Markannen is going nowhere. I'd be surprised if Clarkson is traded, got a feeling he's in the Jazzman for life club. Walker is probably in the long term plans. I think the rest of the club could be had for the right price.

I am hoping they're active though. I enjoy the chaos.
I think teams are going to be very wary trading with Ainge and that's why I don't see much, besides Conley and Gay, going before the trade deadline. But you never know.

As a Jazz fan, I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying, but I think, barring huge returns in trades, that the Jazz might only really look to get rid of Conley and Gay. Both on big contracts and not getting any younger, could add value to a playoff team. Especially Conley, but Gay could also with the right team, even though he has not shot the ball well this season, he still brings intangibles. Olynyk might be next in line to be traded, and possibly THT, but I think the other guys (Clarkson, Beasley and S e x ton) might be part of the rebuilding.

Markannen, like you said, has increased his value tremendously. He and Beasley are both only 25 years old. S e x ton just turned 24 and Clarkson is the old man at 30. Walker Kessler is 21 and already doing a great job defensively. THT is only 22 but he really isn't part of the rotation right now.

Like you said, the big elephant in the room is that for the 1st half of the season they finished at 20-21. They have their own and Minnesota's first round pick this year and the thing is that everyone was talking about how great this year's draft was going to be, but after seeing a lot of the top freshmen in college this year, I am not sure the draft is that deep. But I think they could easily get a Grady Dick or GG Jackson or a Cason Wallace with where they will probably be drafting. But, their biggest hope, might be that Minnesota implodes further and they move into the top 7 or 8 in the draft.

Conley is very hard to trade. Its hard to find matching contracts for a contract that size, especially when Conley has an overpaid contract at this point. The one thing Conley does have is only $13m guaranteed next year, so perhaps if the Jazz are willing to eat money on a bad contract next year in a Conley deal, they can move Conley and get a protected first for a team trying to create cap space this summer.

Gay at $7.0m can certainly net you a second or two, or a prospect on his last lifeline.

THT has zero or very limited value since he has a player option which he will certainly take. Who wants to pay him $10m next year at this point? I think he is a Jazz next year

I see it more likely than not that they trade Clarkson, but I could be wrong. I think that's the only older veteran that has first round trade value on the team (other than Markannen).

Last edited:
Conley is very hard to trade. Its hard to find matching contracts for a contract that size, especially when Conley has an overpaid contract at this point. The one thing Conley does have is only $13m guaranteed next year, so perhaps if the Jazz are willing to eat money on a bad contract next year in a Conley deal, they can move Conley and get a protected first for a team trying to create cap space this summer.

Gay at $7.0m can certainly net you a second or two, or a prospect on his last lifeline.

THT has zero or very limited value since he has a player option which he will certainly take. Who wants to pay him $10m next year at this point? I think he is a Jazz next year

I see it more likely than not that they trade Clarkson, but I could be wrong. I think that's the only older veteran that has first round trade value on the team (other than Markannen).
I think you're assuming that the Jazz will only make deals where first round picks are in play.

I'm not sure that's true.

I think you're assuming that the Jazz will only make deals where first round picks are in play.

I'm not sure that's true.

Not assuming that at all to be honest. I expect he will do multiple things on the fringes, but the goodies in return will not be that great (2nd picks or taking a flyer on a fringe or declining prospect). Ainge will hold out and be difficult to deal with on big deals (for example if for some reason he ever decided to put Markannen on the market at a later date), but he seems to have a history of making a bunch of fringe trades where the value is minimal.

Unless Clarkson is involved, which Jazz fans seem to think will not happen. I think Vanderbilt also non-lotto first value based on what I heard at the beginning of the year, but I don't think Ainge is in a rush to move him this year either.

For example I think they take whatever they can get for Beasley, because I'm not sure Ainge wants to pay him 16M next year under the team option. And once they decline that option, I beleive they can't sign him for the 2023/2024 season. So for all intents and purposes he is a free agent they will not retain.

Last edited:
Raptors are a mess. They are sort of like the Knicks from last year. Knicks had an expectedly good season in 2020/2021 and then took a step back in 2021/2022.

Many reports out there that they will be active in the trade market and are even open to trading Pascal Siakam and OG Anunoby who have played very well this year. Masai has some Danny Ainge in him though when he is trading high value pieces, so I doubt either is moved at the deadline.

I assume Scottie Barnes is not in play, but he has also been a massive letdown this year.

FVV has got old very quickly and I don't think he is in there long term plays.

Gary Trent is inconsistent and will be opting out.

So there are pieces out there that could get non lotto first round picks, or in the Siakam and Anunoby multiple first packages.

Raptors have also showed they have no interest in fighting for a play in (Tampa year 2021). They will be moving some players, and will be resting some players down the stretch trying to maximize their lotto balls.

Let’s go Knicks!

Knicks fortunate to not complete the meltdown they seemed focused on last night.
Still, they are 4-1 with Barrett and Obi out.
Bench is loaded with good players, and Randle is back in All-Star form.

One factor with Conley, Gay and THT, is how motivated will the new owner be to eat big contracts and probably pay some luxury tax.

The Jazz have a very dedicated and supportive fan base, but are still are considered small market and probably can't keep raising ticket prices. I haven't heard or seen much written about it lately, but it appears he wants to keep the team in SLC, as he previously spoke about when he purchased the team a couple years ago, but there have always been underlying rumors they would move to Vegas, Seattle, etc.

I'm watching this like 100 times. Laker fans claim they see contact but the rest of the world claims flop. Nicholson must be giving acting lessons because I don't see a KO punch. Contact, maybe, but not a haymaker. Thomas Bryant should be ashamed how bad this is going to look. The comments are a fun read.

Last edited:
I'm watching this like 100 times. Laker fans claim they see contact but the rest of the world claims flop. Nicholson must be giving acting lessons because I don't see a KO punch. Contact, maybe, but not a haymaker. Thomas Bryant should be ashamed how bad this is going to look. The comments are a fun read.

Freezing as Trae's fingertips pass by, appears that Bryant's upper lip does fly up visibly.
That said, Bryant's resulting convulsions/spasms for a call are comical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom