Next year’s starting line up ? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s starting line up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean we have a top 20-25 cbb player returning next season.

We do for sure. We also have an incredibly frustrated fanbase.

There is a lot to like. One player right now though seems to universally have everyone taking the under on this team.

We will be a good team next year. Joe needs to play his role. Stop chucking and try and go North South. Protect the ball and hit open shots.

Joe
Buddy
Benny
Cole
Jesse

In rotation
Jimmy
Sid
Symir

Bench players
JBA
Chaz

We are not a super deep team in terms of numbers this year but doesn’t matter when Boeheim is Coach cause he plays limited guys anyway. We do have talent, thing that worries me is athleticism and defense. Shooting wise we should be one of the top teams in the country it it worries me that we are too one dimensional on offense and if we have a bad shooting night we could get blown out by 20, by anyone. I’ll admit I wasn’t too big on this team when it first started to come together but I’m starting to warm up a bit to the team.

I like that Sid is projected to come back and IF he stays healthy, big IF. He can help us for sure. I think Jesse can take that next step. Benny is going to be a stud. He’s a lot stronger/bigger than even I was anticipating him to be when he first arrived on campus. Benny is a big, athletic dude that will be playing at the next level in a year or 2. Buddy is gonna be Buddy, expect big things from him. I think Joe has a big year, bounces back from last year, covid crushed him and with fans back in the arena he FEEDS off that. I think he bounces back this year. Cole I expect will get us about 10ppg and 5-6rpg. I think Symir will be a steady back up guard, he’ll do what you ask of him and can count on him but won’t be a game breaker. I really hope Frank surprises. He’s a freak athlete, we just need him to put the tools together on offense. I think he will be fine on defense and rebounding just on athleticism and knowing the system now. We just need some skill to catch up but he’s relatively new to basketball so I think it can happen. Should be a fun year and hopefully we surprise some people

Last edited:
I’m optimistic in the belief that JGIII is one of the most competitive players ever to wear SU orange. He did not have a great year last and he is not the most talented, but I am certain that he recognizes that. I think he will surprise the plethora of naysayers on this board.
Some of the comments are mind boggling as if JB doesn’t mind losing.

Joe
Buddy
Benny
Cole
Jesse

In rotation
Jimmy
Sid
Symir

Bench players
JBA
Chaz

We are super deep in terms of numbers this year but doesn’t matter when Boeheim is Coach cause he plays limited guys anyway. We do have talent, thing that worries me is athleticism and defense. Shooting wise we should be one of the top teams in the country it it worries me that we are too one dimensional on offense and if we have a bad shooting night we could get blown out by 20, by anyone. I’ll admit I wasn’t too big on this team when it first started to come together but I’m starting to warm up a bit to the team.

I like that Sid is projected to come back and IF he stays healthy, big IF. He can help us for sure. I think Jesse can take that next step. Benny is going to be a stud. He’s a lot stronger/bigger than even I was anticipating him to be when he first arrived on campus. Benny is a big, athletic dude that will be playing at the next level in a year or 2. Buddy is gonna be Buddy, expect big things from him. I think Joe has a big year, bounces back from last year, covid crushed him and with fans back in the arena he FEEDS off that. I think he bounces back this year. Cole I expect will get us about 10ppg and 5-6rpg. I think Symir will be a steady back up guard, he’ll do what you ask of him and can count on him but won’t be a game breaker. I really hope Frank surprises. He’s a freak athlete, we just need him to put the tools together on offense. I think he will be fine on defense and rebounding just on athleticism and knowing the system now. We just need some skill to catch up but he’s relatively new to basketball so I think it can happen. Should be a fun year and hopefully we surprise some people
I do agree with a lot of what you said but call us “super deep in terms of numbers” is a stretch. We don’t have a 4th guard. We have exactly 3 guys for the 3/4 spots (maybe Buddy/Frank could play if need be).

The 3 guys we do have who can play the 5 are:
- a massive injury question
- a guy that didn’t play at all last year and may leave if the guy above is healthy
- a guy who showed a lot last year but hasn’t played significant PT and is foul prone

I do think the talent is solid. But I wouldn’t call us deep. Even if you had a coach who utilized all the guys on the bench what does that mean? We see more of Chaz Owens? Anselem gets an extra 5mpg?

I do agree with a lot of what you said but call us “super deep in terms of numbers” is a stretch. We don’t have a 4th guard. We have exactly 3 guys for the 3/4 spots (maybe Buddy/Frank could play if need be).

The 3 guys we do have who can play the 5 are:
- a massive injury question
- a guy that didn’t play at all last year and may leave if the guy above is healthy
- a guy who showed a lot last year but hasn’t played significant PT and is foul prone

I do think the talent is solid. But I wouldn’t call us deep. Even if you had a coach who utilized all the guys on the bench what does that mean? We see more of Chaz Owens? Anselem gets an extra 5mpg?
10000% agree. I meant to say not a super deep team. Typo lol but 100% agree. We are not a super deep team in terms of numbers and it doesn’t really matter that much. As long as we can go 8 guys deep that have talent and they can stay healthy. That’s all that really matters when Boeheim is coaching.

If you have elite talent like golden state it makes sense to do small ball death lineup.

To play Jimmy Jr. at the 5 when we have better 5s is just stupid.
Who says we have better options? Jesse starts. That is when the questions start. Is JBJ better than Frank? I have no idea and neither do you. Is he better than Sidibe? At the 5, probably not. But we have no idea how Sid will look. How about JBA? Once again, no idea. None of us have watched any of those guys practice. None of us. So to say there are better guys and Jr playing is stupid, seems a long reach.

So, it looks spot on, if, if, if Coach…

goes against everything he’s been doing with the 5 since 2016?

Yeah, good luck with that. :rolleyes:

I’d LOVE it if Frankie were good enough to earn those 15 minutes, but even then -
you know how Boeheim do.

We will absolutely see one or both of Cole & Junior get non-trivial minutes at the 5.
It’s like Death, Taxes, and the 2-3 zone at this point.
Talking to coaches with the last name other than Boeheim, they were surprised at just how far behind Frank was. I expect we will see some of Jr at the 5 when Jesse needs to rest. I expect it will be the correct decision but don't know that for sure.

Who says we have better options? Jesse starts. That is when the questions start. Is JBJ better than Frank? I have no idea and neither do you. Is he better than Sidibe? At the 5, probably not. But we have no idea how Sid will look. How about JBA? Once again, no idea. None of us have watched any of those guys practice. None of us. So to say there are better guys and Jr playing is stupid, seems a long reach.
The idea Jimmy Jr. is going to play C is just mind numbing.
The ACC isn’t a midmajor.
Athletes actually are on every team in the conference.
We suck rebounding the ball with height in the zone. Marek was 6-9 to 6-10.
Jimmy Jr. is 6-8.

This philosophy is totally second guess worthy.
Do we want to compete for NCs or just be decent.

What is the point of having Ansalem on the team if he can’t play and develop.
If he can’t play then the staff again has wasted time not filing in a hole.
We didn’t get a Big in the transfer market.
Don’t sell me Jimmy Jr. is a big.

Can we load up the roster with a complete team one time in 8 years and not always have to round peg into squaring hole it. When we could have added.

Jimmy Jr. is 6-8.

Can we load up the roster with a complete team one time in 8 years and not always have to round peg into squaring hole it. When we could have added.
This “mind numbing” “second guess worthy“ scenario hasn’t happened yet, so maybe you are either being a little premature or you just enjoy hand wringing. We may need JB jr or CS to play the 5 at some point, who knows. It won’t be the end of the world if it happens.

I think we'll be better than last year, not sure if I'd call us "good" but we'll be in the tourney and capable of winning games again. Recruiting is picking up so the future looks brighter.
Exactly how I feel. I think will be in eight or nine seed.
I don’t see a consistent top 25 team unless the point guard play is a lot better.

Exactly how I feel. I think will be in eight or nine seed.
I don’t see a consistent top 25 team unless the point guard play is a lot better.
My local united way branch thanks you in advance for this prognostication ;)

Jimmy Jr. is 6-8.

Outrage LOL Why don't you wait and see what happens before you start with this? Jimmy is a tough kid. Maybe Cole plays the 5. We aren't talking about big minutes here. And almost every school does what you are accusing Syracuse of doing. How about that bet I offered you if we are going to be so average? Oh, and the staff had hoped that Frank would develop better than he had. He still has plenty of time to develop.

Outrage LOL Why don't you wait and see what happens before you start with this? Jimmy is a tough kid. Maybe Cole plays the 5. We aren't talking about big minutes here. And almost every school does what you are accusing Syracuse of doing. How about that bet I offered you if we are going to be so average? Oh, and the staff had hoped that Frank would develop better than he had. He still has plenty of time to develop.
Lol I offered you 7 is a draw. 6 or better you win.
8 or worse I win.

You wouldn’t take that. SUskibum did.
I am not giving you better odds just because. I will make the same offer again.
200 dollars.

Talking to coaches with the last name other than Boeheim, they were surprised at just how far behind Frank was. I expect we will see some of Jr at the 5 when Jesse needs to rest. I expect it will be the correct decision but don't know that for sure.
Interesting...

Makes me want to compare Frank to Rony Seikaly, who was also an impressive athlete as a freshman, but way behind with respect to certain skills & knowing how to use his athleticism on the court.

One of the things I remember hearing about Frank last year was that he is "really smart." I'm guessing now it was a reference to his academic abilities? Of course, being very capable in the classroom obviously doesn't make one 'smart' when it comes to playing basketball, an activity that relies far more on instinct and lots of repetitions.

Sounds like the hope that Frank could play the 4 for some minutes along side Jesse isn't in the cards.

Lol I offered you 7 is a draw. 6 or better you win.
8 or worse I win.

You wouldn’t take that. SUskibum did.
I am not giving you better odds just because. I will make the same offer again.
200 dollars.
For a guy that is so unhappy with our team, a 7 as a draw seems like kind of a good team to me. I couldn't care less what someone else is willing to take. With that bet you are saying they have to be top 25. Now, I think they will be that type of team. But this is the toughest OOC schedule of my lifetime. That has to be factored in.

For a guy that is so unhappy with our team, a 7 as a draw seems like kind of a good team to me. I couldn't care less what someone else is willing to take. With that bet you are saying they have to be top 25. Now, I think they will be that type of team. But this is the toughest OOC schedule of my lifetime. That has to be factored in.

Meh. We’ve been a 3 and 4 seed with 9 regular season losses before. If you win your fair share it doesn’t matter how many losses you have. It never has. If we go 23-8 and win 2 ACC games we will be a high seed.

7 seed is not a great team.
It’s one or two more wins than a 8-9 seed.
I consider a 6 seed a good season.
It’s a top 25 team.
The nonconference schedule helps seeding.
Tough losses don’t hurt you.
Good wins help.

7 seed is not a great team.
It’s one or two more wins than a 8-9 seed.
I consider a 6 seed a good season.
It’s a top 25 team.
The nonconference schedule helps seeding.
Tough losses don’t hurt you.
Good wins help.
I am not in the room with the selection comm. Nor are you. Losses don't ever help. A tough schedule helps you get in the tournament. It doesn't help you with your seeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom