Class of 2024 - OL Travis Brown-Miller (NJ) COMMITED TO SYRACUSE (3/7/24) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 OL Travis Brown-Miller (NJ) COMMITED TO SYRACUSE (3/7/24)

IMG_5412.jpeg

Looking at his hudl, big and strong that is for sure.

Extremely raw. Slow foot speed, not very quick and plays high. Things that can be worked on.

Reminds of Jamar Mcgloster a few years back. Was a big dude coming out of high school and needed a lot of work and was similar to this. Ended up being a starting tackle for us and was pretty solid.

We shall see. At this point. Any high school kid that commits for 2024 is going to be under the radar and a flyer. We’ll see how good this staff is at identifying talent

I don’t think they do graphics for walk ons, do they?

For those that forgot...

What's a blue shirt?
Here's a pretty good definition of all the 'shirts.

Blueshirt:

Blueshirting wasn't used until recently, and it still isn't common, but it's essentially another loophole to get around oversigning.

AD
The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play. Here's what it means to be "recruited," according to the NCAA:

• Was provided an official visit to the campus;
  • Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or
  • Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.

Coaches can contact players and have them on campus for unofficial visits — when the recruits pay their ways — without technically recruiting them. Essentially, as long as a recruit doesn't take an official visit or host one of that school's coaches, he wasn't "recruited" by that school.

I took a look at his film. First looked at his junior season. After looking at that, I was thinking there is no way he was offered a scholarship. He had legit size and was quite mobile but he didn’t overpower many players and seemed kind of wooden and slow.

Then I looked at his senior highlights. Thankfully he improved a lot as a senior. They had him pull some and he got to linebackers 10 or 15 feet from the LOS a lot. Looked stronger in general and pancaked a lot more players. Got nastier in general.

Agree he plays too high. Looks stiff. Doesn’t get the leverage you want to see right now. But the vast improvement from his junior highlights is encouraging. I am happier if he blue shirts because we have a huge scholarship crunch for 2024 and taking a player who has no chance of contributing right away doesn’t make a lot of sense. If you want to add an OL late, take a transfer who is physically mature and has a lot of game experience; a guy who can hit the floor running and help immediately.

Wow the number of players from NJ is just exploding with Coach Brown has taken over the program. A couple of years from now we might have 8 or 10 starters from there.

Rutgers fans must be very excited for us.

Fran isn't just building a roster, he's creating a culture. Takes like this from his key recruiting area are not just about taking a shot on potential. It's about who, where, the potential is from. Hes laying a foundation with the late takes. Same kid if he's from Wisconsin isn't a take. This is a strategic add.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom