Old Frank | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Old Frank

Look, I'm not saying Frank can't recover from this, but I've seen monkey shiz fights at the zoo with more accurate passing.

Next to the lions and tigers actually eating a zookeeper or a tourist, the monkey ish fights are the best part of going to the zoo.

Honesty, it really doesn't surprise me because he's not a lead guard, and he really gets exposed when playing against stiffer competition with just token ball pressure. His poor handle along with his high dribble, will be there for the taking all season against tougher ACC opponents and aggressive ball pressure D. We saw it last year, as he started off the season very solid against lessor competition and then as the season went on really tailed off.

Tonight's poor play by Frank was only one night, but until he shows (which I have low confidence due to his aforementioned weak skill set) he can be solid against stiffer competition, I'm going to remain half empty on Frank as a consistent/reliable lead type guard. JB really doesn't have any other options, at least not for prolonged periods, so that's why, imo, Frank wasn't yanked tonight.
Seriously, we just played Kansas. We won't face stiffer competition. Do you guys even think before you post? Ffs.

Seriously, we just played Kansas. We won't face stiffer competition. Do you guys even think before you post? Ffs.

Frank was horrible in the first half against Kansas when the game was still in doubt and KU applied some ball pressure. In the second half, they blew it open quickly, and took pressure off the ball afterwards. Frank played better at that point and we made a little run, before KU ended all doubt. That's how I saw it. Tonight, I saw Frank being the same ol Frank when ball pressure was applied. Just my opinion...

That's true but last year he had a bad game (South Carolina) on a neutral court and then he was bad in ACC play.

Bottom line: Frank will not be consistent and that's a problem. And the folks who said in this thread that his defense was not an issue must not have watched him not trying to close out on numerous occasions. It was like after last game's foul troubles, he didn't want to risk getting whistled.

Bad performance. Hopefully, he bounces back against Georgetown (can't take any stock in Colgate game).

For who?

I also think a couple times guys maybe not in position.

But I'm telling you... That was the worst I've seen in awhile.

Luckily, you can tell he is really aware of the mistakes and Jimmy is really coaching him up.

On this one I have to disagree. I see him pointing at other players and blaming others ALOT when he turns it over.

The one pass to the invisible man in the corner early in the second half was incredibly bad. He then motions to Chukwu as though HE should have faded out to the corner and been ready for the pass? the concept of Chukwu receiving a pass in the corner and taking a three is comedy gold.

That's true but last year he had a bad game (South Carolina) on a neutral court and then he was bad in ACC play.

Bottom line: Frank will not be consistent and that's a problem. And the folks who said in this thread that his defense was not an issue must not have watched him not trying to close out on numerous occasions. It was like after last game's foul troubles, he didn't want to risk getting whistled.

Bad performance. Hopefully, he bounces back against Georgetown (can't take any stock in Colgate game).
Frank is never going to be a true point guard. The only true 1 on our team is Washington. This is our weakness. If im playing cuse i pressure Frank do everything possible to over play battle and make us win with our bigs. To combat that we need to continue to play great D as it doesnt allow them to set up. I hope Washington continues to see minutes as i believe by year end he could really make a difference.

The concern is that he played just like he played last year tonight.

Watch all the games? UConn is a positive mid-major, except for their ball-pressure which is what you’re addressing here

Syracuse Fans may not know what ball pressure is anymore after 17 years of watching Zone

Frank handled things sub-optimally but will be fine

Battle had an over and back under pressure.

Frank is never going to be a true point guard. The only true 1 on our team is Washington. This is our weakness. If im playing cuse i pressure Frank do everything possible to over play battle and make us win with our bigs. To combat that we need to continue to play great D as it doesnt allow them to set up. I hope Washington continues to see minutes as i believe by year end he could really make a difference.

No clue why HW didn't get 3-4 minutes in the seoond half when FH was singlehandedly keeping UConn within striking difference.

Frank was horrible in the first half against Kansas when the game was still in doubt and KU applied some ball pressure. In the second half, they blew it open quickly, and took pressure off the ball afterwards. Frank played better at that point and we made a little run, before KU ended all doubt. That's how I saw it. Tonight, I saw Frank being the same ol Frank when ball pressure was applied. Just my opinion...

Dude, frank went for 15 and 7 in 32 mins vs. KU. I suppose you can argue they didn't play hard when he was in, but really? Also, we were -9 with him on the bench for 8 mins in the first half and while he was playing KU had five points on two banked shots that had no business going in. Dude was absolutely awful tonight, but crushing him for that KU game is ridiculous.

All valid points -- but dude has put up really solid numbers and really solid play up until tonight. Sounding the alarm after one awful game is reactionary. It just is.

Frank is a polarizing player. I haven't bought into the Frank renaissance this year. For Pete's sake he's shooting 39% from the floor and 29% from 3.

I hope he can take care of the ball going forward and not take ill advised shots. We are all in on Frank this year.

No clue why HW didn't get 3-4 minutes in the seoond half when FH was singlehandedly keeping UConn within striking difference.
Because JB always coaches to win these games and was not going to insert an unknown quantity at that point no matter how Frank was playing. Better the devil you know...

On this one I have to disagree. I see him pointing at other players and blaming others ALOT when he turns it over.

The one pass to the invisible man in the corner early in the second half was incredibly bad. He then motions to Chukwu as though HE should have faded out to the corner and been ready for the pass? the concept of Chukwu receiving a pass in the corner and taking a three is comedy gold.

Mentioned this in the game thread. That alone just shows that Frank is Frank.

Watch all the games? UConn is a positive mid-major, except for their ball-pressure which is what you’re addressing here

Syracuse Fans may not know what ball pressure is anymore after 17 years of watching Zone

Frank handled things sub-optimally but will be fine

Battle had an over and back under pressure.
Frank's been beat on enough for one night but I have to address the spin you just spun.

Sub-optimally? Seriously?

Frank was horrible against high pressure, low pressure, and no pressure. Battle went over and back against a trap. Something different entirely.

And us SU fans have seen plenty of pressure, by watching the zone during its better years and by enduring an ample dose of Top notch opponents, thank you very much.

I think frank is going to be fine. He had a bad game but I think he is a different guy this year. Just my opinion
the belief without evidence stuff should stay on the football board.

His handle is the biggest problem. Too high, too loose. Makes me cringe wondering why we couldn’t try to recruit another guard for next year. Without battle the backcourt in 2018-2019 is very thin. Even if Carey is ready from day 1 it’s not enough.

This wasn't a bad game my man.

This was something historic.

Under 10% shooting and almost 10 turnovers?!

Thank god we can put this out of our misery. Let's never play frank against uconn again.
Agreed. This was a historically bad game, however, at the same time I am alright with thinking this is just one bad game. Terrifying to see, but we pretty much just have to pray this was won bad game, and we will get good Frank. Maybe the road trip? Maybe the quick turn around and travel days. IDK. All I know is he is going to have to be much better than that.

Kid just cant handle pressure. We are gonna miss Geno
i will wait on this. i will not miss geno at all. he was not good for the team imho.

Not FH's best game but he did have some very good passing moments. I think his game was just off a bit. I think he will be fine. Nobody want's their ear on the shouty end of JB's mouth.

After years of watching JB, I would venture a guess and say its because JB doesn't believe HW can handle the situation yet and he doesn't think 3-4 minutes is going to help the team now or HW enough to be worth the investment. If he did, he would be giving him minutes. Which is probably a statement on how much we should be expecting out of HW this year and beyond.

What other explanation can there be? JB thought he'd ride Frank to see if he'd implode last night?

His handle is the biggest problem. Too high, too loose. Makes me cringe wondering why we couldn’t try to recruit another guard for next year. Without battle the backcourt in 2018-2019 is very thin. Even if Carey is ready from day 1 it’s not enough.

We have Hughes, HW and Buddy. That’s 5 guard’s combined with Carey and Howard. BTW there’s a good chance we tie your IGGY prediction in wins during the non conference season.

FH is our best defender at the top of the zone since MCW. Those are JB's words, not mine.

HW is not close to ready for any minutes other than emergency. Those are JB's words, Not mine.

So for those same posters who write the same thing in thread after thread at naseum... there you go. Now you know why Frank stays in even when he looks like he's blatantly point shaving more than Tony was in Blue Chips.

HW will not play unless we have injuries. The Geno loss was big. Whether some want to realize it or not.

Note: HW is very calm and composed no doubt. He's just two years away.

The main problem last night with both Howard and Battle near the end was their insistence on dribbling instead of passing. Both kept looking to drive when it was time to spread it around. Both are talented players and this is not hard to fix because it has nothing to do with their skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom