Howard Washington | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington

I believe TL doesn't come back and we run a lineup of
pg-Frank Howard or 5th year transfer
sg - Battle
sf - 5th year transfer
pf - Moyer
C - TT

Oshea, Sidabe, PC, the other pg, and hopefully fresh sg (durante or ayala), Howard Washington make up the bench

Is TT playing center though? They sub him in and out with Robey at the 4.

After giving it some thought / discussing it with a few people, here's what I think is happening:
  • Staff has three open scholarships to utilize, as things stand today, based upon graduation attrition
  • Staff would like to bring in two prep guards, and prioritizes Duarte / Ayala
  • If one of those two doesn't select SU [or if Ayala doesn't reclassify], Washington will likely be next in line
  • Ayala might be making a decision in the next 4-6 weeks, now that his season is over. That's the timeframe that he's given the staff, and likely what has been communicated to HW in terms of when he can expect to get an offer or notification that the team is going in a different direction
  • The staff is also actively pursuing that 6-9 small forward from Slovakia, Marek Dolezaj, and the interest is apparently reciprocal. Think of him as a poor man's Andrei Kirilenko, in terms of comparable game
  • So, given their druthers, the staff would fill out the class by bringing in two guards and a SF, all from the HS / prep level
  • The staff also expects 2 scholarships to potentially free up this offseason, via early entry and / or transfer
  • Lydon is obviously the most obvious guy to jump to the NBA
  • Any scholarships that free up would be used to actively pursue 5th year transfer options, to upgrade at PG / SF
  • If all goes as expected, the staff will be adding 4-5 additional players [depending on how things shake out], to bring us to 11 next season

Thanks for sharing RF. I took a look at some Dolezaj clips. I'd be thrilled to get him. Looks like a real player and potentially more upside than say Moyer, IMO. Very good athlete, pretty good ballhandler, attacks the rim, passes, etc.

After giving it some thought / discussing it with a few people, here's what I think is happening:
  • Staff has three open scholarships to utilize, as things stand today, based upon graduation attrition
  • If one of those two doesn't select SU [or if Ayala doesn't reclassify], Washington will likely be next in line
  • Ayala might be making a decision in the next 4-6 weeks, now that his season is over. That's the timeframe that he's given the staff, and likely what has been communicated to HW in terms of when he can expect to get an offer or notification that the team is going in a different direction
  • The staff is also actively pursuing that 6-9 small forward from Slovakia, Marek Dolezaj, and the interest is apparently reciprocal. Think of him as a poor man's Andrei Kirilenko, in terms of comparable game
  • So, given their druthers, the staff would fill out the class by bringing in two guards and a SF, all from the HS / prep level
  • The staff also expects 2 scholarships to potentially free up this offseason, via early entry and / or transfer
  • Any scholarships that free up would be used to actively pursue 5th year transfer options, to upgrade at PG / SF
  • If all goes as expected, the staff will be adding 4-5 additional players [depending on how things shake out], to bring us to 11 next season
Will Howard announce right after the season, so prospects know it's their show, or does Battle slide over.

that all sounds great if it came together like that. would there be any concerns for this slovakian small forward as far as eligibility?

It all makes sense at least. Just feels shaky for now since, you know, that's a lot of players to try and add so late.

Will Howard announce right after the season, so prospects know it's their show, or does Battle slide over.

Any time anybody says "Battle" and "PG" in the same sentence, I wonder if they've been watching the same kid play all year that I have?? :noidea:

He is a GREAT SG, but has shown pretty much zero PG playmaking skills to date.

And there's the small matter of JB saying that Battle can't play point.
Becsuse he can't.

Any time anybody says "Battle" and "PG" in the same sentence, I wonder if they've been watching the same kid play all year that I have?? :noidea:

Becsuse he can't.

There was a time where the same would've been said about Michael Gbinije. Players can grow, improve, and adapt. Especially super talented ones.

It's not ideal, but we've gotta put our best players out there. Hopefully we bring a PG in that would belong out on the court.

Becsuse he can't.
Who else we got.

Still so confused on this one. Mind boggling, even if he's not a PG to plug right in. I don't get it.

do-it-gif-454.gif

Great stuff, thanks. I wonder who the freed up scholarship is? Candidates would be:

Howard transferring

Chukwu essentially career ending injury with the eye and leaves the program

Battle to NBA

I know most feel TB is not going to go but to me is the exact profile of guys that leave early for us. I think he is going to kill it with measurables at the combine/workouts.

Still so confused on this one. Mind boggling, even if he's not a PG to plug right in. I don't get it.

Clearly they aren't sold on him. Doesn't sound like Francis is either. I'm OK waiting for options with more upside.

Great stuff, thanks. I wonder who the freed up scholarship is? Candidates would be:

Howard transferring

Chukwu essentially career ending injury with the eye and leaves the program

Battle to NBA

I know most feel TB is not going to go but to me is the exact profile of guys that leave early for us. I think he is going to kill it with measurables at the combine/workouts.
I have a feeling we will never see Chukwu again. Vision problems don't often go away.

I've seen him play more than once, he reminds me a lot of Tyler Ennis. He's more of a PG then Frank Howard will ever be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom