Postgame Thoughts… Auburn | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Auburn

If we’re going to throw Princeton type athletes out there, we should try to run their offense.

Give me a team with Buddy and Jessie with Joe, Cole and Jimmy as my # 6-8 players and we can compete….but.,,

And for the record, Buddy can absolutely be a 22ppg scorer of a good ACC team…he needs help. I’d live with him taking 25-30 shots per game in this team.
This is tough to read but the truth really, really, really hurts

Can't get too upset about the loss.
The margin, yes.
The loss, no.

Auburn is a potential Final Four team.
They're that good.
Deep, talented, athletic, tough, strong defenders with an offense that can beat you inside and out.
And, dare I say, they're also pretty well coached.

There are zero flaws, for the players, and that’s who matters in all of it.
Players count. But they're not the only component of the system. Universities provide the education and fund the programs. Coaching staffs recruit student-athletes and construct team rosters. And fans support college athletics. Flexibility is a good thing. But the current rule ("it's all about me") is not sustainable.

I think fatigue was a huge factor tonight…But it all points back to the coach. Even with full rest, we’re not beating Auburn.

Jimmy B cannot guard anyone. It’s tough to watch. I feel bad for him. But he gives effort. The guards don’t challenge shooters…ever. The Girard death stare has been really ineffective so far, surprisingly. Swider over extends every single possession and can’t recover. Poor Jessie ends up trying to cover for the forwards and ends up out of position.

Duke is going to put up 55 per half on us.

Jessie, Buddy and a wide open Cole, Jimmy and Joe are our only offensive threats against good teams.

We cannot manufacture any offense from our defense. Hell, we can barely manufacture defense from our defense.

We box out, watch the ball hit the floor in close to our players and still get beat to it. It’s comical.

As far as the PG position goes….against real peer programs….our assist to Turnover numbers are 16 assists 17 TOs. That’s not going to cut it. It’s so much work to get over half court into our sets. Joe gives us some offense, but he still takes bad shots. Sy can’t shoot and he’s struggling with his ball handling too. Marek took so much pressure off Joe last year - Jimmy/Cole can’t do that.

If we’re going to throw Princeton type athletes out there, we should try to run their offense.

Give me a team with Buddy and Jessie with Joe, Cole and Jimmy as my # 6-8 players and we can compete….but.,,

And for the record, Buddy can absolutely be a 22ppg scorer of a good ACC team…he needs help. I’d live with him taking 25-30 shots per game in this team.
If Buddy was the SG on the 2014 team they would have been a favorite to cut down the nets.
He was exactly the player that lacked.
One who could consistently make jumpers and with Ennis, Fair and Grant he would have fit in.

Defense would have protected him and we would have had the scoring.

It’s just the truth.
We aren’t trying to compete with the top teams in the nation. We are trying to white knuckle into the tournament and be a plucky overachieving team.

Swiders first 6 games 6-14, 4-8, 3-8, 2-14(first time on the road this year), 7-12, and 5-11 (should of been 6-11 on a fast break. 12-12 from the line on the season.

He's up to 12 shots on average, Wouldnt mind if he gets up to 16-17 per game.

Last edited:
I think fatigue was a huge factor tonight…But it all points back to the coach. Even with full rest, we’re not beating Auburn.

Jimmy B cannot guard anyone. It’s tough to watch. I feel bad for him. But he gives effort. The guards don’t challenge shooters…ever. The Girard death stare has been really ineffective so far, surprisingly. Swider over extends every single possession and can’t recover. Poor Jessie ends up trying to cover for the forwards and ends up out of position.

Duke is going to put up 55 per half on us.

Jessie, Buddy and a wide open Cole, Jimmy and Joe are our only offensive threats against good teams.

We cannot manufacture any offense from our defense. Hell, we can barely manufacture defense from our defense.

We box out, watch the ball hit the floor in close to our players and still get beat to it. It’s comical.

As far as the PG position goes….against real peer programs….our assist to Turnover numbers are 16 assists 17 TOs. That’s not going to cut it. It’s so much work to get over half court into our sets. Joe gives us some offense, but he still takes bad shots. Sy can’t shoot and he’s struggling with his ball handling too. Marek took so much pressure off Joe last year - Jimmy/Cole can’t do that.

I agree with your last paragraph (and the post). Only thing is that in our situation, and I’m purely guessing here, if he consistently gets up that many shots, I can’t imagine Joe and, especially, Swider being super stoked.

We were good 2 out of 6 halfs defensively this tournament, and not just bad but really bad 3 of the 4. One of the two we were good at the other team still had around 28 points with 6 1/2 minutes in the half.

That's 3 out of 9 halfs going back to Drexel. No question we needed work defensively before this tournament. Imo, we were not ready, and losing the first game in a 3 day tournament is the worst without a bench you expend so much in game 2 (good thing we won).

Joe Girard didn't really show up today. I'm glad Symir got the extended run in the second half, because it's the first time he's looked natural out there as a player. He did a few good things, still made some bad mistakes. But clear improvement from him.

Jesse was terrific again today. He's got spirit. He's getting better about not fouling, because Auburn played a pretty physical game. In fact, I don't think it's pointless complaining to say that Auburn grabbed a lot on defense. "Intensity", sure. But lots of fouls that weren't called, too.

Jimmy was also a no show today. He was intimidated by those big guys inside. He was necessary to help Joe beat the press in the first half, but boy, he had a stinker today.

Swider was ok, but when we needed him early, he too was intimidated by the Auburn front line. I think Cole got better as the game went on, but we were already in a 10 point hole for much of that time. He was keeping us in the game, on the one hand, but he's just not in his top gear yet.

Buddy showed how to keep grinding out points when they won't let you get a clear look from three. For him to have a bad game and still put up 17 points and make a bunch of good plays - steals, assists, rebounds - you can't expect him to get 20-25 every game. So if this is his "floor", I'll take it.

What we need to win games: (1) at least two of Buddy, Joe or Cole have to be making threes, (2) Jesse staying out of foul trouble, and (3) Symir getting comfortable against the press, and presenting some threat pushing the ball on offense.

Wanted to take a little time before posting . . .
-In my opinion here is the biggest problem with his team. The players are being asked to do things they cannot do. Coaches are supposed to put players in a position to succeed. However JG3 is not a point guard who can distribute and run an offense. Jimmy and Cole cannot be asked to be anything more than contributing rebounders on a major conference team. For us they are being asked to be the second and third best rebounders on the team. This is something they physically cannot do.
-as I said during the game thread JG3 makes 2 to 3 turnovers a game that major conference point guards simply do not make. To make things worse he has this indefensible habit of taking off-balance three pointers that are essentially turnovers. His close outs on shooters continue to be awful. I was surprised that JB finally held him accountable and sat JG3 for such a long stretch in the second half.
-I was hoping symir would be a better version of Howard Washington that could get the ball up court against pressure and distribute the ball. So far he has not reached that standard. He had five turnovers in 21 minutes including two one-handed risky passes that even had they been completed would have accomplished nothing. His handle is not bad and may be better than Joe’s but the problem is if he gets fouled breaking the press he can’t make free throws.
-Jimmy is playing as hard as he possibly can. But there is a reason he was playing in the Ivy League. To ask him to score and rebound against athletes like those in the Auburn front line is borderline unfair and not a recipe for success. He would be a nice piece on a more talented team, think backing up Quincy.
-Even the greatest optimist among us has to admit that Benny is not ready. He seems afraid to put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop. In 21 minutes he did not get a single rebound. He looks lost on d. On the bright side he played hard, went after loose balls and made a couple of nice passes. I think if he continues to get time things will slow down for him and we will see some significant progress. However who amongst us didn’t expect more even at this early stage?
-Buddy is our best guy but if he is not open he can’t play isoball and have the other four guys standing around watching.
-I like Cole. He is playing hard and clearly is invested. He is not a good rebounder but he’s doing the best he can again being asked to do something that he is not equipped to do. I see him continuing to improve and go to the basket with success like he did in the first half today.
-Obviously the best thing that happened in the Bahamas was the emergence of Jesse. I’m hoping we can see more attempts to get him the ball. The problem is that we don’t have any guards who are equipped to drive and dish. Jesse and Benny would definitely benefit from a Kadary type guard who dribbles with their head up and can get into the lane without allowing the defense enough time to come steal the ball from behind.
-A lot of us felt pessimistic early in the season last year when we were struggling against the liked of Bryant and northeastern. And things obviously got better. But the difference here is that I don’t know that we are athletic enough or talented enough or big enough to get better even with these guys working as hard as they can which I am sure they will do.

Not saying im right, but buddys backdown appears to give all day for the D to grab the rebound. Jims drive and miss or get blocked, and Swider's quick pullup is less telegraphed so we can get offensive boards.

Our forwards are not drawing the help defender for the dish inside. They have to learn how to wait for him to get there, or drive into the help defender if he wont rotate. They only use help D on Jimmy when hes going all the way to the rim, and swider never. They even leave swider way open way to often. Jimmy and Swider should burn them together with the 10 foot pullup for about 25 points to they do with their height. Buddys backdown should be after that to lay extra punishment and fear. Its a no offensive board shot option. More reason to try Buddy/Swider defensively up top some.

Last edited:
when the sweet 16 ended, a bunch of way too early polls pegged us as a top 20 team heading into next season. Then we promptly lost our best ball handler and driver AND the entire forward rotation (4 players) and proceeded to replace them with…a pretty good Ivy League player, Nova’s sixth or seventh man and one unproven freshman. The roster management is…suspect.

This. Arguing about lineups with this roster is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Not saying im right, but buddys backdown appears to give all day for the D to grab the rebound. Jims drive and miss or get blocked, and Swider's quick pullup is less telegraphed so we can get offensive boards.

Especially if they can eventually draw the help defender for the dish inside and wait for him to get there. They only use help D on Jimmy when hes going all the way to the rim, and swider never. They should burn them together with the 10 foot pullup for about 25 points to they do. Buddys backdown should be after that to lay extra punishment and fear. More reason to try Buddy/Swider defensively up top for 8-10 a game.

I think it's something Devo has taught him, but he's got to be quicker with it. Cole, too.

They both got their pockets picked, especially when you go back to the same side a 2nd time with your dribble. That gives the guy off the ball time to swoop in for the steal.

Last edited:
Symir has his issues but anyone who doesn’t think the offense runs way better with him at the point isn’t paying attention

Symir has had 1 good half in 6 games so far. Let's pump the brakes on that thought, and let's hope he can continue to improve.

I think it's something Devo has taught him, but he's got to be quicker with it. Cole, too.

They both got their pockets picked, especially when you go back the same side a 2nd time with your dribble. That gives the guy off the ball time to swoop in for the steal.

Yup. Im just waiting for them to blow right by their guy 1 step from their center. and make them pay with a pullup or lob. Jim is almost there, but Cole is behind schedule.

Players count. But they're not the only component of the system. Universities provide the education and fund the programs. Coaching staffs recruit student-athletes and construct team rosters. And fans support college athletics. Flexibility is a good thing. But the current rule ("it's all about me") is not sustainable.
Complaining about it as a fan makes it seem like it’s all about you

He’s right . Not because of how great the other teams were , but because his team for the first time was like bringing a knife to a gun fight

Our forwards are not drawing the help defender for the dish inside. They have to learn how to wait for him to get there, or drive into the help defender if he wont rotate. They only use help D on Jimmy when hes going all the way to the rim, and swider never. They even leave swider way open way to often. Jimmy and Swider should burn them together with the 10 foot pullup for about 25 points to they do with their height. Buddys backdown should be after that to lay extra punishment and fear. Its a no offensive board shot option. More reason to try Buddy/Swider defensively up top some.
The backdown is what it always was and always will be .. a crutch against inferior opponents that doesn’t work even a little bit against this level of competition. For this reason I wish it would go away and they’d develop some other offensive set that has an actual chance of working against real competition

I went to the Hornets game. Went to a bar first and caught a little of the game. Got in the game early and watched some of the game on the TVs in there.

Eh. 3rd game in 3 nights against a better and more athletic team. Edwards looked good.

Why did their kid talk crap to our bench after hitting a 3? What was that about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom