so much bad basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

so much bad basketball

It used to be a standard one on one move. Fake one way, go hard the other way, jump stop, 10-12 footer off the glass.
It should be as fundamental as any other offensive skill.
Agreed, I was taught a jump stop.

I was more saying on a fast break, these guys are flying. Stopping your momentum and pulling via jump stop at 15' isn't as easy as it might look. Actually, it is pretty difficult in my book. At least for non-skilled guys like me.

Last edited:
Agreed, I was taught a jump stop.

I was more saying on a fast break, these guys are flying. Stopping your momentum and pulling via jump stop at 15' isn't as easy as it might look. Actually, it is pretty difficult in my book. At least for non-skilled guys like me.
It's a little different on a fast break, but not too difficult if you stay in control and run the break properly by being spread and filling lanes as opposed to the ball handler just going in on 2 guys or 1 on 1 when it's a 2 or 3 on 1 break. We were always taught to make the defender(s) commit and leave someone alone. If you go straight to the hole, you're making it easy on the defender. I don't want to get pedantic, but I see fewer and fewer teams run the break the way we were taught back in the late 70s/ early 80s. We ran 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 drills for hours, it seemed.

I was watching the osu game last night and Walton had one of his lucid moments calling out a guard who drove by his man only to run into two other defenders who were firmly established. Charge called appropriately. Walton said what I say to my kid ab some of his teammates all the time. Instead of trying to drive into 2 bigger defenders, pull up and take an easy 10-14 foot jumper. My kid is excellent at this, to the point I call it The “VT Jrs name.”

Joe made the wrong choice, and took it to a guy a full foot taller than him against UVA. Buddy would have made the right choice. These are just examples, not meant to degrade our players. I think this is just one of the ways AAU hoops has overall hurt the game. Teaching kids poor fundamentals.
One of the reasons players don't utilize the jump-stop stems from analytics. Coaches have learned that the best shot in basketball based on point-per-possession is the free throw. The second best is a layup or dunk. The third is the corner three, and the fourth is the wing/point three-pointer. Behind all of those are midrange jumpers, which have lower PPP based the on distance of the shot and don't draw many fouls.

As a result, the jump-stop is not a focal point in coaching because it leads to more midrange shots. The hope is that taking the ball at the defenders will result in more free throws and layups/dunks. However, the side effects of this philosophy include more offensive fouls, more shots blocked, and more turnovers.

Truthfully, footwork in general has declined in college basketball over the years. I've said it many times, and I probably will many more over the next two years: a major reason why Buddy is a great shooter is his footwork prior to the catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom