The Safety Position - Thinking Out Loud | Syracusefan.com

The Safety Position - Thinking Out Loud

hburgcuse

Walk On
Looking into the potential 2015 depth chart, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is concerned about the Safety position. We only have 2 returning scholarship players (Rodney Williams and Chauncey Scissum) and maybe only 1 player coming in (Christopher Frederick) since we've been reading that Marquise Blair and Treevon Prater may not have their academics in order. I suppose there still is the potential of adding another Safety this year (Jay Stocker?), but still there is a huge hole to fill here.

Can we assume that somebody, or a couple somebodies, will be moved to Safety this spring?
And if so, who do you think will get moved?

Wayne Morgan?
He was recruited as a safety and though he may be undersized, so were Desir and Kelly.
With him possibly receiving a 5th year for injury, he might have 2 seasons remaining.
I personally think we need him at safety more than at cornerback.
None of the other corners seem big enough to make the move over to Safety - maybe Corey Winfield but I'd like to see him start opposite Julian Whigham.

Devante McFarlane?
Didn't he have experience practicing at safety, or did they originally think he'd be a safety? Help me with my memory!
The depth at RB is looking pretty nice right now, and after reading the RB thread there aren't many who see McFarlane as THE GUY. Maybe we're okay with Phillips and Strickland and Morris.
Maybe McFarlane can become the next Tebucky Jones or Diamond Ferri.
He also has 2 seasons remaining.

Ben Lewis?
Some have mentioned before that maybe Lewis could move to Safety.
He certainly has the size you'd want and some darn fine ball skills.
He would have to change his uniform number though.

Jonathan Thomas?
Thomas is listed at only 202 lbs. this year. What is his speed like?
With decent depth at Linebacker, maybe this move makes sense.
He will have 3 years remaining.

One or Two of the incoming Freshman Running Backs?
Although Strickland looks like he could become a dominant Running Back, perhaps he could have an immediate impact at Safety. I'd much rather keep him at Running Back though, as we could use his explosiveness on offense right away.
I'd like to see Jordan Fredericks begin at Safety when he arrives in the fall, or Perkins.
But that's the thing - we have to wait until the fall until these 3 guys arrive.

Does Naesean Howard make it back on the team?
There were some mumblings on this forum recently that seem to have been squashed.
We sure could use him!

I would love to see 2 more Safeties this spring with Scissum and Williams.
Thoughts?

The whole secondary is a concern. I don't think moving McFarlane or Lewis is an option at this point, but I would imagine some from the WR group gets some reps on defense in the Spring.

Looking into the potential 2015 depth chart, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is concerned about the Safety position. We only have 2 returning scholarship players (Rodney Williams and Chauncey Scissum) and maybe only 1 player coming in (Christopher Frederick) since we've been reading that Marquise Blair and Treevon Prater may not have their academics in order. I suppose there still is the potential of adding another Safety this year (Jay Stocker?), but still there is a huge hole to fill here.

Can we assume that somebody, or a couple somebodies, will be moved to Safety this spring?
And if so, who do you think will get moved?

Wayne Morgan?
He was recruited as a safety and though he may be undersized, so were Desir and Kelly.
With him possibly receiving a 5th year for injury, he might have 2 seasons remaining.
I personally think we need him at safety more than at cornerback.
None of the other corners seem big enough to make the move over to Safety - maybe Corey Winfield but I'd like to see him start opposite Julian Whigham.

Devante McFarlane?
Didn't he have experience practicing at safety, or did they originally think he'd be a safety? Help me with my memory!
The depth at RB is looking pretty nice right now, and after reading the RB thread there aren't many who see McFarlane as THE GUY. Maybe we're okay with Phillips and Strickland and Morris.
Maybe McFarlane can become the next Tebucky Jones or Diamond Ferri.

Ben Lewis?
Some have mentioned before that maybe Lewis could move to Safety.
He certainly has the size you'd want and some darn fine ball skills.
He would have to change his uniform number though.

Jonathan Thomas?
Thomas is listed at only 202 lbs. this year. What is his speed like?
With decent depth at Linebacker, maybe this move makes sense.
He will have 3 years remaining.

One or Two of the incoming Freshman Running Backs?
Although Strickland looks like he could become a dominant Running Back, perhaps he could have an immediate impact at Safety. I'd much rather keep him at Running Back though, as we could use his explosiveness on offense right away.
I'd like to see Jordan Fredericks begin at Safety when he arrives in the fall, or Perkins.
But that's the thing - we have to wait until the fall until these 3 guys arrive.

Does Naesean Howard make it back on the team?
There were some mumblings on this forum recently that seem to have been squashed.
We sure could use him!

I would love to see 2 more Safeties this spring with Scissum and Williams.
Thoughts?
No Naesean Howard does not make it back with team as he will be playing at wagner..

My guess-
Wayne moves back to safety. Freshman year he filled in for Shamarko in okie.
McFarlane may move over- was a S initially then moved over due to lack of playmakers on offense. I think he's the better of the 2 backs coming back though so would like to see him stay on offense unless one of the freshmen is a stud.
Thomas will be a beast at LB. Has a big frame, only played football since high school.
Lewis is better suited for offense.

I could see a starting four of Whig, Winfield, Morgan, and Williams. Cordy as the nickel.

RICuse44 said:
My guess- Wayne moves back to safety. Freshman year he filled in for Shamarko in okie. McFarlane may move over- was a S initially then moved over due to lack of playmakers on offense. I think he's the better of the 2 backs coming back though so would like to see him stay on offense unless one of the freshmen is a stud. Thomas will be a beast at LB. Has a big frame, only played football since high school. Lewis is better suited for offense. I could see a starting four of Whig, Winfield, Morgan, and Williams. Cordy as the nickel.

One of the freshman running backs.

Strickland or Fredericks.

watching film it feels like both FR Rb are better than what we have here now.

watching film it feels like both FR Rb are better than what we have here now.

Did they look better than the HS tape of the guys we have here now?

I think whig played safety in high school. Similar frame as eskridge and quite frankly he is a liability in press coverage. Not sure if his tackling skills are strong enough.

My guess-
Wayne moves back to safety. Freshman year he filled in for Shamarko in okie.
McFarlane may move over- was a S initially then moved over due to lack of playmakers on offense. I think he's the better of the 2 backs coming back though so would like to see him stay on offense unless one of the freshmen is a stud.
Thomas will be a beast at LB. Has a big frame, only played football since high school.
Lewis is better suited for offense.

I could see a starting four of Whig, Winfield, Morgan, and Williams. Cordy as the nickel.

I fully anticipate Dowels to make an impact this year and think it was a coup that the staff was able to redshirt him.

Morgan is probably a near definite to move back to safety.

Did they look better than the HS tape of the guys we have here now?

I thought Morris' HS tape was pretty good. Ironically I remember him catching a lot of passes in it.

McFarlene was originally recruited as a safety.

The two NY kids display a lot of wiggle - which I like in a back (phillips) with the ability to make people miss. I think all 3 have a burst, visiion and the type of athleticism we've been missing at the spot. It's a nice haul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom